Test Drove an '07 GT

Rock302

Apr 20, 2007
IN the market for a car:

Test drove an '07 GT 5 speed today and here's my thoughts:

-Impressed with the power, dealer let me open her up on the highway and I got to almost 100mph in no time.

-Car felt somewhat jittery, I guess that's what you get for the solid rear axle. The ride was def. better than my notch. Much more stable at high speeds than a fox body.

-Love the stock V8 rumble and would sound even better with a nice set of aftermarklet mufflers (flowmasters/borla?)

-Didn't like the interior except for the gauges. I know most cars are plastic inside but this interior looked and felt cheap. My '05 Mazda 3 for 18 grand is by far much nicer inside, the plastic seems of higher grade and less cheap looking/feeling???

-Good bang for the buck for sheer power/acceleration but it needs improvements in handling. Most purists probably want to stick with the solid axle but an indy suspension would make this a better handling car at a higher premium of course.

I had thoughts about getting an S2000 but insurance rates are insane and the car didn't feel safe although it was more fun to drive than the Mustang. I also test drove an '07 350Z and that was quite impressive. Felt almost as fast as the mustang but made up for the difference in handling. Cost differential between the Stang and Z was about $1,500.

If anyone has some "UNBIASED" opinions I'd appreciate it. Also if some have driven both or own both please give my your impressions.

• Sponsors (?)

Well, you're asking a Mustang Forum for an unbiased opinion on the mustang... good luck buddy ;)

I've driven the 350z. It doesn't feel as fast as the stang, to me it looks way better on paper, but doesn't deliver in the style category (which is pure subjection i know). It doesn't have the same flavor as the mustang, I can't imagine teetering between those two cars. They attract different crowds, I don't think anyone serious about either of those cars would consider the other in the end.

If it helps your decision, i've heard that the vq powerplant in the z is pretty much tapped out from the factory and a mustang is ALWAYS going to have a strong aftermarket.

Eitherway, you're going to end up with a nice car!

I've driven the Z. If I had 100 cars, the Z would likely be one of them. I just prefer the Mustang. The size of the Mustang, for example, is more to my taste. I like the Z's guage pod and its looks but the Mustang has more history. It's also an issue of lifestyle.
I agree that the Mustang's interior has too much plastic. Make that too much soft plastic. The console and dash scratch very easily.
That shouldn't be the case. I have had my 2007 a month. I saw a spot on the console, rubbed my finger over it and there is now a scratch. I had a 2005. Ford scratched the dash when the Shaker 500 had to be changed out. My 2007 GT has a scratch on the dash when my installer put in a different head unit. (He claims he can fix it.) The point is, that material should not scratch that easily.
There is, however, no car that can compare to the Mustang as far as legendary status, eye-appeal, raw horsepower, etc.
It is an American icon. The Z is not. The Corvette might also be an icon, but for lots more money.

I've driven both and for the price difference being only 1500, I was trying to figure out what options were on both cars (track, touring, enthusiast). Seems to me, when I was looking just over a year ago, the 350Z was much more expensive. Anyways.... I think the 350Z looks amazing in the blue or the amber color, since you're looking new (best color on the Z was the purple they offered in '06 in a limited run). It definitely was quick and felt better around the curves than the Mustang, but like you said, the power doesn't compare. I want to say the throw for the shifters was actually very similar, which I found interesting because I thought the throw on the Z was pretty good... so a kind of kudos to Ford for that. Honestly, it comes down to what you want. If you want to enjoy the car around curves, I'd say Z unless you wanted to put some more cash into the Stang. Both are good cars in their own right. There is a strong enough aftermarket to support either car but my understanding is the 350Z is later in its lifecycle and might be freshened up with the Skyline and the Infiniti G37 coming out soon. Just something to think about.

Thanks for your inputs guys. In my haste I neglected to mention that I was also considering an older porsche probably a mid 80's 911 carrera or SC. The porsche was actually my first love as a child.

I've never driven one of these but those older air cooled porsches sound pretty damn sweet!!!

Anyone in here own or have driven a mid 80's 911SC/Carrera?

Thanks in advance!!

When all things are about equal, it becomes a matter of taste...

If you like the body style of the Mustang, BUY IT!!!

If not, then buy something else...

Each of the cars you mentioned have their good points and bad points...

Most of the readers of this forum bought there Mustangs because they like the body styling...

After we purchased ours, we modified it to our personal liking (ie. engine, body panels, wheels and tires, etc.)...

Good Luck with your decision...

Dave

I read a magazine article recently testing the 07 350Z and the 07 Shelby GT (a mustang GT with the Ford Racing Power Pack and Handling Pack) and on the open course the shelby finished only like half a second slower. You can mod a Mustang GT with the Ford Racing Power and Handling pack for around $2000. Do a couple more mods and you'll beat a 350z on an open track!

IN the market for a car:

Test drove an '07 GT 5 speed today and ....

If anyone has some "UNBIASED" opinions I'd appreciate it.

D R I V E _ F O R D !

FordBlueOval.gif

wanna pay $100 for a lugnut?? Buy an older porsche.

LOL, wanna make up your mind quick??? Try a full throttle launch on that Z from a stop. That useless irs bounces and hops so bad, I thought the entire back half of the car would just tear off.

Dude, you own a fox, you're a mustang guy, like it or not. You get your thrills from v8 muscle and torque. You'll never be happy with an import sports car.

IN the market for a car:

Test drove an '07 GT 5 speed today and here's my thoughts:

-Impressed with the power, dealer let me open her up on the highway and I got to almost 100mph in no time.

The 1/4 on the stock GT was despatched in 13.8 by the mags but people regularly run better than that at the track.

-Car felt somewhat jittery, I guess that's what you get for the solid rear axle. The ride was def. better than my notch. Much more stable at high speeds than a fox body.

I'm surprised by that. When I first bought my GT, I thought it was too squishy and could feel those tall tires moving round as the suspension rolled. I swopped in Tokico D-Specs and Roush springs and the ride is now adjustable and firm and the handling way way better. I also roll on 275/35s to remove that flex in the sidewalls. It replaced a 2002 C5 Z06 and the Mustang ride was better, if anything.

-Love the stock V8 rumble and would sound even better with a nice set of aftermarklet mufflers (flowmasters/borla?)

The stock system is very efficient so just changing out the axle backs gives a massive choice in volume and pitch.

-Didn't like the interior except for the gauges. I know most cars are plastic inside but this interior looked and felt cheap. My '05 Mazda 3 for 18 grand is by far much nicer inside, the plastic seems of higher grade and less cheap looking/feeling???

Are we talking about the Premium with the upgrade here? I agree the stock GT interior is cheap and nasty but the interior upgrade makes a huge difference to the ambience and perceived quality. I have an 05 Mazda 5 and I find the interior plastics are total crap and scratch really easily. That replaced a Civic Type R and the interior on that was very cheap too. Like anything these days, you seem to pay for the engine and get the interior for free. The interior is far better than my 4th gen Z28 (even with the Euro-fit Trans Am leather seats).

-Good bang for the buck for sheer power/acceleration but it needs improvements in handling. Most purists probably want to stick with the solid axle but an indy suspension would make this a better handling car at a higher premium of course.

True it needs improvements. Not true it's the rear axle. We have a mag here in the UK who hold a Performance Car Of The Year test every year. In 2005, the Roush Mustang came 3rd, ABOVE the 350Z and below the BMW M3 CS. the C6 came 10th. If you check out the Top Gear website, you'll see the Roush Mustang blitzed the track in hugely competent style and amongst illustrious company at 1:28. The FR500C also proves the car can beat the best Europe has to offer.

I had thoughts about getting an S2000 but insurance rates are insane and the car didn't feel safe although it was more fun to drive than the Mustang.

You can't really compare the two. Muscle car vs sports car. But we have road runs here in the UK and a modified Mustang (albeit with a supercharger too) can run with the best of them - we recently had a fantastic run with an M5 V10 and a Porsche GT2 where it was only the brakes that really held the car back (or didn't so to speak). It's true to say that when I had the Civic Type R, it was a real hoot to drive but not in the same league as a supercharged Stang and certainly slower than the stock GT.

I also test drove an '07 350Z and that was quite impressive. Felt almost as fast as the Mustang but made up for the difference in handling. Cost differential between the Stang and Z was about $1,500.

Yes, we had a 350Z which went well and clearly had great handling even in convertible form but the interior is plasticky on those too and the controls are heavy. Great car though, still more in latest form with over 300hp. Recent test had that sprinting the 1/4 in 13.8 too.

If anyone has some "UNBIASED" opinions I'd appreciate it. Also if some have driven both or own both please give my your impressions.

The guy who owned the 350Z was lusting after a Saleen last time I saw him. Maybe because the 350Z is nothing special to look at - stylish yes but pretty common over here. I would certainly consider one but the Mustang with mods would always beat it into second place in desirability.

Someone mentioned 911s. I love the look of the 997 but I'm afraid they're ten a penny on the streets (Porsche just produced the 100,000th model) and the older ones, though good, are not the handling giants many would have you believe but then again, they don't lose much money even if they cost more to look after. The downer for me on the older 911 is the useless rear seats and the absolutely rubbish dash.:D

wanna pay $100 for a lugnut?? Buy an older porsche.

LOL, wanna make up your mind quick??? Try a full throttle launch on that Z from a stop. That useless irs bounces and hops so bad, I thought the entire back half of the car would just tear off.

Dude, you own a fox, you're a mustang guy, like it or not. You get your thrills from v8 muscle and torque. You'll never be happy with an import sports car.

True, I do own a fox, in fact this is my 3rd fox overall. Everytime I get a different car, I always end up selling it and buying a fox. :bang: Like I said before, nothing beats the sound of a 5.0 L engine (IMO). I wonder if I should just stash the fox away and put it under non-operation status to save on insurance and then get the other car?

I overheard that there might be a Boss 302 or some other special edition stang(Bullit?) other than the Shelby GT500(super snake, KR, shelby GT,saleen etc.). If so, anyone have ideas or know when they'll come out? Rumors of an all aluminum 5.0 or is it just that, rumors?

I'm sorta itching for a car but I'm willing to wait if these rumors are true. I'd love to see what Ford has to offer.

Thanks for eveyone's input (Shooterm1, I love your candid response :D ).

Update::

Ok guys, a little 4.6L snake beat some sense into me the other day. I went and test drove a 1998 Cobra with some suspension mods( steeda strut brace, offset rack bushings, steeda springs, tokico adjustables, flows) and the thing was a beast in the straights as well as the twisties.

Best thing is the guy is the original owner and had it garaged for it's entire life. The car has not one paint issue and it still feels super smooth, no oxidation at all.
37K original miles, he put the car on his in-house rack so I could inspect the under carriage. Not one leak or seep of any oil and the damn A/C is like antarctica!!

I guess I am a FORD guy. :jaw: