RANT!!! The circle of life..The car guy version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definently type A but will never sell the Mustang EVER. Love working on it, but wish I was driving it when I'm elbow deep in a big project. Have I felt overwhelmed during a project, yes at times. But on the other hand want to be working on it when I'm driving it. It's a sick disease! I have taken everyone's advise and since buying the car in 2009 there has not been a year I have not driven the car. What that means is any project gets done in a timely manner or off season for us northerners. It also means that my projects are just big enough to keep me busy for a month or to not years.
Scott

• Sponsors (?)

Ya, pretty much how it goes i assume. I dont want or need over 300hp. Well need, i want it sure. But im guessing as a drift car with high hp, just shreds tires and makes it too expensive for me to do it. So it aint going to happen. It is 30 yrs old, so i dont mind replacing everything over time with fresh stuff. but the HP aint going no where. Until i get nitrous. Ok fine, im in trouble. lol.

I've had my car for 20 years now. I don't think I would be able to sell it at this point. I do regret the number of race car parts I have put on it that make it less functional to drive comfortably. I mean stupid stuff, like putting a 7qt oil pan on it because "7qts is more!." Now the oil pan hangs below the K-member, and I have to be much more aware of potential hazards that will bang the oil pan up into the pickup tube. That's just one example. Now I preach about keeping your street car a street car.

Kurt

I've always enjoyed working on my own cars. I usually have something around that I can mess with. The old 65 that has been in the family now since the early 90s is where I've spent most of my time satisfying the old car itch. I'm glad I've got the fox now as I relate to it like my dad did to the 65. I say I'll never sell the fox but we'll see. If it makes it long enough and my son starts showing an interest in working on it with dad then it wont go anywhere. Every time I dont have something at hand to work on all I can do is think about how much fun it would be to have a "hobby" car. It's a disease I guess.

I have a problem, I need to tear into the engine on the exxon valdez and fix some annoying things but I hate not having it driveable to rip over to the shop or downtown, I'm contemplating getting the cobra intake running so I have something fun to drive while the exxon valdez is down. :thinking:

Reactions: 1 user
Hello my name is Steve and I have a car problem... I dont have enough money or time...

I have the same sickness Mike does.... I cant just buy something that will work, I HAVE TO MAKE IT MYSELF... the custom blower thing was a nightmare.

I uhh stick to my laptop mostly these days.

• Clever
I have a problem, I need to tear into the engine on the exxon valdez and fix some annoying things but I hate not having it driveable to rip over to the shop or downtown, I'm contemplating getting the cobra intake running so I have something fun to drive while the exxon valdez is down. :thinking:

stop thinking ..... do it!

I have similar issues. From HS through age 30 have time, no money. From 30+ have money, no time. Paying a shop just doesn't sound like fun so the car sits. Maybe gets 200-300 miles per year on it to run through a tank of gas. I'm hopeful I'm about 2 years away from the kids being old enough they either a. do their own thing while dad does car stuff in the garage or b. helps dad. Either way it gets their mother off my back to help with the kids. I hope.

I'm a type A guy and have learned many lessons the hard way, lost tons on the project cars I've had, but had fun along the way and learned a heck of a lot.

There's something to be said for that. I bought this 87 GT as a throwback to my youth and 20s. It's been fun so far but man it's harder to do the work I did back then, now.

I'm keeping this one mostly stock. I'm even considering just a stock rebuild at some point. At this stage in my life I like a more comfortable ride and good idle quality. Typically, the more you change from stock the less reliable things become. So I'm really thinking about keeping this one mild and enjoying driving it. Maybe some 3.55 or 3.73 gears just for fun and because this car will not be a highway cruiser.

I always put 3.73s in my fox bodies years ago and they sure do make the car fun to drive.

Just my .02.

Status
Not open for further replies.