The 93 Cobra Clone Build Project

Just got the '86 home. Can't believe the only rust is under doors.

Attachments

• KIMG0162.jpg
    KIMG0162.jpg
    460.7 KB · Views: 250
Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Everything was going great until I heard a pop removing the extension housing bushing. I removed 3 of the 4 bolts in anticipation of replacing the throughout bearing retainer first. I didn't. If case leaks I get to do a transmission rebuild. Very small crack about input shaft.

Picture of my drunken LMR shopping spree a month ago. New headers being installed.

That Milwaukee battery ratchet is the second best tool I've ever bought next to a roofing nail gun

top left bolt has crack.

Attachments

• KIMG0164.jpg
    KIMG0164.jpg
    620.9 KB · Views: 238
  • KIMG0172.jpg
    KIMG0172.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 213
  • KIMG0173.jpg
    KIMG0173.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 225
  • KIMG0175.jpg
    KIMG0175.jpg
    511.6 KB · Views: 239
  • KIMG0176.jpg
    KIMG0176.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 233
Reactions: 1 user
That really sucks !

The case is under some decent pressure right there. The gear assemblies push towards the drivers side when spinning. Hope it stays together.

I'm sure you could find a case pretty cheap and transfer parts over.

I can't see the transmission case crack causing any problems. it's on the front top and surrounded by bolts. Everything is back together, shifts and runs mint. Have a spare case if it blows.

Started the suspension tonight. Just found out the hard way not to paint threads with POR15. Had to grind notches in the polished steel for the vice grips to grab, no matter how big the breaker bar, the vice grips let go. I even vice gripped the vice grips, still would just spin the shaft. Ended up torching the nut until the bushing caught fire then shocked it off with 5lb hammer. Wtf! I thought the nut and bushing washer was one piece like a washer attached nut, I would have just cut the fn nut off. Other bolt is painted also, just cutting that one off :baby:

After suspension is done I'm done with preventive maintenance and all the ocd repairs. Once the snow flies it's on to the body work and clone kit :cheers:

Reactions: 2 users
Por15 is a total pita to deal with if you get it anywhere you don't want. However great protection.

I did mine underside and axle 7 years ago. Still looks great and any dust wipes right off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
All I wanted to do was swap the springs and shocks..now the spindle and control arm are sitting on my work bench. what is the rod called that connects the two? has a sleeve rusted to it, won't come off. has rubber bushings at both ends in both sides of the metal. The hole in control arm is quite big for such a small hole, wait what? Is that normal?

Your ball joint connects the spindle to the swing arm, but I dont know what sleeve you would be talking about. Nor do I get what you mean by bushings at both ends. That sounds like you are talking about your sway bar end link.

Your ball joint connects the spindle to the swing arm, but I dont know what sleeve you would be talking about. Nor do I get what you mean by bushings at both ends. That sounds like you are talking about your sway bar end link.
It took too much effort to lean over and look earlier. yes, it's from ca to sway bar. after four hours of heating and beating it's pretty much fubar. I've been beating the front control arm bolt for a good four hours, finally broke loose. Now it's on the bench and this sleeve is frozen. giving up early on this sleeve, it's seized, so I'd like to have spare before sawzall is called in.

Here is my buddy stuck drinking beers just watching me, felt bad and started removing ca grommets for me

Attachments

• KIMG0185.jpg
    KIMG0185.jpg
    572.3 KB · Views: 196
  • KIMG0186.jpg
    KIMG0186.jpg
    678.2 KB · Views: 211
It took too much effort to lean over and look earlier. yes, it's from ca to sway bar. after four hours of heating and beating it's pretty much fubar. I've been beating the front control arm bolt for a good four hours, finally broke loose. Now it's on the bench and this sleeve is frozen. giving up early on this sleeve, it's seized, so I'd like to have spare before sawzall is called in.

Here is my buddy stuck drinking beers just watching me, felt bad and started removing ca grommets for me
New control arm bushings are a good thing, you should consider doing eurethane. The sway bar connecting link and bushings should be replaced anyhow. You'll be happy with the results.

It took too much effort to lean over and look earlier. yes, it's from ca to sway bar. after four hours of heating and beating it's pretty much fubar. I've been beating the front control arm bolt for a good four hours, finally broke loose. Now it's on the bench looking all :taco:ty and this sleeve is frozen. giving up early on this sleeve, it's seized, so I'd like to have spare before sawzall is called in.

Sawsall away- swaybar end links are cheap and easy to get at the parts houses. Online etc..
IMG_1208.PNG

Last edited:
The amount of crud on the spindles and that the u joint is from a 4cylinder drive shaft has me believing everything is from the 4 cylinder. I was hoping to put 3.77 in someday with the 5 lug conversion. How do I tell which rear axle is in this car? I will probably answer the question when remove all the bushings this weekend. The front end was definitely from the 4 cylinder, those bolts have never been removed. Kid said he swapped rear end, starting to doubt that.

No connections for temperature control lighting, made my own. Mickey Mouse has arrived.

Only getting codes 10 & 11 now, all electrical is fixed, or identified the faults, all lights work. I'm throwing in the towel on the idiot lights issue unless someone with more experience knows what's going on. I'm guessing with three different cars put together this will be a problem, more time than I want to spend chasing it. I usually know when something is wrong long before light comes in anyway, jinxed now. Just waiting on parts.
Haha, I actually found the connector buried in the dash doing something else. My ocd won't let me forget it, or the one bulb I missed behind speedometer.

I'm sure I'll laugh about it later, probably not. Who knew there were two different size bushings? Not me. Pressed the big one in the small end.:nonono:

All is well now. Cleaned and painted.

Attachments

• KIMG0189.jpg
    KIMG0189.jpg
    639.2 KB · Views: 178
Maybe I missed it someone in the five pages, but why not buy the real thing?
Me: Look at this 93 cobra I found on craigslist. I didn't have to do anything to it, just turn the key and drive it.
My buddy: cool
Or...
Me: Look at this worn out 93 hatchback I completely disassembled, cleaned and repaired, reassembled with oem cobra parts, primed and painted by myself in my garage to look just like it came off the factory floor.

That's why

Me: Look at this 93 cobra I found on craigslist. I didn't have to do anything to it, just turn the key and drive it.
Or...
Me: Look at this worn out 93 hatchback I completely disassembled, cleaned and repaired, reassembled with oem cobra parts, primed and painted by myself in my garage to look just like it came off the factory floor.

That's why
There's a whole collection of people here that would rather do it the hard way, myself included. Good job.

Reactions: 3 users
Or...

That's why

Yep.. give a man a fish or give a man a fishing pole. Most of us prefer to build it then buy it. That is part of the fun ( and headaches) but nonetheless it is much different to say I built it than I bought it.