T5 Swap Complete-No Reverse Lights, Which wires do I splice???

mull9433

Feb 13, 2002
I just completed an AOD to T5 swap in my 1992 mustang. Everything works great, except I have no reverse lights. The transmission has two wiring harnesses on the drivers side and there are two wiring harnesses connected to the body of the car on the driver's side. One of the tranny harness's plugs in perfectly with one of the harness's on the body. However, the other tranny and body harness do not plug into each other. I also noticed that the tranny connector that I plugged into the body connector is a four wire connector that has two of the wires jumpered together. I know there's a way to splice the wires that the reverse lights work but I don't know how to do it. Can someone who has done this please explain it to me in simple english. Thanks a bunch.

• Sponsors (?)

You need to get a T5 connector for the reverse light switch - located on the passenger side of the trans - has two threaded connectors that the T5 connector attaches to. Don't rig it, get the connector and do it right.........

I've heard from some people you can't get the connectors anymore, also the connectors reverse it so you have to rig it anyways. I would just use a test light and press the clutch and see which one turns on for the neutral safety switch and then put it in reverse and see which one turns on for the reverse lights and connect them to the appropriate wires. Most people don't do the NSS but I connected mine it took no extra work, is required for the track, and is also there for a reason.

89Notch said:
I've heard from some people you can't get the connectors anymore, also the connectors reverse it so you have to rig it anyways. I would just use a test light and press the clutch and see which one turns on for the neutral safety switch and then put it in reverse and see which one turns on for the reverse lights and connect them to the appropriate wires. Most people don't do the NSS but I connected mine it took no extra work, is required for the track, and is also there for a reason.

When I bought my stang, it was converted to a 99 T5 from a V6. Anyways, reverse lights and all that didn't work. He had some harness in the car already (not sure what it was from), but it plugged right in. 0 rigging involved.

You need the factory harness that goes from the left kick panel to the transmission. The auto harness has a 2 plugs, and the stick has 3 plugs. I just did a 4cyl auto to 5.0L stick swap. the harness is seperate, from the floor and dash harness. Try to find a salvage yard with a 87-93 5 speed car.