The Awesomeness Of Forced Induction

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
I know this will get locked,...I dont care.

Last friday, I'm going down town to meet my wife for drinks in my car, and I'm following a 650 BMW w/ a plate that reads NVMY650. (which I don't) He's doing about 70 when I pull up behind him on the I-state. He must've ck'd his rearview, because he immediately steps it up to 80, (which I correct for commensurately). It's kinda busy traffic-wise, and we're dancing w/ each other, going along at 80, when all of the sudden a 300 series Mercedes decides to join in. Now it's me and the two UUMlauts, going down the freeway, bobbing and weaving for about 8 miles, The object of the game, not to see how fast we can go, but evidently just to maintain 20 mph over the current flow of traffic. Each of us getting shut down by somebody dutifully obeying the speed limit, so each car took it's turn out in front. We'd been barreling along for a little while when an 03' Cobra makes it's way up an entrance ramp, and decides to add himself to the party.

The BMW and "The Mustang" parley'd in front of me for about a mile, w/ me right behind the Cobra. The Beemer gets blocked and traffic opens in front of the Cobra when he makes his break, he steps on it, I drop my car into 4th and do the same.

It was like I stepped on the brakes. Well,.....I might as well have.

It was amazing to me, My speedo was pegged, and that Cobra was pulling away so fast that I was literally slack jawed at the spectacle. He had to be going 30-50 MPH faster than me, as he dissapeared up the interstate. Both of the Heimlich maneuvers were trapped behind other cars in their lanes. Clearly the Cobra didn't get the memo that the object of tonight's game wasn't to break the sound barrier.

I slowed, back to a sane speed, while the two weinerschnitzles caught up and proceeded to try and catch him.

I got off my exit and thought to myself,....."So that's why you put twin turbochargers on a car".
:scratch:

Now I don't know whether or not the Cobra had 1 S/C or1 or 2 T/C's, All I know for sure was that it had way more power than my piddly little 300 HP SOHC had.:nonono:

On one hand, I was envious of that power, ........on another, thankful that I wasn't able to keep up w/ a car that had to be going 150plus MPH in Friday night traffic.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't think i've ran across any forced induction cars on the street. Probably the highest HP car i've ran into was a Challenger SRT8 but we didn't have any room to really do much, but for what we had i was pulling him hard. We make about the same power but i had him by weight by a solid 1000lbs.

I don't think i've ran across any forced induction cars on the street. Probably the highest HP car i've ran into was a Challenger SRT8 but we didn't have any room to really do much, but for what we had i was pulling him hard. We make about the same power but i had him by weight by a solid 1000lbs.

Yeah unless it wasnt stock..LOL...90% that i know of arent.,..My friend has a 2006 charger SRT-8 looks bone stock..well except for the 10 point cage he runs this is his link from the forum he is on...Mine looks bone stock im puttind down close to 500 rwhp..no one would think twice oh look its a old school mustang convertible...Ahhhh it has nothing...hee hee :rlaugh:

FlyByU
2006 DODGE Charger
6.15 @ 113.00 MPH
9.64 @ 137.85 MPH

I have a friend that owns an 03 Cobra with a Kennebell Mammoth 2.8 on it. It makes 702 to the tires.
Last time I rode in that car I nearly lost consciousness. Lol

Reactions: 1 user
Many moons ago when I was in highschool, a friend and I were cruising in my car with the windows down. We were in one of those parts of Houston where you tend to find fast cars lurking about. Anyway, we get the undeniable smell of high octane exhaust coming into the car from someone in the line of traffic ahead, so I decide to figure out who.

After weaving through traffic for a few minutes, we come upon a Lancer Evo. About this time, you expect to find some punk kid driving and his buddy with a video camera yelling obscenities out the passenger side. Oh, no no. Its one of those Boyd Coddington look alikes - you know, hat, glasses, trimmed beard and Hawaiin shirt, probably close to retirement.

WTF is that in his passenger seat? Oh, its just his MINIATURE POODLE with a PINK BOW on its head. His windows are also down, the dog is on the sill enjoying the car ride.

Me "HEY! Its that you running race gas?"

Him <smiles>

So we come to a stop light. I wasn't sure what he was going to do at green, but I was planning on giving it all I had (which at this point wasn't much more than 275 hp)

Light goes green.

All I can remember vividly is watching that poor poodle getting slammed against the seat back like a bird flying into a window. I mean it was violent. But that was all I saw, because next thing I know, he's half a mile down the road and I'm still crossing the intersection.

Might I amend the title to the awesomeness of forced induction coupled with AWD?

Speaking of Cobras, I saw a Mystic 03/04 today at an all Fords car show in Des Moines. Didnt ask him which year it was, but I overheard him say they only made 1001 of them or something like that. It was a sweet looking car. Then I saw an all black Cobra, and almost regretted buying my '11. Guess I might just have to put a Kenne Bell on it down the road.

Speaking of Cobras, I saw a Mystic 03/04 today at an all Fords car show in Des Moines. Didnt ask him which year it was, but I overheard him say they only made 1001 of them or something like that. It was a sweet looking car. Then I saw an all black Cobra, and almost regretted buying my '11. Guess I might just have to put a Kenne Bell on it down the road.
Please do.

Where was this car show? I am in Des Moines and had no idea about it. :(

I was busy working on my junk anyways though...

Nice story(s)...I've never encountered anything quite like that..not that my V6 would be able to handle it. I'm too afraid of cops to try anything. I have 0 tickets as of now

I Like boost. Granted I'm very limited with my pushrod 302. But my plan is to surpass the 400rwhp barrier and I'm only an injector upgrade away from that.

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooost!

I'm thinking my car will get a Vortech this year... I'm ready for the silliness.
XB105 or bust!

as for the cobras...
back when i had my lightning i saw a "stock" 03 cobra or what i thought to be a stock 03 because it had the stock cat back on it. i figured easy pray for the truck... boy was i shocked when he dropped a gear and i heard the well known whine of a :leghump:in WHIPPLE! needless to say i got WALKED!