The $20K V8 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

Executives say things for a reason. They are intelligent and the intentional "misspeak" of a sub $20,000 V-8 generates even more excitement and (GREAT) publicity. This post alone is one of the largest on this website and think about the other Mustang clubs, groups, web sites, friends/relatives that are speaking about this so-called $20,000 V-8. There is no such thing as bad publicity and if it comes to pass that the executive made a speech error, . . . . oh, well. All part of the master plan to sell cars.

yellow5.0cobra said:
I know whats going to happen, the options are going to ADD up REALLY quick, sooner than you know it, its a $26k car all over again.

Very ture. Sorry to keep bringing up Mopars but it's all I really know...when Plymouth introduced the Road Runner in 68 it was a true base trim model car with no frills--just the great drivetrain--and it was a HUGE hit for Plymouth--I think they sold 40,000. That low base price really brought people into the showrooms. Well, they sold even more in 1969--80,000--but by then most people were ordering their RRs with tons of options, so that ultimately there was little difference price-wise between a lot of Road Runners and the more deluxe GTX. Moral of the story? I think the low base price performance model is a win-win for everyone. A win for the guys who really DO want to save a buck and can maintain some control when it actually comes time to order the car, and a win for Ford who is gonna lure people in with the $19,999 price and then have people drive away in a $28k car.

Hello - longtime listener, first time caller...

Looks like Marketing 101 to me, the window is open to capture a TON of former, ready-to-buy Camaro/Firebird fans. This is the way to do it, grab all the market share you can while you're the only player in the market - you'll define it going forward. This is cheap technology to FOMOCO, and a repeat of 1964 1/2...

FWIW - I'm 44 and can't recall ANY car grabbing me the way this one has - it's strange to me - must be a mid-life crisis coming on - holycrap!

Dave C
98 BMW 540/6spd
94 Grand Cherokee Ltd
69 Hemi Roadrunner (owned since '77)

540sixgears said:
Hello - longtime listener, first time caller...

Looks like Marketing 101 to me, the window is open to capture a TON of former, ready-to-buy Camaro/Firebird fans. This is the way to do it, grab all the market share you can while you're the only player in the market - you'll define it going forward. This is cheap technology to FOMOCO, and a repeat of 1964 1/2...

FWIW - I'm 44 and can't recall ANY car grabbing me the way this one has - it's strange to me - must be a mid-life crisis coming on - holycrap!

Dave C
98 BMW 540/6spd
94 Grand Cherokee Ltd
69 Hemi Roadrunner (owned since '77)

Um, nice cars 540sixgears. :nice: And like you, this is the first new car in forever that has gotten my attention.

Here's something to think about - Fox3 LX 5.0's in good shape can bring almost as much as their new price today. Especially coupes. The Mustang holds its value better than any other vehicle in the modern Ford fleet, and while I also somehow doubt the availability of a stripped down discount V8 for '05, if one does exist I'll bet that used car prices will not be affected nearly as adversely as you might think.

Personally, I think 0% financing on new cars is a bigger threat to the used car market than a stripper V8 Mustang will be.

-Matthew

The Fox holds its value better because it's a 5.0. Same reason why the 94/95's are doing pretty good holding their value. But I've already seen plenty of 99+ GT's in the 10k and less price range. So yes, I think it could have an affect on the used market (no matter what the price turns out to be, really).

We already see that happening on a smaller scale with the '03 Cobra. Try to sell one used right now. Most people don't even try, because they owe more than you can buy them for brand new. So there is effectively NO used Cobra market right now to speak of. It's a stand-off between buyer & seller, thanks to Ford.

Dave

I've also never heard so many people on the internet say that they would sell their current Stang to get a <$20k V8 Mustang. Before we heard about the "$20K V8 Stang" there wasn't a ridiculous amount of excitement about buying a new one. I really think Ford could make a decent profit with this.

I bought my 99GT for less than 10k....Triple black 5speed...50k...loaded....I would give my left *** for an 05 stripper if the 20k holds true.....But like mentioned, I would lose my right *** on the market for my current car!!! Hmmm....anyone want a good deal on a 99??? hehehe :D

People don't have tons of money. They all want the Mustang to be reasonably priced. There was another thread in here last week about the affordability and prices of the new 2005 Mustang GT. Ford is doing the right thing to build two V8 Mustangs. One that's cheaper than the other will allow buyers who cannot afford the GT buy the lower priced V8 Mustang. It makes a lot of sense. And the ones who want to save even more money can always buy the V6 Mustang. Ford's marketing strategy will boost sales of the Mustang to over 200,000-300,000 units within the first and second year. That will be good for Ford and for all of us Mustang fanatics who want to own one.

WHO CARES? Let the prices go down on the 99-04 Mustangs. Eventually the prices will go up again just like the current prices of the late 80's and early 90's Mustangs. I am sure that you will be able to get a good deal when trading in your older Mustang for a new one. The new V8 Mustang will be priced for under $20,000 so everything will be relative. So don't worry about anything.

In addition to being Marketing 101, it is also Accounting 101. Somebody said that Ford is planning on ramping up production to 180k/year for 2005 (I have lost track of where I read that). They were already building 120k-130k/year and the Mustang is moving to a more efficient assembly plant. The overhead is basically covered by the first 120k-130k cars with the 60%-40% mix of v6 and v8 models, respectively. Each additional sale represents incremental profit and Ford can still make money because they do not have to distribute the fixed costs of production (assembly line equipment, plant facilities, etc.) to the additional cars. Each additional sale only incurs the variable costs of material and labor, but brings in a potential margin. If the <$20k v8 model is true, it would make economic sense. Granted, Ford may not make much profit on this model, but they could at least make some profit. It seems to be a win-win for Ford and Mustang addicts. Whether the strategy is financial, marketing or both, it appears to make sense.

MotorTrend says the GT base price will be about $26,900.

THis $20K V8 car seems too good to be true. If it is true, does that mean a 350HP Boss/Mach 1 will start at $23K???

I'm going to the Detroit autoshow thi weekend, I'll have to ask around and let you guys know what I find

If this is true, and I hope it is, it would be VERY good for ford. take myself for example. would I like to have an 05? yes. can I afford $25k for a GT? no way. would I want a v6? hell no, I'll just stick to my fox..v8 or nuthin baby. can I afford a $20k barebones v8 and slowly add whatever extra touches I want? probably. I can tell you that if there is a $20k v8, I'm gonna try like hell to get one....and I'm sure I'm not the only one out there that feels this way...quite a few 19-23 year olds I would assume

Z28x said:
MotorTrend says the GT base price will be about $26,900.

THis $20K V8 car seems too good to be true. If it is true, does that mean a 350HP Boss/Mach 1 will start at $23K???

I'm going to the Detroit autoshow thi weekend, I'll have to ask around and let you guys know what I find

Arggg, were not even talking about a GT package, just a body with a V8. And I tend to think that the 27K is kind of extreme, maybe for the convertible?
:shrug: The GT and LX of the Fox Body years had exactly the same engine, tranny, but just a different body. And that was a 6K difference, so maybe that could apply now. 20K for a LX V8, 26K for a GT. Have they even stated when they will release the prices?

If the LX is making a comeback expect to see no leather, interior tweaks like chrome and alumium in certain areas. Also the car might have the 17x8 wheels now that are on the GT. The car would definitely have A/C but no power windows or door locks. You might be able to sell this car in the $20K range.

Status
Not open for further replies.