t45 needs rebuild, or swap out

Jun 20, 2005
The syncros in my 96 gt (vortech+aftercooler and 01 pi motor swapped) are all but gone for 3rd, and trash for the rest and im looking to either just have it rebuilt, or swapped out with a 3650. numbers wise the car isnt completely tuned yet, but i dont want to go much over 450whp. trackwise, she will see it maybe a handful of times once tuned but this will mostly be a dd. so in youre oppinion, would you A. rebuild the t45, or B swap it out with a rebuilt 3650. money is a concern, ive seen rebuilt t45s and 3650s for under a grand, but including labor probably 2 grand for a swap, vs under a grand for the t45 rebuild. i have checked out the tk0600s and the t56, but they are over kill for what i need. thanks for the input, and if anyone can point me to some info on the 3650 swap for a 96 gt (ive read its a direct swap but are any modifications required as far as the speedo?)

• Sponsors (?)

I'd probably try to find a rebuilt T45 or rebuild the transmission you already have. The T45 has basically the same load capacity as the 3650, both of which are higher than the ol' T5. The T45 just gets a bad reputation because the shift forks are weak. If you aren't going to be slamming gears and power shifting much, then there's no reason to spend the extra to switch to a 3650. The 3650 has it's own set of problems.