T-5 Clutch Release Bearing - did I do this right?

oz

Founding Member
Jun 29, 2000
Plymouth, MI
Greetings,
Can someone who has some experience installing clutches let me know if I did this right (assembly and grease placement)? I think I did but I just need some confirmation for my peace of mind.

A big concern I have is that the springs on the back of the fork don't really do anything to keep the TOB in the fork. Are they supposed to push against the back part of the TOB flange? I assume that they are really just an assembly aid to keep the TOB near the center so you can install the transmission. Is this true or is there something wrong with my fork?

As for grease placement, I cleaned up everything and put hi-temp bearing grease on the pivot ball, and on the fork where it touches the TOB. I also put just a little on the springs behind the bearing. I filled the groove inside the TOB with grease and used a screwdriver to scrape off the excess so that the grease is only in the groove. Finally, I put a very thin coat of grease on the TOB where it touches the clutch fingers.
Does this sound right?

THANK YOU!!!

• Sponsors (?)

f8tlfiveo,
Thanks for the reply.
As far as greasing the shaft, are you talking about the shaft on the transmission input? If so, I haven't installed the transmission yet - I wanted to make sure I did the bellhousing/clutch/TOB right first....
The TOB has grease in the groove inside it - where it goes over the transmission input so I was just planning to put a very thin layer of grease on the shaft. Is this correct?