T5-Z trans question.

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure.

I know 1992-later T-5's do have a Reverse synchro, but it may be Cobra only.

Is the tailhousing part number 1352-066-919??

If it is, then that is the part number for the non-synchronized tailhousing. It's not compatible so if it has the reverse synchro it will have a new part number

i bougth T5Z brand new ,when i drive it i notic the reverse grinding,i was afriad that my T5Z is was damge from factory,i asked a profesinal technical on mustang and he said that is normal for mustang so you must select fwd gear first then reverse ,so dont worry

i had a brand new 1990 gt back in 92 that only had 3k miles on it and it always grind in reverse. my 65k original mile lx in my sig ground in reverse all the time when i got it. My brand spankin new tko 600 grinds in reverse every time just like the others. I didnt surprise me and doesnt bother me at all. I know your concern though and dont worry about it. ithink that any tranmission that goes in a stang grinds lol. its a mustang trade mark

I just push it into 5th and then into reverse. No problem if you do it that way.

thats what i always did, up until this happened.

100_0199.jpg

yes it was a Z

100_0194.jpg

Where does your clutch grab at? Close the floor? Sounds to me like it might need some more slack taken out of it. The T5Z does have the synchro unlike early production T5's. I run a T5z and it used to grind unless I shifted to 5th first then reverse, everyone said it is normal - but guess what, it wasn't. I adjusted my clutch using the Ford method I found posted on this site and now my clutch grabs at the correct height and I can shift into reverse with no issuses at all, it really is nice not to have to fool with now

:nonono: Maybe I should slap on some Kumhos on my car and I'll be safe. That must of been one horrible sound.

its a tough trans and good for daily driving with a built motor. but i wouldnt expect to put any air under the tires with it.

ya it was. i was racing a new 6.0 GTO. when i shifted to 3rd all i heard was this loud ass grind and my motor went to 8000 rpm. i figured i just missed a gear. but i slammed it into 4th (already doin about 60mph) and still tore him up.

after that tho it didnt make too much noise until came to a stop and put it in 3rd, lol.

...all i heard was this loud ass grind and my motor went to 8000 rpm...
:puke:

Where does your clutch grab at? Close the floor? Sounds to me like it might need some more slack taken out of it. The T5Z does have the synchro unlike early production T5's. I run a T5z and it used to grind unless I shifted to 5th first then reverse, everyone said it is normal - but guess what, it wasn't. I adjusted my clutch using the Ford method I found posted on this site and now my clutch grabs at the correct height and I can shift into reverse with no issuses at all, it really is nice not to have to fool with now
It grabs just at the right height. I hate conflicting answers. :scratch:

Something is off then. What clutch & pressure plate are you using? How much travel do you have at the clutch fork? If you have changed a few things you might need to make a couple adjustments to get it right...

Something is off then. What clutch & pressure plate are you using? How much travel do you have at the clutch fork? If you have changed a few things you might need to make a couple adjustments to get it right...

Could this be why I'm having trouble shifting into fifth? Sometimes it will go in smoothly, but other times I have to double clutch it. The previous owner said it's been like this since the rebuild. Adjustment needed or bad rebuild job?