Progress Thread Thanks Stangnet - A Big Help

markinms

5 Year Member
Mar 1, 2018
Columbus MS
Things are finally getting better. Finally have my 87 Bronco II 5.0L swap running. It wasn't for a long time. Various issues ocurred making me question my initial splicing/integration of the BII and V8 wiring harnesses. I ended up unwarapping everything and rechecked wire-by-wire. Everything "appeared" to be ok, yet I still had no start issues. I started searching the net for solutions and that's how I found Stangnet; the best resource I've ever seen.

I ran a few searches here and soon came across the "Cranks but Won't Start" checklist. A real time-saver for me. I quickly eliminated most potential issues and focused on a few. Turned out my "new" distributor had a bad TFI module AND PIP sensor. I replaced those with original Ford Mustang parts. Also learned I installed the distributor off just enough where I couldn't set the timing (tight fit due to using 98 Xplorer FEAD). Things are finally getting better.

Tried to pull codes but absolutely could not.; thought this would allow me to focus in on specific issues. I followed the writeup on "How to ..Codes" with no luck. I tried using a code reader; again, no luck. Nothing would work for me. Tested all sensors and even though they appeared to be ok, I decided to replace them anyway (they were 18 years old). I installed the sensors, adjusted the TPS, and turned the key. It fired right up and was idling, although a bit rough at first. Soon I had exhaust leaks and smoke filling up the garage. I thought "oh crap," what have I done now. Turns out the muffler shop that did my exhaust work decided to use high temp RTV sealant between connections instead of the required gaskets. Fortunately I had the gaskets needed and after a few hours the leaks and smoke were gone. Took a shot at pulling codes again and low and behold, the code reader worked. I understand Code 11 means things are ok. Yep, things are definately getting better!

Ready for the maiden run. My wife and I climbed in, I fired it up and it was running great. Then...... we smelled gas. I shut her down and a with a quick check found I had a leak coming off a fuel filter connection.

Yep, things are finally better!

Mark

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)