T5 rebuild - need help identifying parts

Wellzy55

Jun 5, 2020
Clermont, Fl
Hey guys. I need some help. We just pulled the transmission out today and opened it up. I found this broken part with the lottle flange broke off and down on the magnet along with this thin round bar. At first I thought it was a piece of bearing or a push pin but I cant figure out what it is. And the broken piece I cant figure out the name of it so I can order it. I dont see that piece in the rebuild kits.

The reason I pulled the transmission was because I got on it hard the other day and when I stopped at the next light I couldn't even move the shifter it was locked up. I was able to get it into fourth and managed to get it home. After it cooled down I was able to go through the gears at home and they felt good but first was shot. It didnt want to go in at all and when it did you had to pull hard to get it back out.

When pulling it I noticed the input shaft had a good amount of play. Could that have anything to do with my issue?

I'm going to buy the rebuild kit bit I just need to know the name of that broken piece.
20200725_184243.jpg

• Sponsors(?)

Mustang5L5

i'm familiar with penetration
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Push pin looks like the pin that fits under the NGS sensor in the top cover.

common for the input shaft to have play. Usually when I rebuild a T5 I try to shim it a bit tighter.

hard to get my bearings in the small tab. I’ll hVe to look through my T5 parts and refresh my memory

Wellzy55

Jun 5, 2020
Clermont, Fl
Push pin looks like the pin that fits under the NGS sensor in the top cover.

common for the input shaft to have play. Usually when I rebuild a T5 I try to shim it a bit tighter.

hard to get my bearings in the small tab. I’ll hVe to look through my T5 parts and refresh my memory
I will have to look at that sensor tomorrow and see if that's where it could have come from.

Also I figured out that the broken piece is the reverse brake synchro cone for 5th gear. I found on for like $25.

I'm just hoping that the rebuild will fox the major issue I had. I didnt really find much while looking around. All the gears and bearings look good. I'm just going to do new Synchros, washers, shims and the clips and see how it goes. I'm not a real tight budget.

Thank you for the reply

nickyb

WAIT,you now have a pair?
5 Year Member
Apr 3, 2009
nevada
I did a t-5 for my stang a couple a months ago,I got the parts from 5speeds .com,the owner did a video with Eric the car guy(youtube)very helpful.

Mustang5L5

Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
If it has a reverse brake synchro, it's a late 92 or 93 T-5.

Those parts tend to not be included in standard rebuild kits, so you will need to likely order them separately.

As you can see, it matches perfectly to what you have there broken. Also, pretty convinced the pin is from the NGS.

Wellzy55

Jun 5, 2020
Clermont, Fl

Those parts tend to not be included in standard rebuild kits, so you will need to likely order them separately.

As you can see, it matches perfectly to what you have there broken. Also, pretty convinced the pin is from the NGS.
Thank you for the information. I found that piece on the same website lol. I ordered it the other day. I still need to look at the NGS to see if the pin came out of it.

Thanks again!

Wellzy55

Jun 5, 2020
Clermont, Fl

[/QUOTE

Mustang can you help me out here? So I looked at the top of the case and I cant find a spot where this would go. There's a sensor on the outside of the case cover but it doesn't come through the cover. Its empty on the inside. Check it out. what do you think?

Attachments

nickyb

5 Year Member
Apr 3, 2009
nevada
Mustang can you help me out here? So I looked at the top of the case and I cant find a spot where this would go. There's a sensor on the outside of the case cover but it doesn't come through the cover. Its empty on the inside. Check it out. what do you think?
That pin should go in to top before sensor is screwed in.pull sensor and post pic.

Mustang5L5

Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Remove the sensor on the top cover. The pin contacts the shift rail and depresses the plunger. It sometimes falls in when the trans is rebuilt.

if the pin is present, pull it out and compare to the one you found. It’s tough to get a sense of how long the pin is in the pic so I’m assuming it is in fact the NGS pin.

Reactions: nickyb

nickyb

5 Year Member
Apr 3, 2009
nevada
Remove the sensor on the top cover. The pin contacts the shift rail and depresses the plunger. It sometimes falls in when the trans is rebuilt.

if the pin is present, pull it out and compare to the one you found. It’s tough to get a sense of how long the pin is in the pic so I’m assuming it is in fact the NGS pin.
Totally agree

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Progress Thread 2003 mustang gt Rebuild 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 10
Levi.Productions Help! Unsure of rebuild kit needed. SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 6
9 94 Stang Rebuild From Shell Help 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 22
A Need Help :( 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 3
66 steve Need Help On 66 289 Engine Rebuild 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 3
S Need Help Rebuilding Mustang 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 18
A Need Urgent Help After Rebuild! Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 29
J 2004 Lxs Rebuild Need Help Its Goin Crazy SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 0
W A4LD Rebuild not working - need help! 2.3L (N/A & Turbo) Tech 1
65poppy 1965 289 Engine rebuild. Need help IDing purpose of threaded holes in block! Classic Mustang Specific Tech 17
U Need Help in PHX area finishing a rebuild Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 0
Wicked65 Rebuilding a Caliper, NEED Help! Classic Mustang Specific Tech 2
53BigDog After 2 years, I'm Back in the Game! - Engine rebuild need help! SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 0
mrmustangman357 holley rebuild help needed. Classic Mustang Specific Tech 12
65fastbackresto Found a block to rebuild, need help Classic Mustang Specific Tech 6
KCoppola Engine rebuild help needed 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 6
pistonhead351 trac-lok rebuild kit. need HELP QUICK. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 9
P NEED HELP WITH A BOTTOM END REBUILD Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
P Rebuilding a SD 5.0 need help Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 6
F Lots of Pics. calling all 5.0 experts. Engine rebuild. Need HELP Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 11
S T LOK REBUILD NEED HELP Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
E Need Help With my 351C rebuild Classic Mustang Specific Tech 4
M Rebuilding that rear diff.. Need help SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 8
stonegod85 need some help on rebuild ideas SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 0
9 Want KB, need to rebuild... Cost estimate help? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
Q need help with rebuild on a T-5 Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 12
PeteyAce need help with putting in new gears and rebuilding traklock Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 10
J HELP.. Blown Engine... Need to rebuild. SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 4
BlownStangGT Need help ASAP! Just paid $1400 for t5 rebuild! Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 24
Bad Snake II Rebuilding heads need serious help Classic Mustang Specific Tech 6
Hunter_Zero Need help finding a rebuild kit 2.3L (N/A & Turbo) Tech 2
S Need Help with T5 rebuild, pics inside! Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 6
5 need help on ground up rebuild Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
Slow5.0 Next month I gonna rebuild my T-5 transmission , need help 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 3
E Rebuilding need advice as to what kit I should get and what bore 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 19
N Need 5.0 engine rebuild advice for CA 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 2
Killing Hours Engine 1989 GT Engine rebuild advice needed Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 21
R Advice Needed On 1969 F Code 302 2v Motor Stock Rebuild 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 2
GrandmasterK Full Rebuild Needed? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 0
J I Need Advice With My 1970 Mustang Rebuild 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 6
The_Dude Transmission shop says my T5 needs a rebuild. Would I be better off buying new 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 19
trinity_gt My Kenne Bell needs a rebuild: Recommendations? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 21
dubbsix Noob: How do I tell if an engine needs a rebuild? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 14
garystocker Got my C4 AAMCO rebuild back today..Oh Man...I need some advise Classic Mustang Specific Tech 6
garystocker C4 rebuild needed...can I reuse torque converter? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 3
L Turbonetics T-76 .96 AR T-4 Flange Needs Rebuild Other Classifieds 0
R Need some opinions on my 95 track toy rebuild - mainly cam 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 5
87coupe50 need advice on what to do with old engine (rebuild?) Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 8
B Do I need a new engine/rebuild? 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 26
DNA DOA A/C compressor needs a rebuild, Who? 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 0