T5 Tail Shaft Housing Questoin, after speedo drive gear install.

WhiteCobra95

Mod Dude
May 2, 2006
I just did the 7-tooth speedo drive gear on my T5. It wasn’t hard, but wow – what a PITA doing that with jack stands.

I have one quick question regarding the tail shaft reassembly; There is a ring on what I believe is the 5th gear synchro, which has a single tooth or tab sticking out perpendicular to the ring. I noticed during a test fit of the tail shaft housing that this ring has to be set with the tooth/tab at a 12 o’clock position, otherwise it interferes with that oil drain funnel in the tail shaft housing itself. Is this position correct? I couldn’t find anything in the Ford shop manual about it. I know that I bumped it during the speedo gear install, so I’m not positive about it’s clock position when I pulled off the housing. My trans is the Z-spec T5.

Thanks in advance =)

• Sponsors (?)

yes you are correct, set that tab somewhere between 12 and 1 oclock. i literally just got done replacing my speedo gears, tailshaft bushing, bearing retainer, AND that ring with the tab on mine. my previous owner decided not to line that tab up for reassembly and broke off the original tab.

Thanks a million for the reply! That’s a bummer that it got messed up by someone else. I can see how it could happen if they didn’t pay attention to the warning signs.

A colleague here at work also confirmed the tab issue. He’s done a number of T5’s and told me that sometimes you need to use some grease to hold it in place since it wants to swing down. Once I had it in place the housing slid right on, but getting the sifter block lined up without loosing the detect spring/ball was a huge pain. If I could do this over again I would definitely pull the trans and do it on a bench.

Thanks for the link!

Whast type of sealer did you use on yours? I was told by several friends to use the Ultra Black Permatex RTV, but a technician at work just told me that trans fluid can disolve RTV and he always uses the anaerobic sealer from the Ford dealer. I havent' had any time to get the car back togther, and had to stop after I got the crossmember back in. If I do have to go back and redo the housing install with the anaerobic stuff, now would be the time. Thanks.

ultra black is fine.
my rebuilder uses it all the time.
i plan on swapping the speedcal out for a speedo gear set,and bushing/seal soon.
pictoral "How To",to follow.