T5 Whine

My T5 in my foxbody whines 1st - 3rd and is totally quiet in 4th and 5th gear. It doesn’t grind gears and pulls strong without slipping in every gear also. It’s full of fluid so I know it’s not low. Any ideas why it would whine like a supercharger in only 1st - 3rd? I’m sure it needs a rebuild but i’m curious if it could be the input bearing.

• Sponsors (?)

Hard to point to an accurate reason for the noise without inspecting the trans, but typically when this occurs its due to galling in on the mainshaft tip where the input shaft roller bearings ride on it. This occurred when the wrong fluid it used or the fluid level drops.

it will be loudest in 1st and quieter in 2nd and more so in 3rd. Reasons it’s silent in 4th is because the input and mainshaft are 1:1.

fix is a new mainshaft, or machining and sleeving the old shaft

D6E18CD7-6B1F-4E09-BCE0-0B40953E63F2.jpeg

Hard to point to an accurate reason for the noise without inspecting the trans, but typically when this occurs its due to galling in on the mainshaft tip where the input shaft roller bearings ride on it. This occurred when the wrong fluid it used or the fluid level drops.

it will be loudest in 1st and quieter in 2nd and more so in 3rd. Reasons it’s silent in 4th is because the input and mainshaft are 1:1.

fix is a new mainshaft, or machining and sleeving the old shaft

D6E18CD7-6B1F-4E09-BCE0-0B40953E63F2.jpeg
Awesome thank you! I used Royal Purple manual trans fluid off LMR would that cause it to make the whine? I know these call for ATF but I’ve read some forums where people have used the fluid I used and they are fine.