Temperature gauge not working

Chad21D

Feb 27, 2020
Michigan
Iv been trying to get my temperature gauge to work after I did a engine swap. The parts car was a 2000 v6 mustang and the car that the engine and transmission went into was a 2003 v6 mustang. I have changed the coolant temperature sensor and the thermostat I wired the clips from both years together and separate and the gauge will cycle when the key turns on but sits below the cold mark I let it run for 20 mins and no sign of the gauge working?

• Sponsors (?)

Iv been trying to get my temperature gauge to work after I did a engine swap. The parts car was a 2000 v6 mustang and the car that the engine and transmission went into was a 2003 v6 mustang. I have changed the coolant temperature sensor and the thermostat I wired the clips from both years together and separate and the gauge will cycle when the key turns on but sits below the cold mark I let it run for 20 mins and no sign of the gauge working. Iv been trying to find a fuse for it but haven’t been able to find anything for the temperature gauge itself of the coolant temperature sensor. Any help?

I wired the clips from both years together
This is your problem.

A 2000 MY V6 uses an ECT.

A 2001+ MY V6 uses a cylinder head temperature sensor.

The sensor used needs to match what the original PCM is expecting. Which in your case is a CHT.

But I can promise you that wiring two different temperature sensors together is not going to do what you want. The resistance values will not be what the PCM is expecting.