Take a look at this shortblovk for me (PICS) Rebuild? or use it? 56k No Go

Grits

SEE!! I do have a neck!
Founding Member
Aug 25, 2000
Colorado Springs, CO
Heres some pics of my 99 explorer engine... compression on a 6 cylinders was 150, with 2 at 145. There still cross hatching marks all over the cylinders with no real abraisions that i can find... the pistons look OK.. but got alot of crap on top...

im going to be running TFS stage 1 cam, 1.6 rockers and the GT-40P's with a mild "Smoothing" of the ports... wieand steath and holley 600 DP...

Honestly, Im kinda split whether i want to rebuild this engine... It had 84,000 on it when pulled... and honestly Financialy at this point id rather not, but i WILL if i think its going to save me a huge headache down the road. I do kinda want to tear it down for the "Experience" and know how.. this is my first 5.0 teardown.

heres some pics.. tell me what you reccommend i do with this thing... clean it up and bolt the reworked heads/intake back on? or tear it apart and rebuild...

the picutre of the cylinder head is the worst looking one.. just figured id throw it in there... gotta go get a spring compressor and take a look at the heads ;)

if anyones curious what happended to the explorer intake...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300009846228 Shameless plug. :D

BTW... this is going into a 91 RANGER with a 5 speed...:flag:

View attachment 453880

View attachment 453882

View attachment 453884

View attachment 453886

View attachment 453887

View attachment 453889

• Sponsors (?)

If it were me, i would tear it down and clean it up a little. Go with a cheap rebuild kit and clean the cyclinder walls up a little and throw it back together. Check the heads out for straightness and valve seat condition. If all is good, clean em up and bolt em back on. I think the time you spend now freshening it up, will be worth it down the road. good luck man