The $20K V8 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

SVTdriver said:
Then I agree there is no chance. But if it did happen I would consider buying one. The problem here is everyone reads what they want to. And exclude anything that contradicts.
We can't change that, though... then it wouldn't be stangnet anymore...

I'm thinking that the odds of getting a GT are pretty good for me -- all of these rumors about the 2006 SVT suggest that it might cost quite a lot of money. And I don't know if I'll be ready by then to blow $40k+ on a two-seater sports car. Maybe a 25k GT on one side of the garage, and take the other $20k and put it towards a '04 F-150 to sit on the other side... :D

This is taken direct from the NAIAS website. "Mustang will be available with a choice of two engines. The base will feature a 200-horsepower V6 while the GT sports a V8 producing 300 horsepower. Both models will start at less than $20,000."

SVT: Interpret that one in two parts. I'm not saying there's going to be a 300HP GT under $20k, but statements like the aforementioned are definitely misleading. I don't think anyone here made up outrageous claims with nothing to back it up or they read just what they wanted. Yes, it's probably a mistake, and that's what this thread is all about. Calm down. Be positive.

Stangston said:
This is taken direct from the NAIAS website. "Mustang will be available with a choice of two engines. The base will feature a 200-horsepower V6 while the GT sports a V8 producing 300 horsepower. Both models will start at less than $20,000."

SVT: Interpret that one in two parts. I'm not saying there's going to be a 300HP GT under $20k, but statements like the aforementioned are definitely misleading. I don't think anyone here made up outrageous claims with nothing to back it up or they read just what they wanted. Yes, it's probably a mistake, and that's what this thread is all about. Calm down. Be positive.
Can you direct me to that quote. I'm on the NAIAS website and really can't find anything. Although I am not sure where to look. So that is slowing it down as well. And the notes and quotes sectoin has nothing on the mustang prices at all.
And I am being positive. As long as we are going to speculate. I can say I think it will have whatever I want. That's the whole thing about speculation. It has no real bounds. I can speculate it will have a ferrari engine. Do I have any facts no. But again it's just speculation.

For some reason, it's not letting me post the link without distorting it.

1. Go to www.naias.com
2. Go to exhibits---Exhibitors.
3. On the right there is a link to official NAIAS website by msn. Click.
4. Click today's coverage on the left.
5. Click the Jan 4th tab at top.
6. Click "Ford's Year of the Car"
7. Scroll down to bottom for Mustang info.

Something must be wrong with that link or something with my computer. Because all I'm getting it this.

Sorry, the page you're trying to reach is temporarily unavailable or the page may no longer exist.

SVT: There you go again. You're completely missing the point. It doesn't matter if it's on NAIAS, or on the official website by msn...it's information presented to the public that is causing the questioning in this thread. Please stop picking apart everone's posts and trying to make them look stupid. It's irritating to read...I love contradiction/opinions, but not negativity, cockiness, or whining. If the people on these boards lack the intellect of you, then please go elsewhere.

I'm trying to find more supporting or contradictory info and your saying I'm missing the point? I'm not being negative, cocky or whining. I am posting info that does not support the speculation. It's just like the thread about a leaked email from Ford. It suddenly became truth for a great many people. I have never said I think anyone here lacks intelligence. I don't think I'm the smartest person here. I have been wrong on a few occasions and I accept my limits. I'm sorry if you think my sarcasm is trying to make people look stupid. But it's not like I'm the only person who is sarcastic on this planet.

lol I'm glad I put it was purely speculation and wasn't founded on anything etc....but I see that doesn't keep some from freaking out.

SVT calm down Bubba it's just people speculating. I thought that of what little info I have heard thus far that was the most compeling bit right or wrong. I said in the other thread I think it's a mistake but it was said and hasn't been retracted so to keep things hopping I'm gonna talk about it.
Now to play devil's advocate I'll debate the validities of my speculation.

SVT: By missing the point, I meant instead of you replying with a "Hmmmm...I can see how that sentence would be misleading," you reply with "I found that on MSN not NAIAS website." You stated earlier that thinking the GT would be $20k was as wild as people who believed the production car would look like the concept. See...neither of these things are "wild" (or a disguised word for "stupid"), as Ford was misleading about the concept (saying it was 95% production or whatever) and the "both cars under $20k." I knew the production model wouldn't be the concept, and I think this $20k GT is a mistake, but I certainly understand the controversy by people on both subjects. I've been reading many posts by you for the past 3 weeks, and I respect your thoughts, but I've just noticed more :doh: :bang: than :D :nice: :banana: That's all.

Now back on topic...has Ford claimed or hinted at any pricing info. on the new GT, or is this confusing under $20k statement the first comment on any sort of pricing? Didn't they say the new Mustang prices would be comparable to the last generation?

Ok to start of the counter arguement was created that if there was a V6 and a 300 horsepower model for under 20k and only seperated by a 1000 bucks(which will be here for referred to as the LX I totally forgot about the LX Foxes of the 80s which adds some credibility to the statement as it would give proof of Ford doing such a thing in the past) that it would hurt V6 sales. Well I don't think it would impact V6 sales much due to the fact a lot of people who would buy the V6 Stang aren't intrested in power and would want to save the extra grand and the extra money on insurance. Now where this might steal a few sales from the V6 market is the guys who want the V8 power but can't afford a GT and still want to buy a Stang now think about this. In the past their only option was to go to the V6 and try to mod it up because at least they are still driving a Mustang. Now you'd be able to please those guys and make a little extra cash to boot as I doubt(again purely speculative backed up with a little common sense) it costs Ford 1k per engine to produce another 4.6 V8 to go into LX models.

Now the counter arguement sways to it would hurt GT sales.
And I would argue not really especially when you consider the vast differences in interior,creature comforts, and exterior would be so different a lot of guys would gladly pay an extra 5k for that upper level look and finish. Number one example of this...the Ford Crown Victoria and the Mercury Grand Marquis. I've had the pleasure of riding and driving both these cars from the same generation quite a lot(my mom had a 00 Crown Vic and traded it in on an 01 Marquis)the sticker prices on the cars where different but in the Grand Marquis she got a much nice interior but the performance was the same. There will still be people who will pay a premium for a superior interior and an image. Personally I'm not one of them. :)

Where would the market be for a 29k special edition Stang be? It would still be there. If Ford makes the Mach(designed for insane straight line speed) or the Boss (for great straight line speed and even better handling) it would still sale. Both those cars would likely have substantially more differences between the GT and the special edition. Likely a bigger engine better gearing better suspension IRS etc...basically the special editions would be tailored to a market and that market would eat them up and the LX and to be honest the GT would have little to do with those sales.
And finally it would cause the Cobra to move down in price. Well no it wouldn't considering Ford has already said they are going to aim the 06 Cobra at the Corvette and that they are moving the car upscale in the market. From my knowledge Ford never said they are positioning the pricing for the Cobra based on the rest of the Mustang line. While I'm sure they'll keep it "affordable". I doubt that a potential LX would cause the Cobra to some how drop in price by 5k bucks. Two totally different class of people would be buying the cars. The LX buyer would likely be younger(late teens 20s-early 30s),not as wealthy as a potential Cobra owner,would want to likely mod the hell out of the thing, and would beat on it relentlessly. The likely upscale Vette fighting Cobra owner would likely be much older(40s-50s), money to burn(as the car would likely be a good 4k-5k over the sticker of the current Cobra at least),not as prone to mod it highly or beat on it like an LX owner. Two totally different animals so the pricing on one wouldn't really affect the pricing on another especially if they are seperated by two other model levels.

Man that was a long post and again....I'm just playing devils advocate(I like a good debate).

Status
Not open for further replies.