The "Cobra Clunk"? Looking for some insight for a very different application...

hyperion

Jun 4, 2004
Hi everyone,

I'm not a regular on the forums but I thought I'd ask a question that has to do with the '03 Cobra IRS. I (and several others) use this IRS in our cars and have had problems with drive line noise; specifically there is a noticeable "clunk" when you are in gear and you either tip into or out of the throttle.

Here's some pictures of how the IRS is mounted in the rear subframe:

IMG_1337-1.jpg IMG_1336-1.jpg IMG_1339-1.jpg IMG_1326-1.jpg

In this setup I'm using Steeda poly bushings on the nose of the diff. The rear mounts are also poly. The subframe is bolted directly to the uniboy.

I've heard some rumors about stock '03 Cobras having issues with noise coming from the rear end, but I've never seen this firsthand. I was hoping that by posting this I might get some comments from people who have either had and fixed the issue, or to convince myself that the sound has nothing to do with the Cobra diff itself.

I really appreciate any light you can shed on this challenge. The clunk is not a mild thing--when it happens, passengers look to the back of the car like something has gone wrong.

Just to head off some questions that might come up:

• Everything is tightened down
  • The rest of the drive line (trans, drive shaft, etc) is new or recently rebuilt
  • There are other cars with similar setups that have the same clunking problem

Thanks in advance!

-ch

• Sponsors (?)

Not too helpful but I know it's a bushing I just can't remember which one. My friend replaced it in his car and it went away and only cost like $100, if I can remember what it is I'll let you know, try svtperformance they might be more helpful with cobra questions.