T-5 to AOD....yes thats right

ZelenVR

Founding Member
May 30, 1999
Boise, ID
Before I get jumped on I did a search and only came up with things going the other way. :)

My buddy's T-5 is tearing itself apart and he's kinda short on funds so I said he could have an AOD that I have sitting around. What changes need to be made when going in this direction? What can stay in case we throw a T-5 back in later?
One area of concern was the cable that runs up near the TB from the tranny, think its called the TV cable (might be wrong on that). It that going to be a problem since the T-5 may not have the setup up top to recieve it? Grasping at straws here since I've never even thought about going in this direction with trannys. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

I think it would be smarter and cheaper for him to just get the T5 rebuilt. It'll eliminate having to buy an auto computer and all the other stuff youll have to do. And a 5spd is alot more fun to have. If he's into racing, and you put in an auto times will be slower than with a T5. Unless you want to go get gears, a shift kit, torque converter, shifter, etc.

I have noticed that the stock throttle bodies have the place to hook up the TV cale even on the T-5 cars. Also I don't see why you would need to change computers. The computer has nothing to do with an AOD and many people use AOD computers with a T-5 so it should work the other way around. You will need the cooler lines and a shifter of course. Unless he really wants an auto it would be cheaper to just get the T-5 fixed like everyone else said.

I would have to agree, about the rebuild compared to swapping in a stock AOD. If it was a built AOD then it might be worth the trouble to swap. I swapped from a Tremec to an Art Carr AOD and love it. Not for the consisant times, but mainly for ease of driving. I got tired of the 5 speed, since all stangs were 5 speeds.

But to swap you will need the trans,converter, flexplate, motor index plate, different fylwheel bolts(aods are shoter), harness for neutral saftey/back up lights, pedal assembly, shifter(and nessecary cables and brakets), TV cable and probably a few little things I am forgetting.

But if this is only temp you can leave the 5 speed pedals in and put the clutch pedal under the carpet. (Bad thing is the car will start in any gear...) All you would have to do is pull out the pilot bearing, add the trans, flexplate, conveter and shifter. The harness is optional but will have to jump the neutral saftey wire at the plug... Plus hook up the TV cable..Unless you run a manual valve body.

Like stated, if you plan on swappin a stock AOD,, I would even go through half that hassle for that...

Myke86GT said:
I would have to agree, about the rebuild compared to swapping in a stock AOD. If it was a built AOD then it might be worth the trouble to swap. I swapped from a Tremec to an Art Carr AOD and love it. Not for the consisant times, but mainly for ease of driving. I got tired of the 5 speed, since all stangs were 5 speeds.

But to swap you will need the trans,converter, flexplate, motor index plate, different fylwheel bolts(aods are shoter), harness for neutral saftey/back up lights, pedal assembly, shifter(and nessecary cables and brakets), TV cable and probably a few little things I am forgetting.

But if this is only temp you can leave the 5 speed pedals in and put the clutch pedal under the carpet. (Bad thing is the car will start in any gear...) All you would have to do is pull out the pilot bearing, add the trans, flexplate, conveter and shifter. The harness is optional but will have to jump the neutral saftey wire at the plug... Plus hook up the TV cable..Unless you run a manual valve body.

Like stated, if you plan on swappin a stock AOD,, I would even go through half that hassle for that...

Thanks bud, this is what I was looking for. I have a entire AOD donor car of the same year as my friend's stang, which is why it's being considered. Normally he'd just get the t-5 rebuilt, but we're talking about his daily driver and having to put food on the table so he needs a vehicle ASAP to get to and from work.
I do have a 2400k convertor and a shift kit on the AOD so he wont be too bad off.
BTW, how much shorter do the flywheel bolts have to be? Any idea?

Thanks again all :nice:

The Shape said:
I have noticed that the stock throttle bodies have the place to hook up the TV cale even on the T-5 cars. Also I don't see why you would need to change computers. The computer has nothing to do with an AOD and many people use AOD computers with a T-5 so it should work the other way around. You will need the cooler lines and a shifter of course. Unless he really wants an auto it would be cheaper to just get the T-5 fixed like everyone else said.

Im currently using an Auto computer with a T5. You can do this with no problem. You cant use a T5 computer for an AOD. Do a search if you dont believe me. I just think taking it to a shop to get rebuilt would be easier and save time.

PhLoBuS said:
myke86 love the 86 :)

Thanks....

ZelenVR---------

As for the length of the bolts, I am not sure on the lenght difference. I ordered a set of ARP for mine from summit. The are shorter because a manual flywheel is thicker than the auto flexplate. If you have a complete donor car and an AOD with a little something done I say swap it out. Just be sure to adjust the TV cable correctly.

The T-5 EEC will work, but the auto has different timing/fuel curve. An auto EEC would the way to go, but the car will run without the auto computer. Have buddies who swap out t-5's for C4's and use the manual EEC, without nay prob..

ZelenVR said:
Thanks bud, this is what I was looking for. I have a entire AOD donor car of the same year as my friend's stang, which is why it's being considered. Normally he'd just get the t-5 rebuilt, but we're talking about his daily driver and having to put food on the table so he needs a vehicle ASAP to get to and from work.
I do have a 2400k convertor and a shift kit on the AOD so he wont be too bad off.
BTW, how much shorter do the flywheel bolts have to be? Any idea?

Thanks again all :nice:
Sounds like you have everything you need to do the swap. I still don't know why the computer wouldn't work, but since you have a donor car you have that covered.

ON EDIT: Thanks Myke I knew that even though the timing and fuel curves were a bit different I had seen people use the auto computer without any problem. Glad to hear you like the Art Carr AOD. When my AOD finally goes that is the replacement I am planning. After having two T-5 stangs in the past, I definently prefer my auto for daily driving.

Thanks everyone, I needed the input.
Yeah I told my bud it'd just be eaiser all the way around to pay for the rebuild but also said if he wants the AOD its his with the T-5 stuff in trade to me :D
Arent there places that you can send your stock T-5 and they send it back with the straight cut gears and beefy internals? I seem to remember reading something about that in a 5.0 or MM&FF around 6 months ago but cant seem to find the article. Might have been a little further back though. Might be remembering it wrong also.
They always said crack rots the mind but I never believed them... :D

Don't forget the big one...tranny cooler. If you do have a donor car, I wouldn't think it would be difficult, just time consuming. I would also do a thorough research on TV cable adjusting, as well as tranny fluid replacement and topping off. If you do either one wrong the tranny won't last past the test out run around the block. You will also need the jumper connections that are on the aod car and stick them into the T5 car so your car will start. If I remember, there are 2 by the pedals and one by the front console. If it were me, I would line the cars side by side, and take off one component at a time and replace.

Myke86GT said:
The T-5 EEC will work, but the auto has different timing/fuel curve. An auto EEC would the way to go, but the car will run without the auto computer. Have buddies who swap out t-5's for C4's and use the manual EEC, without nay prob..
I myself would feel more confortable with the computer used for the automatic transmission. However it makes complete sense because the AOD is a mechanical transmission and doesn't rely on circuitry or computer input for its shift points.

Myke86GT said:
Now why do you like the auto computer that much better? Are you saying the timing/fuel curves are less or more aggressive?

By the way....

Conveter: TCI streetfighter $350
Transgo AOD hp shift kit: $70

You already have the AOD and you should do gears with either transmission so it is cheaper to go AOD than to rebuild a T-5 for $800.

I run a carb so that just shows you how important the computer is to the transmission. To set the TV, just pull it till there is zero slack with the throttle closed. Even if its a bit more agressive with a few psi, it wont matter. There are some valvebodies that run a full pressure (125 or 150?) full time so a few pis fulltime shouldnt hurt you.

This would be an excellent time to take the AOD apart and do a rebuild but I see there is a time constraint. The RB kit is about 70 bucks and if you can pull a few snaprings, it's just unstacking some drums, replacing some clutches inside the drums and restacking the drums. The VB mods like a shift kit is realy easy. They even provide the exact drillbits for each hole you need to drill and an overlay so you know exactly where they need to be drilled.

Just my thoughts.

Good luck and AOD away! PS, you'll love your new highway cruising rpm's. =)

87'GTstang said:
Now why do you like the auto computer that much better? Are you saying the timing/fuel curves are less or more aggressive?

The curves are suppose to more aggrsive in the auto ECU's.. Some of the stock class racers like them over the A9L's for that reason. But to be honest when my car was a 5 speed, I swapped the manual ECU for the auto ECU, and didn't notice any difference. Figured since I had the A9P, before doing the swap, might as well try it....

crazypete, is right about building the AOD's. They aren't all that hard. Just when you pull it apart lay it out on a bench in the order it came out. Replaces clutches and seals in one drum at a time. Plus get the rebuild manual, it has allot of good info and pics. I have mine apart right now freshing it up, since I sent my converter back to be re-stalled.

Don't let me mislead you,, They aren't hard to build,,BUT :rolleyes: (always a but... :D ), you need to have the right tools. And that's mainly for a complete overhaul.(bushings, seals) To replace clutches is simple, and really on need a good screw driver to pop a few snap rings out..

Myke86GT said:
Don't let me mislead you,, They aren't hard to build,,BUT :rolleyes: (always a but... :D ), you need to have the right tools. And that's mainly for a complete overhaul.(bushings, seals) To replace clutches is simple, and really on need a good screw driver to pop a few snap rings out..
Some snap rings can be a pain in the ass, but nonetheless you do need the correct tools. Sometimes a puller is a must and if you want to overhaul the transmission correctly, you must attain a bearing driver set - there is no way you can drive some of those bushings or bearings without doing some damage to them. Good luck anyway, but I still love the manual.