The Dreaded Drone

vegeta-racer

Jun 10, 2007
So I am looking for some advice on what exhaust systems out there don't drone.
I am currently using the Magnaflow Magnapacks and they are loud, aggressive and full of the dreaded drone really bad.

Hopefully I can find an exhaust that will sound powerful and deep when I get on the gas but can be mellow when cruising at 40mph in traffic.

Does any body know what exhaust system is on the GT500 or other Shelby's?

07 Vista Blue Gt, C&L street cai/Bama-Chip, Magnapack 3"cat back

• Sponsors (?)

All mufflers drone a little on these cars. Even stock ones. It's a V8. That said, I got no more drone with Pypes Violators than I did with the stock mufflers. Very easy on the ears inside. But very muscular outside. Borla/FRPP stingers have quite a bit of drone. I believe Corsas are pretty drone-free also.

single Flow for V6

I've got that single Flowmaster that's espec. made for the '05-'09 'stang V6 and does it ever drone, on acceleration, with light throttle at about 18-2400 rpm. Doesn't drone a bit under heavy throttle, but moderate to light, it really does at about this rpm.
:(

drone is really a consequence of the cabin more than the muffler. Certain mufflers can enhance the problem more than others. A muffler like a corsa simply cancles out the resonant freq of the cabin, i.e., is completely quite at a certain rpm range. That is not a good solution in my book, because its like having a silent engine. Rather than trying to find a muffler that does not drone, you can fix your cabin by adding dynamat to any interior panels that might vibrate. Namely, the footwells, but anywhere you can put it will help.

One piece of advice that I have for you is to replace the stock H-pipe with an X-pipe if you want to reduce drone. You already have a magnaflow exhaust installed so find the matching magnaflow x-pipe and you should be on your way to a mellower (and quieter if you get a catted unit) setup.

Are they new? So far the people I talked that had catted midpipes told me they made their car quieter or just changed the tone a bit.

You got a soundclip of your car I have been pondering a catted prochamber?

I have one but it's not the best quality. It was taken with a fuji point a shoot camera. Just to be clear, the prochamber was an O/R but I had hi-flows welded in. The hi-flow cats are small compared to the stock cats. They are only about 4" in diameter. Here is the clip
YouTube - 06 Mustang with magnapacks and hi-flow catted prochamber
Compared to the O/R prochamber, the hi-flows smoothed out the sound, got rid of some of the raspiness and gave it a deeper tone.

Sounds good man. I wish MAC still made a catted Prochamber instead of having to resort to a chop job. Did putting the thing on give you any noticeable performance increase (power and/or fuel economy)?

For me if I switched it would either be a setup like yours or (pricier) an MRT Catted H-Pipe.

Adding hi-flows did increase the tq down low that I was lacking with the o/r prochamber. I dynoed the car both without and with hi-flow cats. I took the car to the same dyno about 4 weeks apart. The temp on both days was close to the same. Without cats I dynoed 302.52 RWHP and 305.07 RWTQ.
With hi-flows 305.48RWHP and 311.67 RWTQ.

drone is really a consequence of the cabin more than the muffler. Certain mufflers can enhance the problem more than others. A muffler like a corsa simply cancles out the resonant freq of the cabin, i.e., is completely quite at a certain rpm range. That is not a good solution in my book, because its like having a silent engine. Rather than trying to find a muffler that does not drone, you can fix your cabin by adding dynamat to any interior panels that might vibrate. Namely, the footwells, but anywhere you can put it will help.

yea, what GD said. Dynamat !! In the trunk and any large, flat surfaces that are especially prone to resonate.