SN95 Tail Lamp Swap

udinkuknowme

Jun 24, 2014
I have a 1995 Mustang that I want to change out the tail lamps on. The car has ugly aftermarket lamps in it
right now, and I really like the 1996 style lamps. Does anyone know if there is a difference in the mounting or actual shape of the 1996 lamps from the 1995 style?

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 1995 Mustang that I want to change out the tail lamps on. The car has ugly aftermarket lamps in it
right now, and I really like the 1996 style lamps. Does anyone know if there is a difference in the mounting or actual shape of the 1996 lamps from the 1995 style?

From what I understand they interchange perfectly. . Although I've seen more than a few 94-95 owners catch crap from the purists for doing the swap as the 94-95 lights were specific to those cars, and pretty much what set them apart from the later models.. However it is your car and what makes you happy is what matters.

No difference in mounting or shape. There may be a difference in the harnesses for the bulbs. I can't say for sure. What I do know for sure is that the '96-'98 harness plugs into your '94-'95 body harness and works perfectly.

Read what he said again. He's talking about where the bulbs plug into the sockets...
Correct. That's what I meant. I ran a set of '96-'98 tails on my '95. They came with harnesses that pluged into my stock body harness. I just never looked to see if the bulb sockets were similar. To the original poster, try to get the harnesses as well if you can. I'm sure a junkyard would be a likely place to find one.

Correct. That's what I meant. I ran a set of '96-'98 tails on my '95. They came with harnesses that pluged into my stock body harness. I just never looked to see if the bulb sockets were similar. To the original poster, try to get the harnesses as well if you can. I'm sure a junkyard would be a likely place to find one.

I didn't think about the harness being different. Thanks for the heads up on that.

I said in my post, that I made the switch to 96 tai lights, and didn't have any problems , with the BULBS, LIGHTS, or HARNESS.

Read your own post again! The OP asked if there was a difference in the "mounting, or shape" of the light assemblies. Your answer was that they would fit perfectly. That answered the question of the actual mounting of the assembly, but nothing else. You made no mention of the bulbs, lights or harness. Ease up and be more articulate and you wont' have to worry about people misinterpreting you in the future!

Read your own post again! The OP asked if there was a difference in the "mounting, or shape" of the light assemblies. Your answer was that they would fit perfectly. That answered the question of the actual mounting of the assembly, but nothing else. You made no mention of the bulbs, lights or harness. Ease up and be more articulate and you wont' have to worry about people misinterpreting you in the future!
They will fit perfect...I had a 95 Gt which I done a Saleen clone. I switched for black 96 tail lights.
@Gearbanger 101 @coupestang2 said that he swapped '96 taillights in a '95 w no problems at all. By reading that statement one would assume that if you take a '96 tailight the wires would connect and the taillight would bolt in place. @coupestang2 is this correct? Did you get a set of taillights for a '96 and they bolted right in? No other parts necessary? If so, @Gearbanger 101 he answered the question perfectly. If not he has some 'splaning to do.

@Gearbanger 101 @coupestang2 said that he swapped '96 taillights in a '95 w no problems at all. By reading that statement one would assume that if you take a '96 tailight the wires would connect and the taillight would bolt in place. @coupestang2 is this correct? Did you get a set of taillights for a '96 and they bolted right in? No other parts necessary? If so, @Gearbanger 101 he answered the question perfectly. If not he has some 'splaning to do.

A 5.0L TiVCT will fit perfectly between the strut towers of a Fox body....but that doesn't mean it's a direct bolt in and go in place of the stocker.

While I have no doubt that in his mind, he answered the question completely, since he physically went through the process and can play out the steps in his mind.....he didn't elaborate on the specifics beyond the O/P asking if there was a difference in the physical mounting or the shape of the lights. This left details of the actual wiring open to interpretation.....which is why the point was addressed by 02 281 GT in the first place.

No harm done.....but it pays to provide detailed answers to these questions up front, to avoid explaining it a second time later on.

A 5.0L TiVCT will fit perfectly between the strut towers of a Fox body....but that doesn't mean it's a direct bolt in and go in place of the stocker.

While I have no doubt that in his mind, he answered the question completely, since he physically went through the process and can play out the steps in his mind.....he didn't elaborate on the specifics beyond the O/P asking if there was a difference in the physical mounting or the shape of the lights. This left details of the actual wiring open to interpretation.....which is why the point was addressed by 02 281 GT in the first place.

No harm done.....but it pays to provide detailed answers to these questions up front, to avoid explaining it a second time later on.
You got too technical for no reason. The OP didn't even take into the consideration the wiring harness. The guy was wanting to know if the 96 taillights would work on a 95 and ole boy replied "yes they will, I've done it." Question answered.
Ps: 96 tailights on a 95 are lame.

You got too technical for no reason. The OP didn't even take into the consideration the wiring harness. The guy was wanting to know if the 96 taillights would work on a 95 and ole boy replied "yes they will, I've done it." Question answered.
Ps: 96 tailights on a 95 are lame.
He didn't ask if they'd work, he asked if they'd bolt up. ;)

....and I think the '96+ lights are light years nicer than the '94-'95's. Screw the purists.

Well from one Canadian to another, Perfectly is not quite the correct work, tightly would be more accurate ;)