T-5 Backup/Neutral Safety Harness

GearHd6

Jul 19, 2005
Ashford, CT
Im doing an AOD to T-5 tranny swap and im wondering if that T-5 wiring harness is really needed. Can I just tap the AOD back up light wires into the switch on the T-5? And what exactly does the neutral safety switch do seeing you need to have the clutch in to start the car anyway?

• Sponsors (?)

I just did the T-5 swap and you do not need the harness . there is a plug under the dash that already has a jumper wire plugged into it so just dont plug it in to the pedal switch and just loop the two wires from the aod tranny in the trans tunnel together and you'll be fine . as for the backup lights you can just wire them directly to the switch on the t-5 , there are two little threaded prongs on the T-5 and you can just get some connectors at HomeDepot or radio shack and hook them up .

BACK UP SWITCH HARNESS

I AM DOING THE SAME AOD TO T-5 SWAP ON MY 1991 STANG. I WAS WONDERING THE SAME THING! WHAT IS THAT SWITCH ON THE FRONT OF THE T-5 WITH THE HARNESS ALREADY ON IT? IS THAT THE NUETRAL SAFETY SWITCH?
ALSO I NEED TO HOOK UP MY BACK UP LIGHTS. DID YOU GET THAT HARNESS THEY RECOMMEND?

THANKS ,
BLK3DGT

BLK3DGT said:
I AM DOING THE SAME AOD TO T-5 SWAP ON MY 1991 STANG. I WAS WONDERING THE SAME THING! WHAT IS THAT SWITCH ON THE FRONT OF THE T-5 WITH THE HARNESS ALREADY ON IT? IS THAT THE NUETRAL SAFETY SWITCH?
ALSO I NEED TO HOOK UP MY BACK UP LIGHTS. DID YOU GET THAT HARNESS THEY RECOMMEND?

THANKS ,
BLK3DGT

Not sure about the plug on the front of the tranny . I did not get the harness for the backup lights as I searched high and low and could not find one so I just wired it up directly .

BLK3DGT said:

THANKS ,
BLK3DGT

The switch on the top cover is the neutral safety switch, the one on the left side of the tranny is the back up light switch.