T/O Bearing Quality

Bits

Jun 4, 2020
House
Exedy kit shows up today; quality seems “Meh” but usable. The t/b is off center on the collar though. I searched rock and it seems they all are like that now. I did a little research online and someone said that they had recent problems with the Ford Racing bearings and they were made in China now too. My new bearing is tight and spins smooth, it’s just that it’s off center.

Who makes/has a quality bearing now?

(My family has been in the auto parts/repair industry for three generations. I retired early partly due to frustration over poor quality parts and comebacks due to them. Im back at it as a hobby but I’m really starting to wonder if I should just give it up. Seems all that you can find now is crap. I really don’t want to spend the next year of my life fighting junk parts trying to put this thing together.)

Edit: after an inspection it seems this may be part of the “self centering“ feature these supposedly have. Anyone know definitively? Seems a little loose on the retainer when I slide it on. Seems like it should be more snug that it is.

Attachments

• BC3A5CC5-CAEB-4A20-8BF5-17931CF53012.png
    BC3A5CC5-CAEB-4A20-8BF5-17931CF53012.png
    854.8 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Those have the same “issue”. Can anyone confirm that’s how they are supposed to be?

It's normal for it to be off center. The face of it is allowed to move to center itself. You can actually move it back and forth from one side to the other with your hand.

I've never had a quality release bearing come in a clutch kit. I never use the one that comes in the kit. National is good, BCA is good, and the Motorcraft one is probably good too, although I never use those as they are ripping expensive. Just make sure it is not made in China. The auto parts stores don't usually keep the good ones in stock, but they can get them in in a day.

Kurt

This one felt great.....till I beat it apart with a BFH.... :)

I tried to push it to center with my hand but that didn’t work. The hammer helped get it over but now....well.....the memorial service is scheduled for tomorrow....

:)

• Haha
  • Winner
Reactions: 1 users
The Timken bearing is a good one. The one in that clutch kit is garbage. I'm going to assume you have checked the retainer for any scarring or wear. I've had issues with worn bearing retainers causing all types of issues with throw out bearings. The last Ford Performance ones I installed have worked well. The one in my car was installed 4 or 5 years ago...I also installed one in a customers car about 3 years ago.

Reactions: 1 user
+1 one the Timken. Also a good bearing. Don't get wrapped around the wheel with the Motorcraft bearing. Ford doesn't make bearings. So a Motorcraft bearing will be awesome for 2 decades, and then they switch suppliers and it suddenly sucks. That's what happened with the clutch cables.

Kurt

The retainer is ok. It’s gonna get swapped with steel anyway but the bearing had play on it all the way down. Not much; just more than it should have.

Yeah, I know all about manufacturers not making bearings and such.

One thing I found out while doing hubs on the Epedition is; it appears SKF no longer makes bearings (Or at least Expedition hubs)

“SKF” is Timken US

“TImken” branded is Timken Mexico

All other no brand “Timken supplied” is offshore from no telling; it’s a crap shoot from Turkey to China.

Last edited:
SKF makes bearings all over the world. I only trust SKF Swedish bearings. Timken Mexico is reliable. The Country of origin is far more important than the brand itself.

Kurt

SKF makes bearings all over the world. I only trust SKF Swedish bearings. Timken Mexico is reliable. The Country of origin is far more important than the brand itself.

Kurt

I haven’t seen a SKF boxed bearing marked SKF for quite some time now. From what it appears (or what I’ve found so far) is that they no longer make bearings but repack from other suppliers.

My “SKF” boxed hubs were Timken US marked, so were a few other “SKF” bearings I’ve gotten over the past few years. I’ve been out of the industry for a while now so I can’t say with 100% certainty that they don’t make anything themselves anymore but that appears to be the case from what I’ve seen (more than “average” but way less than when I did it for a living).

What really sucks is the bearing I killed felt really good. I knew better to wait for a reply but I was pissed and the hammer called out to me to avenge my anger....

;)

The PP is “ok” but a few bolt hole flanges don’t seem to be quite centered. That may be the way it’s designed but it still looks like crap and I wasn’t happy about it so the hammer was a good solution. (For the bearing, not the PP)

It’s been a little while since I’ve done this. I may have had a small stroke and a little TBI in a car accident so my biggest hammer has been my go-to tool lately.

:)

I recently had my clutch out along with the 20 year old ford racing TOB bearing. It does move slightly off center, it has to do to the way it slides down the input shaft. If you hold the bearing in your hand, you’ll find you can easily self cebter it. Might be harder on a new bearing vs one with some miles

I haven’t seen a SKF boxed bearing marked SKF for quite some time now. From what it appears (or what I’ve found so far) is that they no longer make bearings but repack from other suppliers.

My “SKF” boxed hubs were Timken US marked, so were a few other “SKF” bearings I’ve gotten over the past few years. I’ve been out of the industry for a while now so I can’t say with 100% certainty that they don’t make anything themselves anymore but that appears to be the case from what I’ve seen (more than “average” but way less than when I did it for a living).

Reboxing is a normal business practice. Make sure you look at the stampings on the bearings itself, and not the box it is in. "Why buy the part when all I want is the box?" or however the quote goes from Tommy Boy. There was a time when I could get whatever I wanted in SKF Sweden, because my father worked in shipping, and his company bought bearings the size of your living room. Unfortunately I have to swim through whatever is available at the parts store now.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user