The $20K V8 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

the words came out of j mays mouth,i don't know about a f-150 presenter but j mays in the mustang intro said "200 and 300HP engines,both for under 20K...",that's a big flub if it was a flub.also,the new car and driver quotes one of the main mustang guys,i forget his name,he came from mazda,as stating the mustang will be the best high performance sports car under 20K,now,as nice as the V6 is,it's not high performance.i still think we got a LX-type car coming.

Omegalock said:
Actually no I don't. IF(very big if) it's done correctly. The upside for the straightline edition or "Mach" would have to be large. And a factory supercharged 4.6 would definately be the big upside. A lot of people just want a fast car out of the box without having to do a lot to mod it. I think part of the success with the current Cobra is owed to exactly that. Think about the mind set of a person that would buy it, "Well I don't want to mod it but I can still blow the doors off of 90% of whatever I come across on the roads and still have a warranty." The next person may want to mod it and a factory induction engine would give them an excellent platform to monkey with compared to the N/A 4.6 3v. By the time the LX model got supercharged or turbocharged, a better transmission,and a better suspension you might not be that far ahead on the savings. You definately wouldn't have a warranty and your car wouldn't have the better looks or interior of a Mach and by the time you did those things to make them equal or superior to a Mach I'd wager you'd likely not be cheaper anymore. Yeah...I think the Mach and an LX model could live hand and hand together. If I had the money and given the choice between the two entirely made up and imaginary cars I'd pick the Mach in a heartbeat. I'd have the power,the looks, and the factory support I want without the hassle of modding everything about the car. THEN if I wanted to mod the Mach I still could and I'd get even better results than the guy who has toiled for months on his LX. Works for me.

I'm not trying to insult you. So don't take it as one. But do you ever meet people that own 03 cobra's? Up here in the pacific NW. I don't think I've seen a stock Cobra unless it was just off the dealers lot. I can't name even 1 of the 03 cobra owners that haven't modified them. And usually just after buying them. When I looked to buy one. The first thing I was interested in was what mods could be done without voiding the warrantee. The trick with it is an LX would probably weigh less. Due to lack of options. So the hp difference would have to be particularly high to over some. Without just dropping an S/C on the LX and beating the mach. And for the drag racers the mach would then be pointless.

Ford doesn't sell the mustang. The dealers do. The dealers are theones youhave to blame for raping you. Ford only gives them an MSRP. Which the dealer can ignore if they choose.

SVTdriver said:
I'm not trying to insult you. So don't take it as one. But do you ever meet people that own 03 cobra's? Up here in the pacific NW. I don't think I've seen a stock Cobra unless it was just off the dealers lot. I can't name even 1 of the 03 cobra owners that haven't modified them. And usually just after buying them. When I looked to buy one. The first thing I was interested in was what mods could be done without voiding the warrantee. The trick with it is an LX would probably weigh less. Due to lack of options. So the hp difference would have to be particularly high to over some. Without just dropping an S/C on the LX and beating the mach. And for the drag racers the mach would then be pointless.

Ford doesn't sell the mustang. The dealers do. The dealers are theones youhave to blame for raping you. Ford only gives them an MSRP. Which the dealer can ignore if they choose.
Actually yes I do I know a guy with a silver one who has yet to do anything to it and I know another gentleman(2nd cousin in Houston) who is planning on buying one and when we talked about it he says he doesn't plan on modding it(04 Cobra) until after it's paid off.

You also aren't taking a couple things into consideration i.e. improved suspension better gearing that the Mach would likely receive over the LX. Again things that could be handled if you were inclined but there are more folks than you think that just want a fast out of the box car. Will the diehard drag racers go for the LX? Possibly. Will that kill the market for a Mach? Nah especially considering that a lot of guys want a nice street/strip machine. And also the fact that if the Mach did get the 03 Cobra engine it's a known quantity that a lot of guys wanted but couldn't get. It's got an already existant aftermarket that grows daily. Factory forced induction with an engine that takes tons of boost and begs for more IMO is better than having to dive into the engine, replace pistons to lower compression, upgrade fuel systems, make sure you aren't runing too much boost,etc. Some like to do it themselves but if I can get a jumpstart from the factory I'll take it. Give me a car that will run high 12s stock all day and has a comfy ride full A/C heat etc for 29 grand anyday.

sondesign said:
I was there when the announcer messed up the presentation, he was an F150 presenter practicing on the Mustang in case of a problem, and he said "the new Mustang will start under $20K and with the new 300hp V8 available, its a great deal" That sent some press guys off with the wrong story. The pricing is $17k-$25K for V6, and $25k-$30k for V8... Trust me, I talked with J Mays himself.

Sorry for any dissapointment

Might I direct your attention to this video when J. Mays himself said the V6 and V8 would be under $20,000 54 seconds into the video.

http://www.warnerrobert.com/videos/mustang.WMV

tylers65 said:
Might I direct your attention to this video when J. Mays himself said the V6 and V8 would be under $20,000 54 seconds into the video.

http://www.warnerrobert.com/videos/mustang.WMV

Woot Woot!! Get after it tyler!!

All kidding aside, I still say that if J. Mays had messed up the presentation in that video, then Ford would probably send out a correction statement of some sort. But I have to admit, if it's a flub, it's one of the biggest flubs in Ford's history.

I'm still trying to figure out why you are all talking about a Mach when Ford already said it would not be produced after 2004. They never did say they were not going to build an LX V8. So why keep waving th Mach flag around?

Just curious...

personally I think an LX car won't hurt any sales. it'll only add more. what's someone gonna do if they can't afford a gt but they don't want a v6? buy something else or stay with what they have. i think I said this before, but this only makes the point that much more.

and seriously. do you EVER hear someone say, "Well I a mach1 or a cobra and I can afford it, but I'm just gonna get this GT and mod it to be a mach1/cobra" ??? NEVER EVER NEVER EVER EVER EVER. the people that want mach1's will get mach1's, the people that can't afford a mach1 or don't want one (why they wouldn't I don't know) won't get one. its that simple

Maybe up here the people are different. But of the 7 or 8 03 Cobra's up here. I can't think of even 1 that is not modded. Which is why I think the LX would cut into most other models sales. $9k buys a lot of stuff that won't come on an LX. I agree you can start with more. But at least for serious racer. Most of them would rather set up their own suspesion. And other than IRS I'm not sure you'll get much difference in suspensions. You could change springs but Ford isn't known for putting much in terms of actual suspension improvements. I believe the bullit only got lowered springs. I think the mach got the same. And I still see the current mach's on the showroom floor. The dealer closest to me has 3 sitting there.

I don't know why a mach got brought up. But it did so that's why the debate has been including that. As far as them never saying the were not going to build an LX. But they also never said they were. And they haven't offered an LX type car in about 10 years.

HairyCanary said:
Except for exhaust, I think Duner's is bone stock :p.

Dave
Ok that's an arguable 1 bonestock Cobra. But look at Jordan, Dataangel, I can't remember the name of the guy with the Kenne bell. And I'm forgeting some others right now. But some are only meeting at Burgermaster.

tylers65 said:
I'm still trying to figure out why you are all talking about a Mach when Ford already said it would not be produced after 2004. They never did say they were not going to build an LX V8. So why keep waving th Mach flag around?

Just curious...

ok substitute mach with boss or bullit or some other cool special edition they might make. same deal

btw, anybody happen to know the sticker prices for a 4cyl, 5.0 LX, and a GT for the same year of foxes? would be interesting..I heard $10k for LX and $16k for gt, but what about the 4 cyl (or v6 if it was produced that year)

Status
Not open for further replies.