TCP power R&P now only 2500

• Sponsors (?)

Originally posted by corpse
I haven't seen it - but don't get too excited. If Mustangs Plus is still selling it at 25 million dollars, then no way someone else is selling it a grand cheaper - I'm sure the pricing is out of date - remember, it takes at least a month or so (if not longer) to print up a parts catalog.. That's ALOT of content to get just right. Just like the phone book is only 90% accurate when it's first delivered.

I contacted Mustangs Unlimited and this was their response:

"Sir,
Total Control was bought out,by Mustang Depot.They are the only supplier,and the price is $2495.00,and it is presently out of stock. If you have any questions,please e-mail or call us at 1-800-243-7278.
Thank You
Mustangs Unlimited
Sales Team"

We all knew it was too good to be true. However, I don't think their statement that TCP was bought out by Mustang Depot is correct. It was Mustangs Plus that's handling the distribution, not Depot. They're probably not happy about it.

Originally posted by Red Barchetta

I contacted Mustangs Unlimited and this was their response:

"Sir,
Total Control was bought out,by Mustang Depot.They are the only supplier,and the price is $2495.00,and it is presently out of stock. If you have any questions,please e-mail or call us at 1-800-243-7278.
Thank You
Mustangs Unlimited
Sales Team"

We all knew it was too good to be true. However, I don't think their statement that TCP was bought out by Mustang Depot is correct. It was Mustangs Plus that's handling the distribution, not Depot. They're probably not happy about it.

You know...I heard Home Depot is selling TCP stuff too:rolleyes: :D

lookie here...

I found this. A company called Kugel Komponents manufactures a kit to put a 302 in a focus. They sell all the parts necessary for the swap, including a non-power R&P setup for $250!:eek: Power costs you an extra $100. I don't know if they manufacture said kit in house or what, but I emailed them about doing something similar for us. I even sent them links to this forum and this thread. We'll see if I hear anything back, and what they have to say. But if they can do this for a focus for that cheap, they could crush TCP's prices in a heartbeat.

Almost forgot link:
http://www.kugelkomponents.com/focus/focusprice.pdf

hi guys,

I packed up my prototype and documentation and paid a visit
to Rare Parts, in Stockton CA. My host was Marshall Giorgi,
with whom i've had several phone conversations about the R&P
conversion.

http://www.rareparts.com/index2.html

Marshall and I sat down and outlined what I hoped to learn from
my visit;

1. Are the three outer t/r part numbers available off the shelf?
If not, how hard would it be to make them?
2. Are the three inner part t/r numbers available in a longer
Length? if not, how hard would it be to make them?

Together we poured over my spreadsheets and Marshall double
checked a couple of parts numbers in their system. He agreed
with my conclusions that only three inner t/r and six outer
t/r part numbers would cover almost all of the Fords from
the early sixties to early seventies.

We were both stumped by the part number for the early Mustang
because of it's small .448" taper, and lack of application listing.
Taking the part number we went out to the warehouse and he
actually found one on the shelf. Rare Parts has an extensive
sample inventory. They claim to have one of everything, and it
sure looks like they do.

Marshall then took me on a tour of the rest of the plant. They are
certainly ready to back up their claim that if they can't get it,
they'll make it. They have an extensive inventory of every suspension
part you can think of. And they have a huge inventory of components
to make anything you need. Their machine shop area is very clean
and well lighted. I saw lots of different parts being made, centerlinks
and ends, stainless sway bar links, and power steering eliminators.

We then went into the testing facility where Marshall introduced me
to Danny who's in charge of breaking things. They had a whole cabinet
filled with parts that had been stress tested to failure. We then reviewed
my design for the center link and tie rods for the conversion. They said
some nice things about my plans, it was great to have my ideas
acknowledged by folks who do this for a living.

Danny mentioned that it takes 6000# of force to pull the late 80's Ford
inner tie rod apart. By coincidence he had one of the part numbers I
had identified on the bench about to be tested. After going over my
earlier conversation with Marshall, Danny agreed that our next steps
are to answer the two issues above.

Finally as Marshall walked me out and he agreed that sourcing or making
the parts need for my R&P kit is definitely something they'd be interested
in. He said they would also be open to making the special studs, tubular
center link, and spacer block. I need to get him spec drawings so that
he can put together a complete bid.

This visit was a huge step toward making the kit available for purchase.
their design advice, their production capacity, and their enthusiasm will
ensure that the kit will be robust...

I have a good friend that lives near Stockholm, Sweden. He is currently working on a "Salvage yard" R&P donor setup that is about to bust the dam wide open on the seemingly never end quandry everyone has about what salvage yard R&P units can be made to fit these older Mustangs --and for FAR LESS than the TCP and other setups!

He still has a few more things to do in getting it completely ironed out, but I'm very confident that very soon, the rest of the Mustang and Ford related world is about to be bestowed with his discovery!

www.ultrastang.com

YEAAA!!!! Keep up the good work guys!!! Amazing how someone from way across the world (Sweden) is trying to develop and alternative for our R&P woes!!!! Sixto...sounds like things are going your way!!! Please keep us posted!!!

tomstir

I called Danny Bahn today........he said that he has had a R&P for 18 years and it has been in numerous magazines. He doesn't make a manual only power...gave me a list of what it comes with. He said that every year they improve on it...it now comes with adjustable bumpsteer stops. When I checked my email he had emailed me today with a list of parts and a price list. Hope this helps.

I'm waiting to check out sixto's stuff.....keep us informed!!!!!

Tomstir

All these racks!!!

hey Stangers!

Lots of info for the article! Thanks for all your help, and I'll keep you posten on it's progress.

I did not know there was so much out there to update the steering on a classic Pony!

Chepsk8:D

Not to rain on the parade, but I question how his bumpsteer and turning radius will be. Looks like the rack he's using has end take offs, as opposed to the center takeoff that early model Mustangs and TCP uses. This will definitely have an affect on bumpsteer. Also, with the end take offs, that tends to limit the amount of travel in the rack. But those are just some observations, since it doesn't look like he has the car all back together, we'll have to wait and see.