T5 To Aod Setup. What Do You Aod Guys Think?

deathb4dismount

Crap, didn’t realize my crotch was in that picture
15 Year Member
Oct 6, 2011
THE BUCKET
I've been wanting to swap to an auto for awhile and I think I found the right one. I can get the whole setup all the way down to the stock shifter for a good price and from someone I trust. Only thing it needs is a cooler as the converter is non lock up. It's a built and with hardened 2 piece shaft and a precision converter. He said stall was 4500 on his car which was putting down 450ish to the tire. He ripped a 1.39 60ft off foot braking with 355s and 26 inch slick. Do you think this is too much converter for me? I'm putting down 281 through a worn out T5 with 373s

• Sponsors (?)

I do not know a lot about race applications-but I would think that a 4500 stall would be a bit much for a stockish setup. I think the stock stall speed is 2200(?) others will correct me soon lol.
Selling off the stall converter would definitely cover the cost of a new stocker and a few other things though lol

I do not know a lot about race applications-but I would think that a 4500 stall would be a bit much for a stockish setup. I think the stock stall speed is 2200(?) others will correct me soon lol.
Selling off the stall converter would definitely cover the cost of a new stocker and a few other things though lol
I know the stock converter sucks and would definitely not make the most use of my setup. Not sure if I understand it correctly, but wouldn't I see it stall at lower rpm with less power? @mikestang63 I know you have the answer a for me

couple of things

You didnt mention the price you are getting this for, the brand of the AOD, how many miles on it. model of the converter, etc..so it is hard to give specifics here.

stock converter is 1600 rpm stall, is a locking converter, and is meant for a two piece input shaft
buying a used AOD is rolling the dice, unless you can have it tested and inspected you are asking for trouble/ Even if you do. is it setup to run properly in you car? ?reverse/manual valve body? It may be fine or it may have completely wrong shift points and shift super hard.
whoevever told you it doesnt have a cooler because it is non lockup is full of crap. NON LOCK up adds MORE heat than a stock lockup converter. EVERY AOD should have a trans cooler as heat is the #1 killer. especially in performance AOD. GET a plate style cooler- period
4500 stall is WAY too much for your car. You should call the converter company, tell them your engine specs, rear end gears, tire size, and ask them what stall they recommend and how much to reflash the converter or if you need to get a different one for your application. Up to you if you want to keep it non lock up

couple of things

You didnt mention the price you are getting this for, the brand of the AOD, how many miles on it. model of the converter, etc..so it is hard to give specifics here.

stock converter is 1600 rpm stall, is a locking converter, and is meant for a two piece input shaft
buying a used AOD is rolling the dice, unless you can have it tested and inspected you are asking for trouble/ Even if you do. is it setup to run properly in you car? ?reverse/manual valve body? It may be fine or it may have completely wrong shift points and shift super hard.
whoevever told you it doesnt have a cooler because it is non lockup is full of crap. NON LOCK up adds MORE heat than a stock lockup converter. EVERY AOD should have a trans cooler as heat is the #1 killer. especially in performance AOD. GET a plate style cooler- period
4500 stall is WAY too much for your car. You should call the converter company, tell them your engine specs, rear end gears, tire size, and ask them what stall they recommend and how much to reflash the converter or if you need to get a different one for your application. Up to you if you want to keep it non lock up

The trans had a cooler but it is staying in the previous owners car, he went to a c4. I'm getting this for 1200. It was built by dynamic transmission which is local to the area and has a good reputation. The trans was in a magazine car, then made 3 dyno pulls a 3 passes at the track.

@mikestang63 I contacted the maker of the trans today. They recommended a 12 inch lock up converter with a mid 2000 stall speed, can send me one for $350. glad I contacted them, very helpful. The trans retains the stock shift pattern. Which VB to eliminate the 1d1 shuffle? LMR has the PA hold VB and theirs seems to be the least expensive but I have seen some negative feedback about them.

Why switch? Other than high powered or bracket racing, a manual will be quicker,funner,and the better option(my .02-I dislike autos). Why the manual hate? :)

Also only a 2k stall converter recommendation? Sounds even more boring lol. You mention 281rwhp. What mods do you have?

Reactions: 1 user
you want at least a 2400 stall IMO. is it brazed, anti balooning... what make is it... Don't get an el cheapo converter.
For the Valve body I would contact Dan at Silverfox racing. I have one of his valve bodies in my car and couldnt be happier

Why switch? Other than high powered or bracket racing, a manual will be quicker,funner,and the better option(my .02-I dislike autos). Why the manual hate? :)

Also only a 2k stall converter recommendation? Sounds even more boring lol. You mention 281rwhp. What mods do you have?
Setup is tfs 170s stage 1 cam and systemax. Honestly Im just sick of rowing gears. The traffic and average speeds around here make it not fun to drive. On nice days I like to take it to work. It's only 3.2 miles from my house and there are 10 f**** traffic lights and the highest speed limit is 35. It's a chore to drive around with a manual around where I live. Also I've gotten used to driving my LS powered sedan for work. It's an auto and it can be fun still.

Reactions: 1 user