TCP Power Rack - Original PS pump

fvike

Member
Aug 24, 2004
335
0
16
38
Mosjøen, Norway
www.cardomain.com
Anyone using the original PS pump with the TCP power Rack & Pinion?
If you do - how does it preform, any problems?
I know the TCP tech sheets says they flow 25-50% to much. To bad the TCP pump is so friggin' expencive. There are other parts I'd like to use my money on.
 
  • Sponsors(?)


jamison42166

Member
Jun 13, 2006
112
0
16
I am using the origional pump for now and they are right.. its not real responsive and it makes sucking noises when turning the steering wheel.
the KRC-2000 Pump kit is pricey... but you can order all the parts minus the hoses and fittings and save over $200 that way.
 

bnickel

Founding Member
Aug 21, 2002
5,640
1
77
50
lubbock, texas
Visit site
you guys might try to put an adjustable valve in line in the return line to the pump. mustang and fords had an article on this a few years back and basically it was just a hardware store brass adjustable valve. if you install this you are then able to dial in the pressure however you want it. you might also consider installing a larger pump pulley as well to slow the pump down, i've done this with my stock steering and it works well. the pulley i used was from a 73 galaxie 500. but one from a truck might work just as well.
 
Jun 1, 2004
0
0
6
Livermore, California
I've used both. I replaced the stock PS pump which came with my 5.0L EFI conversion (1993 Mustang donor) after a year or so. This virtually eliminated the squealing, but I'll occasionally hear a small amount servo noise while turning the wheel. Big improvement.

Everything may just bolt up, but be prepared for some fabrication, particularly if you're A/C equipped or have other engine mods. My 5.0L came with serpentine pulleys. I kept the A/C, and installed AFR 165 heads. I wound up shortening the spacers by .250", and fabricating aluminum brackets to adapt the remote PS reservoir to mount on the A/C compressor bracket (instead of the fenderwell). This meant I had to cut metal out of the bracket in order for the pump to clear.

Now, you can actually order the pump directly from KRC. By the time you go through the hassle of collecting the proper hoses, brackets, and spacers, you're better off getting the kit from TCP (Chris Alston's Chassis Works).
 

69gmachine

Member
Dec 2, 2004
576
1
19
58
Southern Maryland
70XR7ConvertCat said:
I've used both. I replaced the stock PS pump which came with my 5.0L EFI conversion (1993 Mustang donor) after a year or so. This virtually eliminated the squealing, but I'll occasionally hear a small amount servo noise while turning the wheel. Big improvement.
Also, the 78-up plastic reservoir Ford pump has the same bolt pattern as the old heavy cast iron pumps, and the same offset for the shaft. You will need to clearance the bracket if you are using the original cast alum 67-69 bracket (my set-up), but there is a significant weight savings with the modern pump, so there is still plenty of meat in the bracket to support it. I used a 5/8-18 to -6 AN fitting and made my own hi pressure hose. I have not had any leaks, so I'm happy with that part. I must admit however, that it does squeal when I rev past idle (is the cast bracket bending under load?). I have attributed the squeal to a mis-aligned pulley, but it may be inherent in the pump. My planned attempt to cure the squeal was to go to a serpentine set-up, but it sounds like that may not be the answer based on 70XR7s experience.

I should also say that Ford used at least 4 different valves in the plastic reservoir pumps over the years for different applications, at least 2 for Saginaw type steering boxes (one for trucks, another for cars), and at least 2 for R&P applications (78-89, 90-97 Mustang). If I had enough time and money to experiment it may be possible that one works better than the others. I like the OEM look of the Ford pump better than the KRC, but I'd give up on it if the KRC will kill the squeal.

Can you confirm which "stock" pump you were reffering to 70XR7?
 
Jun 1, 2004
0
0
6
Livermore, California
69gmachine said:
....
I should also say that Ford used at least 4 different valves in the plastic reservoir pumps over the years for different applications, at least 2 for Saginaw type steering boxes (one for trucks, another for cars), and at least 2 for R&P applications (78-89, 90-97 Mustang). If I had enough time and money to experiment it may be possible that one works better than the others. I like the OEM look of the Ford pump better than the KRC, but I'd give up on it if the KRC will kill the squeal.

Can you confirm which "stock" pump you were reffering to 70XR7?
The stock pump I originally used was whatever came on a 1993 Mustang GT. The pump itself has a plastic body with an integral reservoir. I've heard it's possible to find a stock pump which works satisfactorily with the TCP rack (if you try hard enough), but I don't know any people (including myself) who would would go through the pain. A cheaper way out might be to first try the adjustable PS valve with a stock pump to see if choking back the flow can resolve the noise problem.
 

69gmachine

Member
Dec 2, 2004
576
1
19
58
Southern Maryland
I should mention that I'm using a GM J-car rack, not the TCP, so I'm not really comparing apples to apples anyway. However, since I seem to have a similar problem, I was hoping that the solution that works for TCP will also work for me. I'm using the 5Z-AA pulley that measures 5.75 in dia. so it shouldn't be spinning too fast, and the only time it squeals is when I rev it past idle, so my problem may not be the same.
 

bnickel

Founding Member
Aug 21, 2002
5,640
1
77
50
lubbock, texas
Visit site
69gmachine said:
I should mention that I'm using a GM J-car rack, not the TCP, so I'm not really comparing apples to apples anyway. However, since I seem to have a similar problem, I was hoping that the solution that works for TCP will also work for me. I'm using the 5Z-AA pulley that measures 5.75 in dia. so it shouldn't be spinning too fast, and the only time it squeals is when I rev it past idle, so my problem may not be the same.
you might try using a pump from a 90's jeep cherokee. it will take some facbrication to mount it, though. it's basically the same kind of pump that GM uses on the cars with rack and pinion and what a lot of teh circle track racers sround here use but it has an integral reservoir instead of a remote mount unit.
 

69gmachine

Member
Dec 2, 2004
576
1
19
58
Southern Maryland
Good idea Bnickel... I suppose I could also just go to AZone and get a GM J-car pump that was designed to work with it. If I'm going to fab a mounting bracket, it may as well be for the correct pump, unless of course it doesn't have an integral reservoir, then I'll try the Jeep pump instead.
 

bnickel

Founding Member
Aug 21, 2002
5,640
1
77
50
lubbock, texas
Visit site
i think the J-car units have a remote reservoir, hence the suggestion for the Jeep unit. i could be totally off course though. i'm pretty sure it's the J-car unit the roundy-round guys use around here and whichever one it is they use has a remote mount res.