Tech help needed

DocG

5th graders > me. They're not bant
Sep 25, 2005
Cincinnati area
I've been battling a cooling prob for awhile. Leak, replaced all the gaskets on the upper half because they were leaking.

No, I drove the car for 15 minutes, ran to 180 in a few minutes and only cooled when driving at near 50+.....by the time I got her home, 210......and that was after a 15 minute drive with a break.

Stopped and parked in the street and a nice 18 inch coolant stain on the street.

My buddy who is my mechanic........and I want to trust cuz he builds this type of stuff all day long....well he tells me water pump leaking. He didn't just guess.....got underneath with a mirror and that's what he told me.

I jacked her up....I'm not seeing it? Of course now its like 5 hours later.....should I assume it only leaks when its hot or warm? I'm tired of chasing ghosts, yet I trust this guy with my car because I've seen his work and he is A++.

Also.......

Part 2!

My fan clutch has gone bad I think, thus making more cooling probs.

Should my fan spin freely while off? I'm thinking it should have some friction. Right now, nothing. Which would only help explain my cooling probs at lower speeds and traffic.

Pffffft.

• Sponsors (?)

Only pressure test I did was hooking up a tool to suck the air out.

Hmmmm........

Wonder if that blew the water pump gaskets. It sucked hella air out of the system.

What is the weep hole and how do I check?

Any advice on the fan clutch....cuz I'm about to pull it!

When my fan clutch went, it really went bad. It had very visible play. Fan clutches are cheap and easy to change.:shrug: I didn't even take the belt off. The weep hole will look like a little hole drilled into the water pump. It will be wet there if it is leaking there. I guess you could have popped a gasket with what you used to vaccum the cooling system. I've never tried one of those before.

i would just replace the water pump as well, once your down in there and have the fan and clutch off you might as well just swap out the pump, it wont kill the bank but it will save your engine