T-5 Whining Sound In Neutral

Hi, I have an 89 GT convertible. It has a T-5 in it. When I got it I knew I had to replace the throwout bearing, so I decided to do a whole clutch. I did an Exidy from American Muscle, new flywheel from Ford Racing, throwout bearing, and pilot bearing. After doing that I had a quadrant installed because the stock one wasn't adjusting when the clutch was replaced, and in fact broke.
When I have the clutch engaged (on the floor), it's quiet. When I let the clutch out in neutral, I get this whining sound. It's reminiscent of a truck engaging its PTO, but not as loud. I can't tell if it's happening while the clutch is out and the vehicle is in gear because I can't hear it over the exhaust and road noise. The average person doesn't notice it, but I do, and I'm sure anyone on this forum would. It's driving me crazy, and really preventing me from enjoying the car. Also, my girlfriend told me the car "smells" when she's behind it. "Like gasoline or exhaust?" I asked. She couldn't describe it, but I'm positive she's smelling clutch lining, and I may have smelled it a few times also. The clutch has approximately 500 miles or more on it. Any guesses on what is causing that whining? If it's something simple I'd like to try it myself before sending it back to the mechanic and putting it on the lift. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mattie

• Sponsors (?)

Another thought would be the bearing retainer. Does your transmission have the original aluminum retainer? What kind of shape was it in when you installed the new TOB?

Most folks swap those out for a steel one like this:

lrs-7050_7558[1].jpg

If you have not done that, then the retainer is also suspect.

Another thought would be the bearing retainer. Does your transmission have the original aluminum retainer? What kind of shape was it in when you installed the new TOB?

Most folks swap those out for a steel one like this:

lrs-7050_7558[1].jpg

If you have not done that, then the retainer is also suspect.

It does have the original. I was really trying to replace everything I could get to. I did the rear main while it was out. What is that shaft the retainer is holding?

Thank you very much for the info Noobz. I'm sure I didn't replace that. I get a sick feeling that this tranny is coming out again. Ugh!

Either way, plan on installing a NEW Throw Out Bearing. If you see that the shaft is galled (and is the problem), don't assume than you should replace the retainer and reinstall the same TOB. Replace it anyway.

I prefer Ford OEM for Throw Out Bearings.

Did you do the clutch or did you pay someone to do it for you? Most mechanics will drain the transmission before attempting to remove it from the car. If the wrong transmission lubricant is used, the T5 will have problems. Gear oil commonly used in other manual transmissions is too thick to properly lubricate the needle roller bearings between the shafts and the gears. This is especially true of the input shaft. The recommended lubricant is Dextron III automatic transmission lubricant.

Did you do the clutch or did you pay someone to do it for you? Most mechanics will drain the transmission before attempting to remove it from the car. If the wrong transmission lubricant is used, the T5 will have problems. Gear oil commonly used in other manual transmissions is too thick to properly lubricate the needle roller bearings between the shafts and the gears. This is especially true of the input shaft. The recommended lubricant is Dextron III automatic transmission lubricant.
I had someone do it. He did use the Dextron III. I don't know how I feel about changing the fluid. It's got over 100,000 miles, and I know there are differing opinions about changing the fluid on a high mileage vehicle. Anyone care to weigh in on the subject? I'm going to bring it back to my mechanic tomorrow. He said he stands behind his work, so hopefully it's something fixable.