taking out the fake side scoops

BlackVert

15 Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Bethesda, MD
i want to paint the grilles in my side scoops like i did with the hood.

before i go out there and break something, i have a question ... are they just stuck in there with double sided tape?

fwiw, i'm going for this look in the side scoops ...

DSCF0503.JPG

6-closeup1-after.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF0503.JPG
    DSCF0503.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 6-closeup1-after.jpg
    6-closeup1-after.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 64
  • Sponsors (?)

post some pics (side shots) and i can photoshop em for ya, give you a better idea of what it'll look like.

BTW, i believe they are bolted in.. Check for fasteners behind the rear interior panels. Obviously, if they dont pull off with a simple tug, then they are bolted in, and more then likely from the inside of the car (meaning you'll have to pull some interior panels off to gain access)

OinkAodeOink said:
post some pics (side shots) and i can photoshop em for ya, give you a better idea of what it'll look like.

BTW, i believe they are bolted in.. Check for fasteners behind the rear interior panels. Obviously, if they dont pull off with a simple tug, then they are bolted in, and more then likely from the inside of the car (meaning you'll have to pull some interior panels off to gain access)
thanks! here are two ... fwiw, i'm going for the black with aluminum accents look.
DSCF0486.JPG

DSCF0505.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF0486.JPG
    DSCF0486.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCF0505.JPG
    DSCF0505.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 44
Yup the interior pcs have to come out...they have bolts holding them from the inside (2).
pull the bottom seat out..sill trim?? its been awhile since i pulled mine out..not sure if both top and bottom panels have to come out to access them...either way the lower panel is a mother... :D

Remove the bottom panel next to the passenger seat on each side, there will be some white plastic once you get the pannels off, behind the plastic is 3 nuts, 10mm I think. Take thoes 3 out and the whole side scoop assembly will come out, then the black plastic piece will be able to be seperated.

OinkAodeOink said:

oink, any luck on this? not rushing you at all, just curious ...

1105 said:
Remove the bottom panel next to the passenger seat on each side, there will be some white plastic once you get the pannels off, behind the plastic is 3 nuts, 10mm I think. Take thoes 3 out and the whole side scoop assembly will come out, then the black plastic piece will be able to be seperated.
if i remember correctly, i think i have to take the back seat out to get to some bolts that hold the panels in (the same panels that cover the speakers). or maybe i'm thinking of the wrong panels.

Nik_95Cobra said:
OMG that rocks...I HAVE to do that. Was looking for something to break up all the black and that'd be nice and somewhat subtle.
thanks! i'm really happy with the way the hood turned out, and i was really happy with the way the scoops came out on the blue car (a 2001 gt vert), but i was very unhappy when the blue car was totaled by a 16 year old girl ...