The Junk Pyle has moved forward, well sort of

• Sponsors (?)

So I had a chance to terrorize the motoring masses this morning, took the valdez to the dentist, for work on my teeth not on the valdez, when I returned home walking away from the car the cooling fan came on for a few seconds then off. :chin never done that before, did I leave the ignition on? Of course not. I'm sure it's wired to ignition on and not hot all the time, but then it was a few years ago and I couldn't tell you what I had for lunch yesterday, CRS. Oh yah, I didn't have lunch. Today I did, bratwurst, so while in the kitchen looking out the window that overlooks my backyard domain I noticed the parking lights where on in the valdez! WDF! It's daylight, like noon daylight! Ok no big deal, the headlight switch was in park mode. Then I heard the cooling fan come on again! Damn, what is going on? Turn the switch off, fan turns off, turn park lights on fan cycles on and off with the thermostat, only common between lights and fan is the ground that is in the same place on the radiator support, I think, CRS. I should really take notes when I do things to this car, guess the exxon valdez is say'n he needs some love.
I made him an appointment with the head shade tree mechanic, ME!
Immediate check list:
Whats up with the cooling fan and the park lights
cel comes on after driving a few miles
Annoying thump in the rear on right side when suspension drops, originally thought to be the hatch because the plastic bushing on the striker was gone but replaced that a while back and thump is still there, hoping it is like spare tire/ jack or handle has come loose but I doubt it's that easy, I turned the hooker loose long time ago so I know it's not her, probably the bushing in those lcas that are likely cheap junk because I can't remember where I got them from but I do have a receipt, now where did I put that?
Oh, and that oil leak. Right.

Reactions: 1 user
So I had a chance to terrorize the motoring masses this morning, took the valdez to the dentist, for work on my teeth not on the valdez, when I returned home walking away from the car the cooling fan came on for a few seconds then off. :chin never done that before, did I leave the ignition on? Of course not. I'm sure it's wired to ignition on and not hot all the time, but then it was a few years ago and I couldn't tell you what I had for lunch yesterday, CRS. Oh yah, I didn't have lunch. Today I did, bratwurst, so while in the kitchen looking out the window that overlooks my backyard domain I noticed the parking lights where on in the valdez! WDF! It's daylight, like noon daylight! Ok no big deal, the headlight switch was in park mode. Then I heard the cooling fan come on again! Damn, what is going on? Turn the switch off, fan turns off, turn park lights on fan cycles on and off with the thermostat, only common between lights and fan is the ground that is in the same place on the radiator support, I think, CRS. I should really take notes when I do things to this car, guess the exxon valdez is say'n he needs some love.
I made him an appointment with the head shade tree mechanic, ME!
Immediate check list:
Whats up with the cooling fan and the park lights
cel comes on after driving a few miles
Annoying thump in the rear on right side when suspension drops, originally thought to be the hatch because the plastic bushing on the striker was gone but replaced that a while back and thump is still there, hoping it is like spare tire/ jack or handle has come loose but I doubt it's that easy, I turned the hooker loose long time ago so I know it's not her, probably the bushing in those lcas that are likely cheap junk because I can't remember where I got them from but I do have a receipt, now where did I put that?
Oh, and that oil leak. Right.

Better write down when that appointment is so you don’t forget.;)

• Agree
that's right, now I can get to the storage area in the attic,
I didn't like the way the last bit on the floor is so I need to redo that but the rest is pretty spiffy, Here are some pics.
pay little attention to the off brand pickup in the corner.
20190512_100502.jpg
20190512_100559.jpg
20190512_100620.jpg

Now I can get to work on car/truck stuff
my goal is to drive the exxon valdes to some cruise on the coast so I can follow mike around with a box on my head.
we will see.
Did you epoxy the floor? Or is it painted

Epoxy, only the best!
What did you use to do so? We just bought a house and closed last week so now I’m eager before we move in to repaint the entire garage which I have never actually painted before but can’t be that hard and epoxy the floor. Was looking at the rustoleum rocksolid kit, cover 2.5 car garage which claims to 20x stronger than epoxy. Reviews are back and forth good and bad. Also looking at this epoxy-coat, surely more expensive but reviews seem to all be good. Not trying to go all out price wise. Rock solid kit is 214 plus I believe I might need to buy a clear coat. Or the epoxy-coat kit which comes out to be 600 delivered. Seen picture of both, a friend of mine did the epoxy coat and honestly they both look good.

Attachments

• EBAA9302-F9A9-4E47-8255-7191D87BD4F4.jpeg
    EBAA9302-F9A9-4E47-8255-7191D87BD4F4.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 116
  • D6BE6C78-FD96-4F78-A728-25773252398E.jpeg
    D6BE6C78-FD96-4F78-A728-25773252398E.jpeg
    345.8 KB · Views: 131
  • 728CDAB1-63C2-4E60-B6F8-2602345F6AFD.jpeg
    728CDAB1-63C2-4E60-B6F8-2602345F6AFD.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 135
What did you use to do so? We just bought a house and closed last week so now I’m eager before we move in to repaint the entire garage which I have never actually painted before but can’t be that hard and epoxy the floor. Was looking at the rustoleum rocksolid kit, cover 2.5 car garage which claims to 20x stronger than epoxy. Reviews are back and forth good and bad. Also looking at this epoxy-coat, surely more expensive but reviews seem to all be good. Not trying to go all out price wise. Rock solid kit is 214 plus I believe I might need to buy a clear coat. Or the epoxy-coat kit which comes out to be 600 delivered. Seen picture of both, a friend of mine did the epoxy coat and honestly they both look good.

Attachments

• C97D03EB-749D-484A-A3AA-369F08ABD376.jpeg
    C97D03EB-749D-484A-A3AA-369F08ABD376.jpeg
    97.4 KB · Views: 130
  • 6C941FCD-EA65-4EC5-9E9F-9142C107E599.jpeg
    6C941FCD-EA65-4EC5-9E9F-9142C107E599.jpeg
    812.7 KB · Views: 131
Used rustoleum epoxy shield from lowes, I think the pic of the box is on page 9 maybe about post #147? Go to thisoldhouse.com (I think that is where it's at) for better instructions on prep/application, the condition of the floor is very important, new concrete is best but you should wait at least 60 days after pour, if it has a trowel finish you need to etch it or it will not stick. I did not use the non slip additive, it will make it hard to clean but it will be slick when wet. And if you get gas or diesel on it don't wipe it up, let it dry naturally then use dish soap and water to clean it.
Block or wood frame?

Used rustoleum epoxy shield from lowes, I think the pic of the box is on page 9 maybe about post #147? Go to thisoldhouse.com (I think that is where it's at) for better instructions on prep/application, the condition of the floor is very important, new concrete is best but you should wait at least 60 days after pour, if it has a trowel finish you need to etch it or it will not stick. I did not use the non slip additive, it will make it hard to clean but it will be slick when wet. And if you get gas or diesel on it don't wipe it up, let it dry naturally then use dish soap and water to clean it.
Block or wood frame?
I will have to take pics bc I’m not sure on any of this. It’s our first home, so idk if it’s blocked or wood framed or what that means. The house was built in 1995, I’m not sure if the concrete was treated but I don’t think it was. I’ll send over some pics once I get back over to the house.

The question of wood or block was just curiosity, living in fl and having been through many hurricanes I prefer block homes/garages. Now about that floor, if the garage floor was poured in 95 the most important thing is to get it as clean as possible, any oil stains need to be dealt with or nothing you put on it will stick. My advice would be to take an 'oil dry' product (not kitty litter) and grind it into the stain then wash with a degreaser and then detergent. I would etch it too but that's just me, make sure the surface is dust free and dry. If you can swipe your fingers across it and they are clean then you can apply the coating of your choice.

• Agree
Ok so the garage needs a good cleaning currently which I plan on doing and repainting all the walls. I think my concrete is treated, I dropped some water and looks to be bubbling or repelling vs soaking in. Can you tell? It has a sheen to it but not everywhere. If so I guess that means I’d have to diamond cut correct? Don’t know why this woman thought I had a garage sale though!
00AE4ABB-315E-4300-B79D-8C12B8F413D5.jpeg
4B1077D5-E774-4425-9EBF-6BC762CF3165.jpeg
9D254B9C-0B2D-4142-B21A-C171EF5AAD72.jpeg
041F130A-8AA7-4D65-8127-2277AFBF6ADD.jpeg
7156BD9C-D799-4B15-A6D5-D40AFDE31869.jpeg

Let me update this thread for those few that are following.
first it's been a month since I have taken the exxon valdez out for a ride. It has been relegated to the back yard to gather dust and leak fluids so I can concentrate on a couple things that need done or at least movable. Most of the time has been getting the old brand X truck reliable enough to take for a ride once in awhile, king pins made it less scary to pilot around town along with a fuel pump. The wipers are vacuum operated, for those youngsters that are say'n WTF? yeah they work, when they want to! The 'Girl at the other end of the couch' thought that was the funniest thing the first time we had to use them! Turn the switch and maybe a few seconds, maybe a min they will slowly rise up across the windshield, stop, then drop. If lucky it will continue to swip back and forth till you come to a stop. At that point they will also stop. Now this would be really annoying if it was not so funny to watch. I have a generous amount of rain x on the windshield so it's not really an issue. There are a few ways to deal with this, install a 6 volt electric wiper motor, swap the 6 volt system to 12 volt and use a 12 volt motor or install a vacuum can with a check valve. The course I am taking involves a vacuum can and check valve. Simple right? Now lets complicate things, the old engines have a draft tube. Let me explain for the youngsters that again are thinking WTF? A road tube is the original crankcase evacuation system, a tube from the block just above the oil pan that curves down and the end cut at an angle that relieves the crankcase of vapors. But it is only efficient at speeds above 30 mph and it drips oil. I hate oil drips. Most of the oil drips onto a pan under the truck so I don't have to clean my garage floor. I actually have a couple pans under the truck because that is not the only place it leaks. Now the fix for the road tube is to replace it with a pcv system. What has this got to do with the wipers? There is only one vacuum port on this 6 cylinder engine and it is for the wipers. What to do? You can't T off this vacuum line for both. They make a mechanical fuel pump with a built in vacuum pump, it needs a fuel pump anyway so with the addition of a vacuum can the wiper issue is resolved so now you have place for the vacuum part of the pcv valve. Of course I am not going to run rubber vacuum hoses, I want a clean factory looking install so I'm going to use hard lines, that should tax my tube bending skills! There is a kit for about a hundred bucks shipped but I have to wait for them to make it and I think, no, I'm sure I could do it for far less. Even with the purchase of a tube bender! I am gathering stuff for that now.
I also have a bike trailer that I bought many years ago with the intentions of converting it into a car trailer. It was built for 3 full dress road bikes, I should say 'over built'! You can get a glimpse of it in a couple pics in this thread, you need a real truck to pull this thing even empty and it takes up an entire lane! Well it never got converted, why? Well life in general and the fact that I have a 'dump' truck so I've never needed it. With the garage built now it's just in the way so it got tires and is going to be sold for car funds unless 'the girl' finds some reason to remodel some part of the house that probably does not need it.
I am also upgrading the lights in the new garage, I installed a trio of 48" led lights so we could get the final on the garage and to see just how much light they put out. I knew is was not going to be enough but I can swap them to the shop and the storage area so no waste there, I got two 8 ' led light fixtures on line and swapped one already on the work side of the garage, not impressed with the fixtures but the lighting is amazing.
so now that I got the old truck dependable for short trips to local shows which included king pins, tires, fuel pump, battery and a new exhaust, got the trailer moveable so it can be sold off, enough light in the work area of the garage it is going to be 'game on' for the exxon valdez! Stay tuned.
Oh, I promised a burn out video a while back for the three or four members that voted for me in the contest, I am going to do this before I tear into the car in case I break something. I'm sure I have enough spare parts to fix/replace whatever I may destroy.

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users
Hell, I thought I was reading one of my own posts...No spelling errors, no grammatical errors, nothing for me to bitch about...
I got nothing to say..except...( The thread title)
If the car is talking to you...what did it say, and when was it doing it?

Hell, I thought I was reading one of my own posts...No spelling errors, no grammatical errors, nothing for me to bitch about...
I got nothing to say..except...( The thread title)
If the car is talking to you...what did it say, and when was it doing it?
learned early to proof read my posts but sometimes I still muck it up!
as for what the exxon valdez says? I WANT TO GO FOR A DRIVE!
just remember to check the coolant before we go.
and the car speaks to me every time I look towards the back yard.
soon my friend, soon.