The $20K V8 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
yellow5.0cobra said:
I know whats going to happen, the options are going to ADD up REALLY quick, sooner than you know it, its a $26k car all over again.

I know what you mean. We bought a 2001 F-250, and started putting options on it, such as leather seats, 6 cd changer, etc. We soon figured out that if we just opted for the Lariat package that included all of the options we wanted, the price was actually a little less. So yeah, a 20K base car could soon end up costing the same as a GT after some popular options, leather and the like. So maybe that is the plan behind Fords decision for a new "LX" if in fact something like this happens?

• Sponsors (?)

Ford's consumers care Ron. And the dealers trying to sell what's left of the remaining 04's. And saying wait for 10 years before you can get anything out of your cars is ridiculous. You won't get a gooddeal from a dealer when trying to trade in. Because they certainly aren't going to take a loss. You'll end up farther upside down in the new car.

pairofnines said:
I know what you mean. We bought a 2001 F-250, and started putting options on it, such as leather seats, 6 cd changer, etc. We soon figured out that if we just opted for the Lariat package that included all of the options we wanted, the price was actually a little less. So yeah, a 20K base car could soon end up costing the same as a GT after some popular options, leather and the like. So maybe that is the plan behind Fords decision for a new "LX" if in fact something like this happens?

car dealers do it all the time. advertise a brand new car for $9995 but don't tell you its stripped. then you want options, you're back up to normal price...they got you in the door and talking to a salesman. that's the goal. I don't think I'd be adding many options tho :)

SVTdriver said:
That's a good reason for people to want to believe they are going to do it. I'm just concerned that we have nothing else on this $20k V8 stang.
You are absolutely right we don't. However we have even less that says no it's not going to happen. The more days that go by without a Ford clarifacation allows more chances for more media outlets to make that statement. In a few days the magazines that will have covered the NAIAS will be going to print can in you imagine in a couple months the kind of damage control they'll have to do if it's not right. While I still doubt it will happen the longer Ford goes without saying no that was a mistake we won't be releasing a 20k 300hp Mustang makes me kind of wonder just a bit.

Now as to the Boss/Mach variants in the future as I said in that long post earlier I don't think it'll affect their cost.
They would be built to cater to a market. The Mach catering to maybe more straightline speed enthusiasts and the Boss catering to folks that want really good speed and extreme handling. The people in those little niches with the cash would likely gladly pay 29-30k for a car with excellent performance and a unique look. Just for arguements sake let's say Ford put the 03 Cobra motor(detuned a little) and made a unique styling to go along with it(I'm thinking vtyo2's photoshoped cars here) in a new Mach and they only were asking for 30k for it? I and many others would be there in a heart beat. The market is there and will remain there regardless of the cost of the GT or LX.

You don't see a possible LX model as a threat to any straightline special edition? I would argue that people would be less likely to buy it unless it had a truly unique engine. And maybe not even then. Because you could get the LX and modify it cheaper than a special edition.

pairofnines said:
Arggg, were not even talking about a GT package, just a body with a V8. And I tend to think that the 27K is kind of extreme, maybe for the convertible?
:shrug: The GT and LX of the Fox Body years had exactly the same engine, tranny, but just a different body. And that was a 6K difference, so maybe that could apply now. 20K for a LX V8, 26K for a GT. Have they even stated when they will release the prices?

No offense to anyone who bought a 87-93 GT, but I could never figure out why anyone would pay more for a car that was slower and heavier and (IMO) uglier.

SVTdriver said:
You don't see a possible LX model as a threat to any straightline special edition? I would argue that people would be less likely to buy it unless it had a truly unique engine. And maybe not even then. Because you could get the LX and modify it cheaper than a special edition.

no way. people that want a mach, want one cause its a mach. they're not gonna want to take a barebones v8 and hop it up a bit.

if everybody bought the cheap model and modded it, nobody would buy cobras

I wouldn't make my car look and act like a cobra and call it a cobra

SVTdriver said:
Actually no I don't. IF(very big if) it's done correctly. The upside for the straightline edition or "Mach" would have to be large. And a factory supercharged 4.6 would definately be the big upside. A lot of people just want a fast car out of the box without having to do a lot to mod it. I think part of the success with the current Cobra is owed to exactly that. Think about the mind set of a person that would buy it, "Well I don't want to mod it but I can still blow the doors off of 90% of whatever I come across on the roads and still have a warranty." The next person may want to mod it and a factory induction engine would give them an excellent platform to monkey with compared to the N/A 4.6 3v. By the time the LX model got supercharged or turbocharged, a better transmission,and a better suspension you might not be that far ahead on the savings. You definately wouldn't have a warranty and your car wouldn't have the better looks or interior of a Mach and by the time you did those things to make them equal or superior to a Mach I'd wager you'd likely not be cheaper anymore. Yeah...I think the Mach and an LX model could live hand and hand together. If I had the money and given the choice between the two entirely made up and imaginary cars I'd pick the Mach in a heartbeat. I'd have the power,the looks, and the factory support I want without the hassle of modding everything about the car. THEN if I wanted to mod the Mach I still could and I'd get even better results than the guy who has toiled for months on his LX. Works for me.

Quit dreaming guys, NO WAY will there be a V8 Mustang for $20K.

Take the sticker on whatever configuration of the 2004 Mustang you envision and then add $500 - $1,000 and you will have the sticker price of the equivalent 2005 Mustang.

There will be no effect because there will NOT be a $20K V8 Mustang!

As I said on the other topic, take the MSRP on any 2004 Mustang you would like to have. Then add $500 - $1,000 and you will have the sticker on your 2005 Mustang. BUT, keep in mind that demand will be strong for the 2005, there will not be rebates for at least a year, if not longer, and dealers will not be anxious to discount, so figure the street price on a 2005 will be $2,000 - $2,000 more than a 2004.

And I don't think anybody is arguing for a 20k fully loaded and optioned GT. We are talking about a barebones interior in a V6 body with a GTs drivetrain. That's possible. Likely maybe not but definately possible.

If the new 2005 Mustang GT is going to cost $26,900 like someone said in here, then it will be too expensive. I am saying this because the brand new 2004 GT has an MSRP of $23,980-$24,800. If Ford raises the price of the 2005 by $3,000-$4,000 that's too much of an increase. Ford should keep the price of the new 2005 Mustang to no more than $25,000. This is another reason why I am going to wait for 2 years until I buy another Mustang. Ford is going to RAPE everyone who wants to buy a new 2005 GT in the first year of production of this car.

After the first year, Ford will have to give better deals and rebates to sell the Mustang GT for less than the $26,900 that they are asking for it. I am hoping that the GT will be able to sell for $22,000-$23,000 with the rebates after the first year of production. Anything over that price is too expensive unless the car is a special production car like the Bullit, Mach1 or BOSS. Then I can see the price go up to $26,900. Just look at the current Mach1's for sale right now. Ford dealers up here in my area have quite a few of them sitting in their lots UNSOLD. And I am hearing that many Ford dealers are selling them for $23,000-$24,000 brand new just to get rid of them. This same thing will happen to the Mustang GT if its price is too high. Let's get real here. Ford has to price the GT reasonably. Not at $26,900. That's too expensive.

personally, I don't think ford will rape everybody...the dealers will. it would be in fords best interest to price the new gt at or below current pricing for the first year if they really want to take the market by storm. yes, they have no competitors right now so they will get sales no matter what. but why not take sales away from cars such as rx-8, 350z, subaru wrx, lanver evo, etc, while they're at it? makes sense to me

well if the $20k v8 is true (and I hope to hell it is), I have a feeling there will be a surge of used mustangs on the market. I don't think there will be any less people buying used, but since there will be more on the market, prices will go down. this is bad for people wanting an 05 cause they won't get as much for their current stang, but really good for the people that hate the 05's looks cause they will have their pick of the litter so to speak.

The V8 is NOT $20K...trust me.

I was there when the announcer messed up the presentation, he was an F150 presenter practicing on the Mustang in case of a problem, and he said "the new Mustang will start under $20K and with the new 300hp V8 available, its a great deal" That sent some press guys off with the wrong story. The pricing is $17k-$25K for V6, and $25k-$30k for V8... Trust me, I talked with J Mays himself.

Sorry for any dissapointment

Status
Not open for further replies.