T5 shot too now, what tranny is cheap and strong?

jetuomi

Founding Member
Jan 30, 2002
Toronto, ON
Its like everything is going wrong this fall.. Alternator is really making a lot of noise, and I gotta afford my intake mani, etc.. Now its the tranny.. whines in each gear, and 4 and 5th gears are a write-off above 3000 rpm's (can't hit it !!)

So, I'm looking at getting a tranny over the winter, what choices do I have that retain stock setup (bellhousing, driveshaft, fork, etc)

T56 looks too expensive, what else is out there? Is the T5-Z the best bet (an upgraded T5??)

I'd also like a really short 5th gear, like .62 or something...

tx

• Sponsors (?)

The t5-Z just has a lower first gear ratio. It is a world class just like the one you got. If you can get the money a Tremec 3550 is a good choice. But you are looking at about 1600.00 for the whole set up.

You can probably get a new T5 for like 900.00. You can get them rebuild for about 500.00-800.00

Good luck!

jwalker said:
The t5-Z just has a lower first gear ratio. It is a world class just like the one you got. If you can get the money a Tremec 3550 is a good choice. But you are looking at about 1600.00 for the whole set up.

You can probably get a new T5 for like 900.00. You can get them rebuild for about 500.00-800.00

Good luck!

Hmmm.. I've heard mixed results on this.. I heard it was smaller first gear, and "moly" synchro's, and stronger input shaft as well??

Let me reprhase the cheap part, I don't want to spend T56 $$ (and the related $$ to buy all the custom parts) I'd prefer one that drops into stock locations??
is there such a thing?

That sucks man. I'm sorry to hear that. Mine needs IMMEDIATE rebuilt also. Clutch + 2nd-3rd gear synchro is pretty messed up.
I'm debating also. I have a very good C4 here with a Transgo stage 2 shift kit in it with a 3000stall, and I dont know if I should swap.
With my new combo, I'll have around 300rwhp NA and with the nitrous about 400-425rwhp and there's no way my T5 is gonna hold that even if it's rebuilt.

If only I knew how much HP I would be losing with the swap ..:shrug:
Good luck.

Can you turn your own wrenches? Got a place to work on the car? If so, I'd get the rebuild kit from Hanlon along with their video, and rebuild it yourself. You need regular hand tools, and a hydraulic press. You can get the press for about $100 from Harbor Freight. The kit from Hanlon runs about $150 if I remember correctly. It's really not as hard as you'd think, it's a very straightforward process.
Dave

Either 5.0 or MMFF ran a story on this couple months back...i remember something like 900.00 for them to rebuild your tranny...
Seen some Renegade and others run only G Force T5s..

the g-force is the way i would go becuase it's the same weight no extra noise, no notchy shifting, and it won't steal as much power as the TKO....i like the idea of keeping a stock style tranny....the other option if you don't want to spend alot get a D&D rebuild kit they cost 150 and allow alittle more strengh

hmmm TKO !? do they have a .63 overdrive option like the G-force does, that's T56 6th gear isn't it?

this sounds good.. I'd like to see more results on it, and at the same time I'm gonna go read up on the TKO...

Cheap and transmission....dont mix well
I've broken those stupid t5's sp many times I cant remember. But....if you have a budget and you dont want to change anything else you'll have to stick with the t5 considering other trannys will require much different parts. I've seen people build their t5's pretty well..I'd contact a respectable tranny shop from a mag or something and talk to them about what types of enternal parts are available for t5 so that it will take some ****.......but isnt it true that the t5 with all the best parts still doesnt like to deal with anything above 330 pounds?....least not for long anyone know that figure???

qwikpony91 said:
Cheap and transmission....dont mix well
I've broken those stupid t5's sp many times I cant remember. But....if you have a budget and you dont want to change anything else you'll have to stick with the t5 considering other trannys will require much different parts. I've seen people build their t5's pretty well..I'd contact a respectable tranny shop from a mag or something and talk to them about what types of enternal parts are available for t5 so that it will take some ****.......but isnt it true that the t5 with all the best parts still doesnt like to deal with anything above 330 pounds?....least not for long anyone know that figure???

reading the MM&FF article on the g-force shows it can handle 500+ hp !!??
I think I found my tranny, lightweight, smooth shifting and beefed up !!
but $$ haha

qwikpony91 said:
t56s dont have the same imput shafts do they, that would scratch your stock disc
Pretty much every upgrade we're talking about here would require a new clutch disc, whether it's T56, TKO, or G-Force T-5. The regular 3550 doesn't require a new disc, but that means you're stuck with the weaker input shaft.

Dave