T5: Removing Stubborn Bearing Race? (Front Retainer)

Eulers

Oct 12, 2010
PARENT PART: T5 Front Bearing Retainer, Aluminum (Al)
COMPONENT PART: Bearing Race, Iron (Fe)
SITUATION: Am replacing the old Al Front Bearing Retainer with a new FRPP Fe unit. I do need to transfer the old bearing race from the old unit to the new unit.
PROBLEM: Bearing Race (and its end play shim) are stubbornly stuck in the body of the old Al unit.
SOLUTION?: Am appreciating suggestions...

I do like the idea of heating the original old (1987) Al retainer with MAP gas. The body of the old Al retainer should expand faster than the Fe race inside it. Maybe enough to fall out on its own?
I'm assuming that there will be no phase change in the Fe if I keep any direct flame off the race.
Correct?

I'd rather use heat than force b/c with my luck I'd end up scratching the bearing surface of the Bearing Race.
Anyone have experience using heat on these?

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Problem Solved: Stubborn Bearing Race Comes Out

Problem Solved: Stubborn Bearing Race Comes Out

Here is how I got it out:
(1). Note that it was 40 degrees the first day that I originally tried to get out bearing race from the old Front Bearing Retainer. It wouldn't come out. I tried various ways of forcing it out to no avail.
(2). I put penetrating oil on it and let it sit for two days.
(3). Today, being an 80 degree day, I put it out on a dark surface and let the sun heat up the unit. Then I did as I've read others simply do - I held the shaft of the Retainer bare-handed and struck it down onto two parallel wood blocks. Plunk! The race & shim fell below in between the blocks. Ahhh! Relief. It's out.

My perception is that either the oil-soak or the 40 degree difference was enough to cause the release. The aluminum body retainer and steel race expand thermally at different rates so that could have been the cause between stubborn-ess one day & easiness of release the next.
Thanks.

T5 SHIMS

Today the job is done (Front Bearing Retainer on T-5). I went to the Ford Dealer originally looking for shims. I ended up using Peel and Place shims, from the Gear Zone, as my end play shims. J.C. at the 5speeds.com Gear Zone will tell you which ones to order. I used the upper set. For me, They peeled off in 0.005 inch increments. I ended up with the perfect end play shim, +/- 0.001". I was tickled pink. A great customer experience. (Tip: Use their T5 Tag Identifier).