Progress Thread Tannerc91gt’s Build(s) Thread

You'll never settle on one car to the finish line.........

* For a definition of automotive ADHD,..see Tanners' thread:
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/tannerc91gts-gila-hoopty-t-top-monster.891881/
Guess that depends on what we’re defining the finish line as.
White car is still together, running and driving. Just drove it a little last weekend. No plans to take it apart yet.
The new car isn’t ready anyways.
Will it go to a race track? Possible but unlikely.

The automotive ADHD part you’ll never get an argument from me about.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

White car is still together, running and driving. Just drove it a little last weekend. No plans to take it apart yet.

If you're just looking for a project, don't buy any more cars. I'll send you my 86. We'll have to agree though that my $10,000 Windsor stays where it's at. The Kenne Bell is negotiable. :D

If you're just looking for a project, don't buy any more cars. I'll send you my 86. We'll have to agree though that my $10,000 Windsor stays where it's at. The Kenne Bell is negotiable. :D
Im out of garage space. Guess that’s how I tell I’m done.
I’ve got something to put this 4.8/80e in now though so maybe I’ll make some room that way. I think I’ve got most of a Tahoe under my work bench at this point.

I wouldn’t know what to do with a $10,000 engine anyways.

In love with the cobra . I hope you transfer it all over to that and make some killer passes in it .
Gonna be out in something in 2018 no matter what. If I can get the rear end done in by January and get the new turbo kit built it’ll be game on. Appreciate the encouragement!

Reactions: 1 user
Hopefully you won’t kill this thread off. The white car basically runs and drives right? Did you ever figure out the overheating/electrical issues?
Is the Cobra plan to use one of your other motors and build a completely new turbo setup? And a new trans etc? Or will the white car become Na very soon?

Hopefully you won’t kill this thread off. The white car basically runs and drives right? Did you ever figure out the overheating/electrical issues?
Is the Cobra plan to use one of your other motors and build a completely new turbo setup? And a new trans etc? Or will the white car become Na very soon?

White car runs and drives. Pretty decent now actually. Just need more cooperative weather and seat time. Electrical issue was fixed and the overheating was a result of air in the system and the fan configuration being wrong. Both fixed.

The “built” motor and trans will come out of the white car and go into the cobra along with the EFI system and turbos, though the turbo kit will have to be redone as I want to move the turbos and put an intercooler back on it.
Otherwise everything else is staying with the white car, besides the rear end which is getting upgraded as well.

Short term, the fox will probably get my 4.8 with a cam and the 80e I’ve been stashing away. I’ve got enough parts to put that together i think.
Really now that I think about it, I’ve got:
Complete motor and accessories
Transmission
Full exhaust
Wiring harness and ECU
Stock radiator and fans
Smaller fuel system
Another driveshaft
Wouldn’t really need much at all to make that happen.
Though I’d love to explore a coyote swap ultimately, might not be financially feasible for a while.

I like the white car a lot, don’t have any plans to let it go. Just trying to build a car for a particular purpose and this was the direction I thought would work out best for me. For the price of the cage I wanted, I got to have a second car.
I get why it irritates people, but I’m not doing it to please anyone else. I love building this stuff, so I never consider my labor a “waste”.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I'm not sure how many of your build threads I've followed, a few for sure lol.
Usually you have a rhyme or reason for the things you do.
Not that it matters-but I like this plan. Dedicated race car and a dedicated Street raced car :) lol

Not I. I'd rather see the white car completed. I prefer a Fox over an SN tho.
I like both chassis . Everywhere you look at the track is another fox . I still love them though but it's nice to see something different , with that said . I don't know tanner anymore then anyone else does here besides Facebook . But from a human stand point I'd rather see him in the safer of the two chassis wise trying to go fast with a new born .'I guess that's me slowly growing up .

I like both chassis . Everywhere you look at the track is another fox . I still love them though but it's nice to see something different , with that said . I don't know tanner anymore then anyone else does here besides Facebook . But from a human stand point I'd rather see him in the safer of the two chassis wise trying to go fast with a new born .'I guess that's me slowly growing up .
That’s what it’s all about for me right now.
Driving the foxbody around, I realized what it needed for me to feel safe in it at a race track. I think I went on about that a couple pages ago. Got quotes from 2-3 shops to have an 8.50 cage put in my fox. $5k~ for a reputable shop to do it. Plus months of waiting.

Wish I had the foresight to have bought a safer car a couple years ago and started with that, but it just wasn’t a necessity in my head. Figured a roll bar was good enough.
Can’t justify that anymore. It may be a 12 second car for all I know, but it’ll be a damn safe 12 second car.

Truth be told, I tried to buy my maroon 03 cobra back at the beginning of november. Agreed on a price (way too high) and the guy was supposed to have it ready for pickup that weekend. Cancelled on me the night before. I was super bummed. It’s the only car i ever regretted letting go.
Found this car for multiple thousand dollars cheaper and jumped on it.

I do hope to catch up with you and Nick at a race one of these days though Jeff! Surely I’ll make it to Lights out 15 or something lol.

Reactions: 2 users

Wait.......You took a nice car, that had a nicely done, smoothed engine bay. Cut that away in favor of a tubular front mount. ( which is purely race car stuff).
Gutted the interior, removed everything under the dash, replaced a pair of stock seats that could be tolerated in a street car, and put a pair of uncomfortable Kirkeys in their place, and stuck that big, "can't miss it from a a mile away" shifter, high and dry above the console, installed a minimalist wiring harness mounted on a piece of plexi, and then installed a race pack instrument panel in the dash.( which is purely race car stuff)
Installed a twin turbo'd LS, with its un muffled exhaust dumped in front of the tires, added individual coil packs, big assed injectors, and tipped a radiator over soo far in front that it can never fully be filled, and the air that blows through it will only see about half of the surface area that a vertical version would've, finishing that off by removing the power assisted everything else down to bare bones manual. ( which is purely race car stuff)
And now you say that you're worried that the car isn't safe enough? And.......that you doubt that it'll ever see a track?
Where was that thought process when you decided to install over 1000 hp in front, and back it with a race prepped T 400?

You don't need a chassis shop to install additional cage reinforcement to bring the car up to spec..You can do it. I Even if it means cutting out a mild steel cage in favor of a chrome moly version. I did it on the 86 I show off all the time . That car was a garage build mild steel cage that certified to 8.50.

I've seen what you can do..and you can certainly weld together a bunch of steel tubes.

I don't think you like this whole race car thing....I think you like to build them, but when it comes time to actually enjoy the thing for the purpose it was built,...you sell it and/or buy something else...you always have been building a car for the last 8 years I've been here...

Munchausens disease. You know what that is?

It's the mental condition where caretakers keep their patients sick to give the caretaker a sense of purpose.

You have car-build Munchausens......

Go get some help.....and........ welcome to the group.

Reactions: 4 users
That’s what it’s all about for me right now.
Driving the foxbody around, I realized what it needed for me to feel safe in it at a race track. I think I went on about that a couple pages ago. Got quotes from 2-3 shops to have an 8.50 cage put in my fox. $5k~ for a reputable shop to do it. Plus months of waiting.

Wish I had the foresight to have bought a safer car a couple years ago and started with that, but it just wasn’t a necessity in my head. Figured a roll bar was good enough.
Can’t justify that anymore. It may be a 12 second car for all I know, but it’ll be a damn safe 12 second car.

Truth be told, I tried to buy my maroon 03 cobra back at the beginning of november. Agreed on a price (way too high) and the guy was supposed to have it ready for pickup that weekend. Cancelled on me the night before. I was super bummed. It’s the only car i ever regretted letting go.
Found this car for multiple thousand dollars cheaper and jumped on it.

I do hope to catch up with you and Nick at a race one of these days though Jeff! Surely I’ll make it to Lights out 15 or something lol.
Absolutely dude !!

Wait.......You took a nice car, that had a nicely done, smoothed engine bay. Cut that away in favor of a tubular front mount. ( which is purely race car stuff).
Gutted the interior, removed everything under the dash, replaced a pair of stock seats that could be tolerated in a street car, and put a pair of uncomfortable Kirkeys in their place, and stuck that big, "can't miss it from a a mile away" shifter, high and dry above the console, installed a minimalist wiring harness mounted on a piece of plexi, and then installed a race pack instrument panel in the dash.( which is purely race car stuff)
Installed a twin turbo'd LS, with its un muffled exhaust dumped in front of the tires, added individual coil packs, big assed injectors, and tipped a radiator over soo far in front that it can never fully be filled, and the air that blows through it will only see about half of the surface area that a vertical version would've, finishing that off by removing the power assisted everything else down to bare bones manual. ( which is purely race car stuff)
And now you say that you're worried that the car isn't safe enough? And.......that you doubt that it'll ever see a track?
Where was that thought process when you decided to install over 1000 hp in front, and back it with a race prepped T 400?

All part of the insidious plan. :ninja:

Or wait...

All part of the new insidious plan. :ninja:

Wait.......
I started to address some of the inaccuracies here, but I think it’s a waste of time for us both. We don’t share the same views and as always, You’re welcome to your opinion.
People change, plans change. My life and priorities are in a much different place than they were 2 years ago when I bought this car fully intent on taking it out weekend racing.
Safety wasn’t the concern, having some resemblance of a cage so the local track wouldn’t kick me out was.
I enjoy the building process and haven’t gotten much time to enjoy the “finished” part because I also know when I’m not satisfied with something and up to now, I’ve not built anything I’m happy with. Part of the problem with learning as you go and not knowing what you’re doing I guess. Constant need for re-evaluation and redirection.
I will not cut corners with safety. There is no building onto the roll bar diameter mild steel “cage” in my foxbody.
I know where my welding ability is, and bottom line, I would not trust myself to do the BEST job in TIG welding in a cage intended to save my life.
I have no intentions to air out my personal life or justify why some cars have come and gone as they have. And I’ve got no problem admitting my indecisiveness. Just a young guy still learning what I’m capable of and what I want to do.
There is no end-all “this is the car I’m gonna keep forever and putt it back and forth to work and autozone”. But i do hope to build something im proud to own. This is not my crowd here much as it used to be, I realize that as well.
Im looking forward to shaking the bugs out of the white car in a couple months while I prep the other and trying to get one of them out during the 2018 race season.
:nice:

I started to address some of the inaccuracies here, but I think it’s a waste of time for us both. We don’t share the same views and as always, You’re welcome to your opinion.
People change, plans change. My life and priorities are in a much different place than they were 2 years ago when I bought this car fully intent on taking it out weekend racing.
Safety wasn’t the concern, having some resemblance of a cage so the local track wouldn’t kick me out was.
I enjoy the building process and haven’t gotten much time to enjoy the “finished” part because I also know when I’m not satisfied with something and up to now, I’ve not built anything I’m happy with. Part of the problem with learning as you go and not knowing what you’re doing I guess. Constant need for re-evaluation and redirection.
I will not cut corners with safety. There is no building onto the roll bar diameter mild steel “cage” in my foxbody.
I know where my welding ability is, and bottom line, I would not trust myself to do the BEST job in TIG welding in a cage intended to save my life.
I have no intentions to air out my personal life or justify why some cars have come and gone as they have. And I’ve got no problem admitting my indecisiveness. Just a young guy still learning what I’m capable of and what I want to do.
There is no end-all “this is the car I’m gonna keep forever and putt it back and forth to work and autozone”. But i do hope to build something im proud to own. This is not my crowd here much as it used to be, I realize that as well.
Im looking forward to shaking the bugs out of the white car in a couple months while I prep the other and trying to get one of them out during the 2018 race season.
:nice:
I cannot fault you wanting to be safe when in a car capable of 160-180 mph 1/4 mile speed. I also cannot fault your build ethics. And, internet ambiguity aside, my comments were more of a shove to the shoulder a la " C' Mon Man!" Intended to bust your balls, not to force you to justify yourself.

I cannot fault you wanting to be safe when in a car capable of 160-180 mph 1/4 mile speed. I also cannot fault your build ethics. And, internet ambiguity aside, my comments were more of a shove to the shoulder a la " C' Mon Man!" Intended to bust your balls, not to force you to justify yourself.
You didn’t upset me, Mike. I guess I was subconsciously speaking to a larger audience, probably unnecessarily.
The “cmon man...” I feel more than anything. It would be easy to illustrate the frustrating build thread rollercoaster I’ve constructed over the last near decade. An automotive time machine would save me thousands of dollars and a bad reputation.
One of these days,..

You didn’t upset me, Mike. I guess I was subconsciously speaking to a larger audience, probably unnecessarily.
The “cmon man...” I feel more than anything. It would be easy to illustrate the frustrating build thread rollercoaster I’ve constructed over the last near decade. An automotive time machine would save me thousands of dollars and a bad reputation.
One of these days,..
Sht Tanner, look at all you learned from this build.

I'm not a huge chevy fan, but I loved your build and the odds and ends you were coming up with. You've given me all sorts of ideas for my silly little build.

The time wasn't wasted and it was a benefit beyond you and to us guys that are up to our a-holes in our builds.

Keep on brother, maybe by the time you get to my age you'll have one you can keep?:dammit:

Lol, thanks for your tenacity even though it has it's limits when reality slaps you in the face.

One of these days,..

So what am I supposed to do with this bucket of tomatoes??? :fuss:

Anyway... It's your show man, we're just along for the ride.

I comment on Dragon Ball Super when it doesn't go my way too. :D

Akira Toriyama: This stupid ass again???