T56

• Sponsors (?)

Will a t56 out of a z06 work with a 5.0 if you change the bell housing?

I think the input shafts are different length on the chevy transmissions. I looked into using one out of a camaro and had two different venders tell me it wouldn't work when inquiring about a bellhousing. According to them if you want a t56 you are better off finding one out of a Ford, for some reason they are bastardized. This is not to mention the dilemma of speedo adaptation...

Not to mention that Corvettes have the transmission in the rear.
I am pretty sure that kills any chance of a swap...

Well no, C5 and up have the trans in the rear. For some reason I was thinking about the T56 in the C4 which was in front. However, the Z06 came along in the C5 and IT was, as stated in the rear.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay...
Here is the way I see it:
The LSx T56 is not even interchangeable with other GM engines, even the basic SBC, which is as generic as it gets.
You would have to look at the LTx T56, which was a more traditional GM engine, very closely related to the SBC.
Therefore, if the tranny is interchangeable with the basic SBC, then all you would need to do is whatever traditional method is available for swapping an SBC tranny to a SBF. There are ways, though I have never personally studied them.

SSeater:
I forgot about the LTx cars!
In my world, Chevy didn't exist before the LSx engine! :D

Edit:
FWIW, I know they make crank bushings with the Chevy ID and Ford OD measurements.
You would have to use a Ford flywheel and pressure plate.
The clutch disc would have to be the correct diameter to match the Ford flywheel/plate, but would have to have Chevy spline count, to match the tranny.

http://www.promotionpowertrain.com/

Or, use the google machine. Tons of venders out there sell them. Promotion even sells reconditioned T56's for a little less than new. I like Walt at Promotion, He's very knowledgable and offers tech help any time you need it, Helped me get my TKO 600 set up...They do good work, so does Liberty. Pick one,there are plenty.