The Car Cover Thread - What You Got?

• Sponsors (?)

Well, between driving it, getting it dirty, snow, getting is dirty some more, and driving it, I've just now gotten the cover on.

cover1.jpg

cover2.jpg

cover3.jpg

As you can see if fits pretty well. It's more of a custom fit than I was expecting, actually.

There are straps front and back to tie cover around the bumpers. Plastic fas-tech clips with an adjusting strap. The lining on the inside looks and feels nice. It doesn't look like it can scratch the finish but it's also what folks had complained about deterioration. More on that as it wears, I suppose.

I'm expecting snow, sleet, and rain over the next few days so I'll let you know how water-proof etc. it is. It does appear to be a breathable material and not the rubber on one-side variety you see with the silvery type of covers.

There are eyelets in the center on each side for adding a center strap if you like.

I should probably mention that there doesn't appear to be a front or back. There are no marks so I just put the straps on the ends.

Reactions: 1 user
I've heard that if you put a cover on a dirty car it will scratch the heck out of it. You don't want any heck on your car anyway, right? :)

Yep... Winter and all the road salt that goes along with it, is what took me so long to get the cover on.

We had two sunny days so the cover is off again. heh

Another reason for keeping the car clean is the cover will pick up crap off the rockers, tires, etc and keep them there until you either drag it off the car in a hurry or drag it onto the car next time you put it on an scar it. Ask me how I learned that...

I have a California Car Cover...it's quite nice; I've only used it twice in the 13 years I've had it but I may start using it more here soon. So it's holding up rather well, I like the protection it offers, and the only thing I'd change is to add a provision for the vehicle's antenna somehow. As it is now, I have to take the antenna mast off for the cover to go over the car.

Most car covers come with a grommet kit. Looks like a paper ass-hole and has a sticky side. You stick one paper ass-hole on inside and outside of where you want the hole and then poke it.

Reactions: 1 users
About 15 years ago, I bought a nice outdoor fitted cover. Lasted about 10 years or so. It was cut for an 87-93 Saleen, so it had the right feature for my Saleen spoiler I had on at the time

Recently, my car is garage kept, but I wanted a cover to keep dust off it. I have a loose cover (posted earlier in thread) but would like to find an indoor fitted cover for an LX.

I should get one again. Believe I had a 3 layer last time and it held up pretty well till I decided to wash it. That was a bad idea. Got all fuzzy. It was dirty. You guys ever have that problem? Any ideas how to wash a car cover when it gets dirty? Maybe it was due to putting it in a dryer. I forget but think that's what I did.

Well, the car cover has been through a number of spring/summer storms so far.

No issues as of yet. My daughter has been using it on her CTS4. She's got a rain leak somewhere that we're having trouble chasing down so we've been using the cover for hers.

No leaks in the car with the cover on. :shrug: Go figure.

I should get one again. Believe I had a 3 layer last time and it held up pretty well till I decided to wash it. That was a bad idea. Got all fuzzy. It was dirty. You guys ever have that problem? Any ideas how to wash a car cover when it gets dirty? Maybe it was due to putting it in a dryer. I forget but think that's what I did.

Garden hose. You don't wash a dry a car cover man. :doh:

Hey folks. I just ordered a car cover for a $145 that I nearly paid $280 for a week ago.

They have nothing to do with me or Stangnet. I just thought it was a good deal.

They're at 50% off until midnight so I'm passing it along.

www.carautocovers.com

I just picked up one of their 5 layer covers for the new DD.

I will likely kill this thread once the sale expires.

p.s. I don't actually know if it's a good cover or not. I'll let ya know what I think when it arrives.

Edit: Thread title change and questions: What covers do you all have? How old is it and how is it holding up? What would you change?

So, I just ordered another one of these. My daughter stole mine for her CTS-4. :notnice:

So far, so good. She's got a pillar drain leaking so covers hers just about every day. The inside has stayed soft and the outside stayed tough.

Well. good enough that I bought another.

Reactions: 2 users