Test drove an 06 GT...Help a brother out

ViperNuge

Sep 26, 2009
Maui
I test drove an 06 GT yesterday and have a question. I did not realize the traction control was on till the end of the drive. I did a lot of full throttle runs up to 70 mph and was not impressed with the pickup and auto tranny shifting. Felt kinda slow IMO. With TC off is there much of a difference? Does it accerate faster and does the auto tranny shift "harder"? Car only had 16,350 miles on it. I know the stock gears are 3:3? and a set of 4:10's would really help out.

I appreciate any input you all have, as I am looking to buy a s197 soon to run at the track.:D

patrick

• Sponsors (?)

The T.C. doesn't come into play unless the car was spinning. A tune will easily add 20 or more h.p. and firm up the shifts for the auto. Yes, 4:10's will make a huge difference. If you decide to buy, check back here. There are a few tuners that can really wake your car up with a tune. You would need to purchase a tuner and then the custom tune which are much better than what comes stock on the tuner.

The cars also do not respond instantly, something about how they are wired. (I am not a tech person so I don't know the correct terminology). I understand that there is a relatively easy fix for it so you get immediate throttle response.
Can someone else better explain this?

The 3V power band is deceptive. It comes on smooth and seemless, unlike what many of us were used to with an OHV engine. It may feel a little "sedate" to you, but its quicker than any stock GT before it. The top end pull is impressive for a N/A car.

As stated above a tune will free up some usable power. The drive by throttle body on these cars is set up to deliver comfortable operation and smooth acceleration....not maximum performance.

Patrick, I have an 07 GT Automatic. When stock, the car launched a bit lazily and shifted sluggish. GT Automatics still run high 13's in the 1/4 mile, so they're quick, but don't feel quick, as already mentioned by others.

First mod I did was 4.10 gears and a premium fuel tune. Throttle lag was cured, shift firmness was much crisper, and the car felt way better. In fact, with just those mods, it was a half second quicker and 2-3 mph faster in the 1/4 mile versus stock.

Traction control should be off for any acceleration runs. Even though it is supposed to only intervene when tire spin is detected, I've seen that it does take away some power even before the tires want to spin.

Patrick, I have an 07 GT Automatic. When stock, the car launched a bit lazily and shifted sluggish. GT Automatics still run high 13's in the 1/4 mile, so they're quick, but don't feel quick, as already mentioned by others.

First mod I did was 4.10 gears and a premium fuel tune. Throttle lag was cured, shift firmness was much crisper, and the car felt way better. In fact, with just those mods, it was a half second quicker and 2-3 mph faster in the 1/4 mile versus stock.

Traction control should be off for any acceleration runs. Even though it is supposed to only intervene when tire spin is detected, I've seen that it does take away some power even before the tires want to spin.

Brian I actually was thinking about your previous post in my other thread when I was driving the car. Thinking to myself "could this really be a 14 second car stock" like that guy said it was. It just didnt feel like a 14 second car. When I noticed that the TC was on thats what got me wondering if it was sorta "detuning" the car.

My first mods would be 4:10 gears and a tune for sure. I am still waiting for the dealer to give me the carfax report. They are slow or not wanting to show me.............or maybe too cheap to get one! LOL I dont know.

patrick

I am still waiting for the dealer to give me the carfax report. They are slow or not wanting to show me.............or maybe too cheap to get one! LOL I dont know.

patrick

Patrick - that 2006 Mustang GT has a clean history report. Sold new in September 2006 and has had two owners....

Full History
Below are the historical events for this vehicle listed in chronological order. Any discrepancies will be in bold text.

Report Run Date: 2009-09-29 13:29:39:044 CDT

Vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang GT (1ZVFT82H265216394)

Event Date Event Location Odometer Reading Data Source Event Detail
3/13/2006 HI Independent Source VEHICLE MANUFACTURED AND SHIPPED TO DEALER
9/16/2006 HI 29 Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title# PDX87206)
9/16/2006 WAILUKU, HI Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
7/10/2007 HI Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title# PDX87206)
7/10/2007 WAILUKU, HI Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
8/12/2008 HI Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title# PDX87208)
8/12/2008 WAILUKU, HI Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
6/9/2009 KAHULUI, HI 16247 Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title# PDX87209)
6/9/2009 KAHULUI, HI Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL

Thanks for the info dude. How can you tell it has had two owners? If the original owner traded it in to the current dealer would that mean the current dealer is owner number two? Where does it show the mileage when sold to the second owner?

When I click on the dealers site "carfax" link it says this car has 17 records. Of course you gotta pay to see the entire report.

Sorry for all the questions.....I just really like to do my research before I spend my cash. I do appreciate your help.

patrick

Thanks for the info dude. How can you tell it has had two owners? If the original owner traded it in to the current dealer would that mean the current dealer is owner number two? Where does it show the mileage when sold to the second owner?

When I click on the dealers site "carfax" link it says this car has 17 records. Of course you gotta pay to see the entire report.

Sorry for all the questions.....I just really like to do my research before I spend my cash. I do appreciate your help.

patrick

Sorry, Patrick, the copy/paste didn't turn out as neatly as the original report looked. There are two different titles issued for this GT, so two different owners. The first was on 9/16/06 at 29 miles and the second on 6/09/09 at 16,247 miles.

In Washington state (where I'm from), a dealer does not show up with a title record on the history report, but maybe in Hawaii a dealer does? If so, this may be a 1-owner car. But, the vehicle history report said 2-owners at the very very top of the report (which I did not include).

Full History
Below are the historical events for this vehicle listed in chronological order. Any discrepancies will be in bold text.

Report Run Date: 2009-09-29 13:29:39:044 CDT

Vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang GT (1ZVFT82H265216394)

Event Date Event Location Odometer Reading Data Source Event Detail

3/13/2006 HI Independent Source VEHICLE MANUFACTURED AND SHIPPED TO DEALER
9/16/2006 HI 29 miles Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title# PDX87206) <<< Owner #1.
9/16/2006 WAILUKU, HI Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
7/10/2007 HI Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title# PDX87206)
7/10/2007 WAILUKU, HI Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
8/12/2008 HI Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title# PDX87208)
8/12/2008 WAILUKU, HI Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
6/9/2009 KAHULUI, HI 16247 miles Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title# PDX87209) <<< Owner #2.
6/9/2009 KAHULUI, HI Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL

Ok now it makes more sense. The dealer is owner number two. The craigslist ad showed the mileage same as in your report. When I test drove it, there were 50 more miles on it. Tags are expired now but the salesman said they dont put the stickers on till it sells.

If I can get over the gawdawful plain interior this car could be a nice platform for the drag racing I have being wanting to do. I just have no consistency in my srt10 6 speed.

I need to grind the dealer down on the price, no way I am paying $18,995 for it.....and its been on their lot for 4 months.

Again mahalo for the clarification.:nice:

patrick

Having the auto myself, I can easily agree that in stock form it feels sluggish, BUT it felt noticeably quicker than my manual '00 GT! The S197 is a fairly solid/refined car which adds to the misleading speed! A tune really wakes the auto up as it firms up the shift and I could easily get the stock tires to chirp 3rd! I never ran mine in stock form, but did get consistent 13.3s on the stock tires with just 4.10s, CAI, 93 race tune, and O/R H:nice:
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid87.photobucket.com/albums/k121/kooldawg6/NVMCDragday_0001.flv">

Since swapping LCAs, relocation brackets, LTs and O/R X and using MT ET Streets, BUT adding a trunk full of amps and subs, I can still manage low 13s:nice:
YouTube - 4 4 09 NVMC Drag Day Fourth Pass