The $20K V8 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
SVTdriver said:
I don't know why a mach got brought up. But it did so that's why the debate has been including that. As far as them never saying the were not going to build an LX. But they also never said they were. And they haven't offered an LX type car in about 10 years.

TECHNICALLY......

The V6 is called "LX" by Ford now. :D

But you are correct, 1993 was the last year of a V8 model LX. But the Mach was MIA for 3 Decades. I had read somewhere that Ford would not be bringing back the BOSS name. But do not take it for the gospel or anything, I usually try to state something like that with 100% assurance from some form of written text of which I have none. I am simply going from memory here.

That being said, the V8 LX could very well see the light of day again.

• Sponsors (?)

I agree the V8 LX could could see the light of day again. But so far the only thing in it's favor is a statement made at NAIAS. Nothing on Ford's website. Where you might think they would be hyping it. And nothing in print or on stangnet or corral or mustangworld. And wasn't the mach brought back because the bullit was a success. And they needed another special edition instead of another year of bullit? I'm not sure on that. But I thought I might have read it somewhere.

tylers65 said:
TECHNICALLY......

The V6 is called "LX" by Ford now. :D

But you are correct, 1993 was the last year of a V8 model LX. But the Mach was MIA for 3 Decades. I had read somewhere that Ford would not be bringing back the BOSS name. But do not take it for the gospel or anything, I usually try to state something like that with 100% assurance from some form of written text of which I have none. I am simply going from memory here.

That being said, the V8 LX could very well see the light of day again.

and we all hope it does :) I'm sure it won't be called an LX though. Here's a question though:

05MUST44.jpg

does that mean we get dinky turndowns on our two mufflers or what? I wouldn't think we would get the GT bumper cutouts

SVTdriver said:
I agree the V8 LX could could see the light of day again. But so far the only thing in it's favor is a statement made at NAIAS. Nothing on Ford's website. Where you might think they would be hyping it. And nothing in print or on stangnet or corral or mustangworld. And wasn't the mach brought back because the bullit was a success. And they needed another special edition instead of another year of bullit? I'm not sure on that. But I thought I might have read it somewhere.

well ford isn't giving us much info I think. we know that we'll get something for under 20 grand..sounds like a v8, but who knows. guess we'll find out when preorder time comes around...isn't that in like march or something?

well I haven't seen a correction from ford and the fact that mays even emphasized the word "both," that makes me happy.

sondesign, what exactly did you ask Mays about the $20k v8, and what exactly did he say? it all varies on the wording. if you ask about a $20k GT, of course he'll say no :)

SVTdriver said:

If it is true I doubt they'll hype it for a while. They still have a lot of 04 GTs to sell.

SVTdriver said:

In another thread, there was talk about a "Light Weight" Mustang. Perhaps they would briing back the LX nameplate as a special edition. Remember, the 60's Mustangs were available with a V8 in any trim level, mine was a plain jane C-code. It had absolutely NO options except a V8. It could be considered the earliest version of an LX.

To be able to order a bare bones car from the factory with a V8 again would be considered special to a lot of folks, just reading this thread I can see several who are extremely interested. Several of them were not really interested in buying a 2005 until the word got out that a V* could be had in a V6 body for a little more than a V6 price. It would not hurt sales of the V6 much at all. Considering that in 1965, one of the most popular cars was a I-6 even though the 200HP V8 cost $105.63 to add as an option.

From the Mustang Red Book 3rd edition..
1965 Mustang Hard Top W/Standard interior (65A) = $2320.96
200HP 289 V-8 extra charge over 120HP 6 cyl (C) = $105.63
For a Grand Total of 2426.59

Those were the days! :nice:

It simply makes no sense for Ford to bring out a V8 Mustang for under $20K in 2005. They do not need to do something like this for years. Demand in 2005 will be high for the new Mustang. Demand in 2006 will be high as well and the new Cobra and convertible will come out to add excitement and volume. It won't be until 2007 at the very earliest that Ford will feel a need to start tinkering with the Mustang to increase sales and interest.

Ford invested a lot of R&D and tooling into the new 2005 Mustang. They simply cannot afford to bring out the new car at the price the current V8 GTs are being discounted to. The current model has all its production tooling completely depreciated and paid for with no real R&D being charged to it for changes since 1999. The new Mustang needs to pay all these things off over the first few years. I'm guessing 5 years is the accounting norm for new car tooling.

Ford is making the new Mustang at the same plant that is making the Mazda 6. They do not need (and probably cannot without capacity problems) to sell 300,000 of the new Mustangs to keep the plant at full capacity. They estimated something like 150,000 to 180,000 units the first year. They don't need a $20K V8 to make this volume number. Demand will invariably drop to a normal level of 120,000 to 150,000 cars per year after the newness of the new car wears off and they will have the Mazda 6 volume to keep the plant humming and cost efficient.

Anyone who thinks $26K for a 300 HP V8 car on a new platform is too much has not shopped around recently. Nothing else on the market will beat the Mustang on the bang for the buck scale. Nothing.

Lastly, a $20K V8 Mustang starts the new Mustang off on the wrong foot. It makes Ford look desparate to sell this new car when the competitors are selling 4 cylinder FWD cars with a measly 180 HP for $22K. Ford wants to move the Mustang up market a bit, not start it off as a car immediately seen as cheap and discounted.

As much as it we would all like a $20K V8, it simple makes no sense.

All that being said, I hope Ford brings out a V8 powered Mustang for under $20K! :D

Mark

come to think of it a 20k stripped down bare bones v8 machine makes sense. It's direct response to the Neon SRT-4. Which in my opinion holds the price to performance crown right now. (not that I would buy it though)

SVTdriver said:
Yes that was a great time for mustangs. That was however 1965 dollars. And that prcie difference would more likely be a minimum of $1k.

Which is exactly my point. If $100 in 1965 could buy a V-8 in a strpper car, than surely $1000 could do it today.

HairyCanary said:
Also, I believe etgt03 is damn near bone stock... :banana:

Back to the topic :D
Doesn't he have exhaust? Which really is an improvement on the 03's. At least I think we were listening to his exhaust last time I was down there. I know it's nitpicking a little. But if we say that an exhaust change = bonestock. Then we could argue a lot of other parts as being bonestock as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.