Tdc and intake change

• Sponsors (?)

You don't have to but it does make it easier to get the engine back in time. No matter if I get it on TDC or not I always mark the position of the distributor on the block and the rotor on the distributor.

Reactions: 1 user
You don't have to but it does make it easier to get the engine back in time. No matter if I get it on TDC or not I always mark the position of the distributor on the block and the rotor on the distributor.
So if i understand , i just have to mark with a marker the position of the distributor and put back in at the same place ? Without put the cylinder 1 at. Tdc ?

Plenty of vids out there to show you how to do it . Just rotate to Tdc and do it right so you learn . I can literally do this process in less then 10 min I think . It isn’t hard at all

Ithank you for the reply . I know is easy but im curious why i need to put tdc before removing the distributor.
So that when you reinstall it you know the dist is in the correct spot in the timing events so you can set the timing correctly . The engine will be in the same spot . Dist goes in on cyl 1 again and then you just set the timing once the car is running and you’re good to go .

Reactions: 1 user
Marking the distributor location on the base and the block puts the timing back to the same place every time. Using TDC and marking the #1 plug position just keeps it simple and after a couple times you can do it blindfolded.
Most of us take things apart several times and find easy ways to put them back together.

Ithank you for the reply . I know is easy but im curious why i need to put tdc before removing the distributor.
It doesn't have to be. It doesn't matter which position the distributor is when you pull it out.

Some people like to put it at TDC on #1, and verify the rotor is pointing at the #1 plug before removing, then when you stab it back in the same way it's easy to start.

Make sure your spout is out when you set base timing upon assembly.

It doesn't have to be. It doesn't matter which position the distributor is when you pull it out.

Some people like to put it at TDC on #1, and verify the rotor is pointing at the #1 plug before removing, then when you stab it back in the same way it's easy to start.

Make sure your spout is out when you set base timing upon assembly.
Right I agree but making a habit of starting with the engine tdc on cyl isn’t a bad thing . This way if any other things need to be done like adjusting valves etc you know where you’re starting at no matter what .

In most cases you can just remove the dizzy cap and ring and have enough clearance to remove/reinstall the lower intake manifold. I've done it multiple times this way and never had a problem unless you want to pull the dizzy for some reason

Either way works, but if you spin the motor over using the mark the distributor method, then your reference is no longer good. If you use the tdc method and spin the motor over for any reason, all you have to do is go back to tdc and your are good to go.

Joe

It's like 'spin the engine and take your chances'. Everybody has their way of doing things.
I removed my intake 4 times chasing the whistle that is famous when using a BBK throttle body. Every time it fired right up. No muss, no fuss.
if you mark the rotor position and the distributor location and don't turn the crank then it will not matter.