T-tops and Sunroof on the '05 Stang

• Sponsors (?)

Actually, burningman already did this one...

post-7-1071883451.jpg

I don't understand why some of you are so against t-tops. I think it would be a great option, and if you don't want it then don't get it. They add a much needed openness element to a car that Ford tries to market as fun.

z28x, t-tops DO add body flex to a coupe. The hardtops were always more rigid. Why do you think that if you ordered the 1LE autox package, it forced a hardtop on you? T-tops are more rigid, than say, a convertible, but they are not as rigid as a solid roof structure. One friend of mine has a 90 formula with t-tops, and another has a 89 formula with a solid roof, and the 89 is definetly more rigid.

If you look hard enough, you can find a base c5 coupe without a targa top. I have seen them in person.

Here are the option codes for a 99 c5.

http://chevroletcorvette.free.fr/1999.htm

Hardtop was an option on the vette.

I would definitely get a targa top or T-top even if it were an extra couple thou. Screw body rigidity. I don't plan on racing on the Nacar circuit. Besides, the new chassis has a bazillion-load more rigidity than the old one, and I never had a problem with the old one. I'd be willing to be 99% of people wouldn't know the difference anyway.

That's one of the reason I don't own a Mustang any more. Cheap interior and no available moon roof. I see they fixed the interior problem, but what of the roof? A Targo or T-top would be sweet. Got a 2003 Tiburon GT now and can't wait to get back into a Mustang. Nice car, but driving wasn't the same anymore.

I don't think this would look good on the new Stang given it's roofline and window layout... but I think hands down one of the coolest-looking setups is a C5 Corvette coupe with the removable roof taken out... from the side it looks awesome... and driving it like that is a blast. IMO t-tops worked well for the F-bodies and other sports cars. My buddy, for instance, has a 300ZX and it's one of the best features about the car. I don't think a Mustang is condusive to such a feature anymore. (if it ever was) I must say I'll be pretty dissapointed if they can't engineer a sunroof for this new stang... I would never buy a car without one if it was an option. But.... if that Shelby comes around in the next few years I dunno if I'll be willing to interupt those racing stripes with it... haha.

-Chris