A mini roll cage so he can make a pass with you?:D
I think you are onto something Dave :rlaugh:

I found a few more necessity’s the little guy needs to ride-
8FE10181-62A6-4C99-B0E2-722761BB2862.jpeg
4A08C0D6-B849-4E42-B39A-E46FC45253DD.jpeg

:)

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Decided to drive the car 15 miles “into town”.
Drove great, etc etc.
D4EC9C5C-1429-45FC-A6AF-F23CA987B973.jpeg

Unfortunately car shut off when I got downtown. Thought the kill switch circuit opened but turns out the battery connection came loose. No big deal. Pulled over to reconnect. Wouldn’t start. Chased down all the connections, tried to jump start it, even swapped the battery. No start.
ECU had power, dash had power, sensors all read, fan ran, etc.
Stuck...
BD9638E6-9D2E-460C-BC93-567B8EFE221E.jpeg
1414651C-8102-48B1-B5B6-7D7CE0427DEC.jpeg

Had a buddy come pick me up with his trailer and took it home.
AA1789B2-D73A-48B6-846C-AE439A06EE90.jpeg

Pushed it out of the trailer and into the garage. I said “wouldn’t it suck if it fired right up after all that?”

It did...

Thinking starter failure

Work will be occupying all of my time for the rest of the month (I realize it’s the first so that’s the entire month...)
So today I cleaned out the shop, washed off the car and that’s about it. Took longer than I’ll admit to pick up my mess. Bad habit of leaving tools out until the job is done and mixing that with a short attention span and bouncing from task to task.

70B75B26-DB77-4393-81D6-B5183D35AF43.jpeg

0439BD95-742B-4275-9B69-4C4159E903D0.jpeg

Car seems to have settled in and is sitting just right. Still have a long list of things to work through but it’s nice to be able to drive it around. Still needs to make some actual power before fall ends for me to feel successful.

Car needs:
Aligned
Passenger seat remounted
Lights/windows wired and cleaned up
5v bus bar wired in to supply signal for boost controller and extra sensors
Line lock, bump button, couple other switches wired in
NHRA approved rear seat delete that will fit around the cage
Then glue the back glass back in

And it appears I’ll need to rewire the starter circuit. Seems like the 2ga wiring isn’t cutting it, car didn’t want to turn over hot. Going to work my way back through all of that again I guess.

Then I can scale it and worry about getting it to a track. If it doesn’t hit the race track until spring I’ll live but I’d like to be ready before then.

Co-pilot came to make sure things were up to snuff
8A2D362D-D3E9-4A4E-A313-5DFF4CD24D5E.jpeg

Reactions: 6 users
I am very sure you have this done already but my OCD wont let me drop it until i ask.....
E85?? if so have you:
altered the stoic value in the ECU from gasoline to E85?? GAS =14.7 E85= 9.85
are you using a flex fuel sensor in the fuel cell?? if not i highly suggest, use a GM sensor fewer issues and can be placed in the fuel line if needed. this will give direct feedback on the % of ethanol to the ECU you can then setup the automatic stoic correction.
of course you could just change the ECU properties to just use LAMBDA and be done with it... this is what i suggest and how i tune my own engine. no matter what the % of the fuel [in case you stop to get some the blend is rarely 85%] it will read the same lambda numbers based on fuel burn. even if you are forced to fill up with gasoline to get home it will not mess with the tune if done in lambda. It takes all the guesswork out of it.

I am very sure you have this done already but my OCD wont let me drop it until i ask.....
E85?? if so have you:
altered the stoic value in the ECU from gasoline to E85?? GAS =14.7 E85= 9.85
are you using a flex fuel sensor in the fuel cell?? if not i highly suggest, use a GM sensor fewer issues and can be placed in the fuel line if needed. this will give direct feedback on the % of ethanol to the ECU you can then setup the automatic stoic correction.
of course you could just change the ECU properties to just use LAMBDA and be done with it... this is what i suggest and how i tune my own engine. no matter what the % of the fuel [in case you stop to get some the blend is rarely 85%] it will read the same lambda numbers based on fuel burn. even if you are forced to fill up with gasoline to get home it will not mess with the tune if done in lambda. It takes all the guesswork out of it.
Unfortunately, no Lambda display tables with Holley yet. Thought we would get it with v5 but apparently not. I would switch immediately if so. Must simpler for my brain.

It’s tuned for e85 but uses the gas scale. Target AFRs are adjusted accordingly, which I believe was your concern. It definitely reads fat compared to gasoline. It’s still using lambda to do the work in the background but choosing gasoline or e85 in the configuration just changes the multiplier used, which i know you already knew. This tune file came from a dyno tune of the same engine/trans/turbo/fuel combination, i just changed the injector data and rescaled for my map sensor. Seems to be working great after some small changes and driving it around a good bit. Idles a hair too high but i think that’s the throttle stop adjustment from when I was having regulator issues.

Im confident i could fill it up with pump 93 and shift the AFR table up and drive it home if i has to. Didn’t feel the need to use a flex fuel sensor and have to set up an advanced table to adjust. It should be doing that work when working towards the target AFR anyways, no?
Side note, this is year old pump e85 from a drum. I’ve got about 20 gallons left plus the ~12 in the tank. Can’t imagine it would test at 85, but I never bought/built a tester.

I’ve done all of this based of the experiences of a few guys who have been helping me. I absolutely appreciate the questions and any feedback. This is the kind of stuff I intended this thread to be for.

Reactions: 1 user
Gotcha, just checking I was sure you had a handle on it. If you need/want any advice feel free to ask I will help where I can with my limited Holley experience. Not sure how Holley deals with the flex sensor but it should* adjust the stoic ratio based on e%... this would require a adjustment to you afr tables now.

I Understand the ego control very well, however I consider it a bandaid to a tune. (I mean No offense here) a well tuned car should never need more than 4% correction.

Gotcha, just checking I was sure you had a handle on it. If you need/want any advice feel free to ask I will help where I can with my limited Holley experience. Not sure how Holley deals with the flex sensor but it should* adjust the stoic ratio based on e%... this would require a adjustment to you afr tables now.

I Understand the ego control very well, however I consider it a bandaid to a tune. (I mean No offense here) a well tuned car should never need more than 4% correction.
No offense taken, I’m as new to this stuff as you’ll find. I believe my correction is locked in at +- 3% now. Only had it opened up when I was getting it lined out initially and would open it back up if that fuel change scenario occurred.

The flexfuel sensor would be setup using the advanced tables. Scale the sensor and direct it to adjust AFR according to that feedback. It would require stealing someone else’s data or a lot of testing to fine tune.

Believe it’s more of a drop in deal for the Megasquirt side of the world but never used it in that application.

Worked pretty much all of September. Car has sat since the last time I posted. I put some heat in it the other day and tonight I took it around the block and put it back in the garage. Fixed the loose steering wheel and that’s it.

Between not having the time and honestly not having the desire, it hasn’t gotten anywhere.

I sent ScottRod some measurements today for rear “interior”, otherwise I’m not sure what I’ll do.

Not much of an update

Got the boost controller wired up, tested and fully functional.
That sentence makes it seem a lot easier than it turned out to be. Pressure testing the compressor system and eventually finding a hole in one of the wastegate diaphragms ate a lot of time. But i was able to get it out on a straight section of road and make a little pull to test everything out.
Car is faster on 4lbs of boost than the corvette ever felt. Not sure that I’ll get it out again until spring, but I’m definitely looking forward to it.
Going to go ahead and start winterizing it today. Flush most of the water out, drain the e85,etc.

Reactions: 2 users