THANKS FOR THE FLASH STRANGER

mr-mike

Jul 9, 2006
:flag:tickets of all kinds have become the tax base in most places , cops all over have gone mad giving speeding , tint & anything else they can find , while tooling along not speeding I got the high beams & sure enough a boy hiding in the tree line over a hill ....I always flash so lets do the right thing PS tickets are big big $$$$$$$ :rolleyes:

• Sponsors (?)

I think in 25 years of driving I've gotten the flash from another car twice. This past time a couple years back saved me from about a 15mph over the limit. Two motorcycle cops were having a field day.

With all these views this topics getting i think we were all in that boat :rlaugh:

ya gotta love catching them flashes on the other side of the road cause its hard doing the speed limit. I def give the flash if i see cops posted.

I was thinking something completely different when I read the thread title. I was hoping for pics too. :) But yeah I try to flash the lights when I see speed traps. I've had my fair share of 10-15 mph over speeding tickets. blah.

"Well my friend Ben Franklin says I'm 21, and he never told a lie."

-"That's George Washington."

"You drive a hard bargain."

Forgot the movie, but sounds really familiar.

Funny you mention this, I don't get a 'warning' flash too much from other cars, but I always travel the same route and know exactly where police are hidden waiting for speeders, especially at night. I did however get a flash from a truck for two cops standing at a stop sign in a residential neighborhood checking for seat belts.

here in FL it is ILLEGAL to flash....:D seriously, it is like a $500 fine if I remember correctly:shrug: bigger ticket than 20mph-over:notnice:

This is my first post here, and I hate for it to be a correction to an existing post - but I have to correct this statement.

I live in Florida, and was ticketed for blinking my headlights to warn others of a speed trap ("flashing lights prohibited" FS 316.2397(7)). It's a $100 non-moving violation ticket. This statue is not applicable to communication of motorists - and only prohibits specific types of lights (i.e. strobes, rotating, flashing). In fact, the driver's handbook and other statues specifically authorize (and require) the 'blinking of headlamps' to signal intent to pass, or to let someone know they can pull back into your lane.

I fought the ticket, and it was dismissed (thanks to a motion to dismiss by an attorney) before the trial.

If you are stopped for flashing your lights to warn others (in FL) please PM or email me.

The traffic stop (arrest), if based solely on the blinking lights, is an illegal stop - and a violation of due process and free speech - both federal and state rights.

On an aside, warning drivers to 'pay attention' is neither helping them break the law, or condoning speeding. All you're doing is giving them a heads-up that trouble lies ahead. For this to be an 'obstruction' charge, the law would have to prove that you colluded with the speeder.

Warning others is one of the last remaining civilities we have as driving motorists. I've done it since I first started driving. And now that I KNOW the law, I look forward to seeing LEO in the median. I start flashing my lights well before I pass them.

My traffic stop, where the officer clearly stated that warning other motorists is illegal, was recorded (both video and audio). I put it on YouTube, but took it down on the recommendation of the attorney who is representing me. I will put it back up again shortly...

Somewhat still on the subject.. In San Antonio today I saw a new undercover road rage cop.. A new white Camaro with the white lettering and black rims.. Totally looks like another Camaro on the road since you don't see the lights behind all the tint.. One of these bastards is gonna get me I can already feel it and I'm already thinking about my story on competitive spirit and how I just couldn't let a Chevy beat me :rlaugh:

Illegal in PA but that's why you just flash your high beams and not on/off your parking lights with it.

I've seen a few unmarked chargers with blacked out windows and loud exhaust...reving at other cars stopped at a stop light, and then taking off when the light turns green...

***UPDATE***

Much has happened since my 12/09 ticket for warning other drivers of a radar trap. An attorney fed up with government overreach agreed to represent me, filing a 6-page motion to dismiss. That worked.

Then, this week, he filed a class action lawsuit against the attorney general of the State of Florida for the 2400+ motorists who have been ticketed under the same statute - despite several court decisions (orders) that the statute did not apply to motorist communications.

The original video of the stop can be found on YouTube again:

YouTube - Cop issues ticket for warning others of speed trap

If you know of anyone who has received a ticket in Florida (whether a FL resident or not) for FS 316.2397(7) for flashing or blinking headlights, please let me know... I will receive notifications here - or you can post at the YouTube link.

How about you just obey traffic laws? Seems easier than spending at least one day in court. Yes, it's polite or a coreousy (sp?) to warn other drivers, but if other drivers are breaking the law, how is helping them not get caught going to make the roads any safer?

It's courtesy. Whether they're speeding or not is not my concern. I'm simply stating there is a hazard a head. They can choose to ignore it, or be grateful and return the favor to other drivers.

To answer your question more directly, let me ask you one: If me blinking my lights causes people to slow down to the speed limit, and pay more attention, does that not make the roads safer? Or do the police and their revenue generating methods have a monopoly on the practice?

***UPDATE***

Much has happened since my 12/09 ticket for warning other drivers of a radar trap. An attorney fed up with government overreach agreed to represent me, filing a 6-page motion to dismiss. That worked.

Then, this week, he filed a class action lawsuit against the attorney general of the State of Florida for the 2400+ motorists who have been ticketed under the same statute - despite several court decisions (orders) that the statute did not apply to motorist communications.

The original video of the stop can be found on YouTube again:

YouTube - Cop issues ticket for warning others of speed trap

If you know of anyone who has received a ticket in Florida (whether a FL resident or not) for FS 316.2397(7) for flashing or blinking headlights, please let me know... I will receive notifications here - or you can post at the YouTube link.

cop should have wrote him a ticket for driving w/o lights at night that would have stuck

Not really:

316.083 Overtaking and passing a vehicle.

The following rules shall govern the overtaking and passing of vehicles proceeding in the same direction, subject to those limitations, exceptions, and special rules hereinafter stated:

(1) The driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same direction shall give an appropriate signal as provided for in s. 316.156, shall pass to the left thereof at a safe distance, and shall not again drive to the right side of the roadway until safely clear of the overtaken vehicle. The driver of a vehicle overtaking a bicycle or other nonmotorized vehicle must pass the bicycle or other nonmotorized vehicle at a safe distance of not less than 3 feet between the vehicle and the bicycle or other nonmotorized vehicle.

(2) Except when overtaking and passing on the right is permitted, the driver of an overtaken vehicle shall give way to the right in favor of the overtaking vehicle, on audible signal or upon the visible blinking of the headlamps of the overtaking vehicle if such overtaking is being attempted at nighttime, and shall not increase the speed of his or her vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle.

This statute specifically authorizes headlamps to blink AT NIGHT as a form of communication. It doesn't say how many times to blink, or when to blink. Not that it matters, but in both cases, I was overtaking a vehicle on the left.