Fox T5 Speed Sending Gear

ThinBlue502

Mustang Master
May 7, 2019
Ohio
Hey all,

I need to replace the speed sending gear on the tail shaft inside my T5Z transmission.

I've watched some videos on it, it seems pretty straight forward, just a serious pain in the @$$. Is this a job worth paying for just for the convenience factor? I normally do just about everything on all my cars, minus a big job here and there, but this job has me leaning towards the “pay someone else for the headache-type“ job.

Any input appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

If you’re just changing the gear and the speed sensor that holds it . It’s about 40-60 minutes max to do . It’s easy .

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, it will be nearly impossible to do it with the trans in the car. One member here (can't recall who off the top of my head) did it in the car not too long ago and his methodology was interesting as you need to coordinate pushing the extension housing in, while manipulating the shifter block and rail.

Once on a bench, it's actually a very easy job to do. You just need to get the extension housing off and then it's right there. No need to adjust any shims or touch any of the gears. I also recommend a brand new speedo clip. The old clips sometimes break after they have been uninstalled and reinstalled.

Here's a couple good videos. Keep in mind you only need to view the removal and install of the extension housing.

View: https://youtu.be/XREsRG9Y1mU

View: https://youtu.be/mR8LetFQSoc

View: https://youtu.be/E9csOWX_olE

Yeah, it will be nearly impossible to do it with the trans in the car. One member here (can't recall who off the top of my head) did it in the car not too long ago and his methodology was interesting as you need to coordinate pushing the extension housing in, while manipulating the shifter block and rail.

Once on a bench, it's actually a very easy job to do. You just need to get the extension housing off and then it's right there. No need to adjust any shims or touch any of the gears. I also recommend a brand new speedo clip. The old clips sometimes break after they have been uninstalled and reinstalled.

Here's a couple good videos. Keep in mind you only need to view the removal and install of the extension

OK that’s a “not just no, but Hell no” for doing it in the car, for sure. I wasn’t even sure if it was possible, but that seals the deal with a no.

I watched one of the videos you posted already. I’ll take a look at the other 2, but I think I’ve been pushed far enough over the brink to just do it. Thank you for your input!

I’m thinking new clip, new speed sending gear, new speedometer gear, new ATF fluid for a T5Z, correct? My cable, and speed sending unit are still good, I believe, as cruise control is working.

Speed sending gear? What are we talking about here. I haven't watched the videos you posted. I changed the the speedo gear no problem. It just pops out and in no problem. The magic trick I did was installing the the shifter shuttle on the shifter rod in the tail housing solo with the transmission on the car.

Maybe I did something else epic and didn't realize it? :shrug:

Speed sending gear? What are we talking about here. I haven't watched the videos you posted. I changed the the speedo gear no problem. It just pops out and in no problem. The magic trick I did was installing the the shifter shuttle on the shifter rod in the tail housing solo with the transmission on the car.

Maybe I did something else epic and didn't realize it? :shrug:
I knew you did something with the trans in the car that we were all proud of! :cheers:

Reactions: 1 users
If you are replacing the speedo drive gear then you have to pull the housing obviously. This is what I did to reinstall the shuttle.

1582645650910.png

I've still got this one, but it's cut. I could make you one if you need it.

1582645718635.png

I mis read . I thought we were changing the speed sensor portion not the tail shaft gear inside.

Yeah it will take some time then . Not overly complicated but if you haven’t ever pulled the trans it may take a bit longer then usual

• PlusOne
If you are replacing the speedo drive gear then you have to pull the housing obviously. This is what I did to reinstall the shuttle.

1582645650910.png

I've still got this one, but it's cut. I could make you one if you need it.

1582645718635.png

so that’s actually the part that concerns me the most! Without your specialty tool, how does one go about reinstalling the shuttle?

also, if you’re willing to make me one, I’m more than willing to buy one. Especially if you’re just throwing it out there. That kind of kindness should be acknowledged.

I don't mind making you one. I'll probably make at least 2 or 3 as my shuttle is installed in the car and the band needs to be tight to hold the detent in place.

To do this job otherwise you need someone in the car to hold the shuttle in place as you slide the tail housing onto the output shaft and shift rod. If you pull the transmission you can do all of this by yourself on the bench. The strap allows you to place the shuttle in place then slide the tail housing on. You will still have to reach up and help guide the shuttle onto the shiftier rod. With the car on the lift this job didn't take but a few minutes to do. This is the first time I ever messed with a manual transmission, so I'm sure you can figure it out too.

1582668688352.png

BE CAREFUL compressing the detent and putting the strap in place. If you let it slip the spring pushing on the detent will shot the ball bearing across the room and you'll never find it again. At least that is what would happen to me.

Just PM me your address so I can mail the thing to you.

• Useful