Drivetrain T-5 Neutral Safety Switch Pin

So I'm trying to assembly my T-5. I went to a ton of trouble to make my manual neutral safety switch work in a car that had been an automatic. Everything is good, including the switch itself. I tested the switch with an ohmmeter today. It's closed when out and open when in. But when you install it in the transmission, it's always in for some reason. No matter what gear it's in. Why would that be? The little pin is in there, and when you move the shifter, I can feel something happening at the pin, but it never goes in or out. Please help!

• Sponsors (?)

Shifter rail inside the T-5 installed upside down?

Remove the NGS and stick your finger in to feel the pin. Shift from neutral into a gear. Can you actually feel the pin rise and fall?

A friend lent me a Badshoe T-5 video, and it actually has how to do this!

All you need to do is, knock this roll pin out of this teardrop piece, turn the shaft over, and reinstall it!

GVf8Vvb.jpg

Not so bad!

Yes, it's pretty easy. Before you go that far, you should be able to pull the shaft back far enough to see the tip and verify that it is, in fact, installed upside down.

Did you assembly the T5? Or do you know if it was ever rebuilt?

Yeah, this thing has been apart many times. I haven't been using the neutral safety switch until this year. In fact, I had a plug there instead. The car had an automatic harness, and I went to the trouble earlier this year of redoing all that so it was correct for a manual computer. Then I noticed the clutch wouldn't adjust correctly, and out came the transmission.

Reactions: 1 user
Today I took it all back apart, and sure enough, there's the shaft, upside down.

Xqm7ukH.jpg

Drove the roll pin out, got the roll pin punch stuck in the shaft (everything can't go right, can it?), turned the shaft over, and drove it back in. I mocked up the cover, and tested the neutral safety switch, and we're all good. It's now closed in neutral and open in gear. Question answered.

Reactions: 1 users