The "FrankenStang gets a makeover" progress thread.

Someone else who's done the Rustoleum paintjob:

http://www.rickwrench.com/50dollarpaint.html

This guy diluted his 50/50 with mineral spirits and it dried WAY faster; undiluted and rolled right outta the can mine took over a WEEK to really cure, and never laid down quite right. What the hell, it was my first try at it when I did my Notch, and this was before I knew that anyone else had ever tried it. :shrug:

I still wanna do something about that roof, but I dunno how keen you are on the idea of Bondo'ing and/or stripping the entire thing...?

• Sponsors (?)

Well, I don't know if Saleen even makes them anymore. Like I said, I've had this new one for like, 8 years. My old one is a real Saleen wing though. My X bought it back in the early '90's through Saleen. The front skirt too.

This guy diluted his 50/50 with mineral spirits and it dried WAY faster; undiluted and rolled right outta the can mine took over a WEEK to really cure, and never laid down quite right. What the hell, it was my first try at it when I did my Notch, and this was before I knew that anyone else had ever tried it. :shrug:

I still wanna do something about that roof, but I dunno how keen you are on the idea of Bondo'ing and/or stripping the entire thing...?

Whatever you want to do, I'm all for it. That roof is a MESS. :(

I want to see the finished product and pics of your notch if you guys don't mind. I want to try this so bad just for the sake of doing it lol. I am a **** up though and may **** it up.

Well, my notch isn't exactly a shining example of paintjob perfection. Again, at the time I did it, I wasn't aware that anyone else had ever tried it and, thus, was sort of figuring it out on my own as I went along. Thus, there's a lot of goof-ups that I made in doing so. Hopefully, Frankenstang's will turn out a great deal better than mine did.

Peek in My Garage for a couple of pics. I don't have anything of extreme close-up nature on hand to really show the goofs, right off hand. It does hold wax, though, and it's survived two Arizona summers, thus far. The only thing I need to do is give it an actual buffing at some point to get rid of the waterspots/haze that it's been developing. (The water out here SUCKS, and the sun/heat burns waterspots onto everything almost instantly.)

Well, my notch isn't exactly a shining example of paintjob perfection. Again, at the time I did it, I wasn't aware that anyone else had ever tried it and, thus, was sort of figuring it out on my own as I went along. Thus, there's a lot of goof-ups that I made in doing so. Hopefully, Frankenstang's will turn out a great deal better than mine did.

Peek in My Garage for a couple of pics. I don't have anything of extreme close-up nature on hand to really show the goofs, right off hand. It does hold wax, though, and it's survived two Arizona summers, thus far. The only thing I need to do is give it an actual buffing at some point to get rid of the waterspots/haze that it's been developing. (The water out here SUCKS, and the sun/heat burns waterspots onto everything almost instantly.)

Indeed

When do you plan on finishing up the carpi? :D

Ummmmmmmmm ... welllllllllll ...

Actually, I don't think it'll be *FINISHED* on Wednesday. But we'll at least have the first coat or two of the main paint rolled on there, by then. Depends on how long it takes to dry before we can recoat it, how many repeat coats that it needs, and then we have to reinstall all of the trim.

I'm thinkin' Sunday, at the latest, it should be back together and ready to rock.

Actually, I don't think it'll be *FINISHED* on Wednesday. But we'll at least have the first coat or two of the main paint rolled on there, by then. Depends on how long it takes to dry before we can recoat it, how many repeat coats that it needs, and then we have to reinstall all of the trim.

I'm thinkin' Sunday, at the latest, it should be back together and ready to rock.

Cool deal. Never to many pics lol.
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=12
Have you seen that?

Oh, brainfart. LOL

Me = Zombie for the rest of the day... :(

Wow that corvair tunred out awesome!

Indeed! Still though... It not as kewl as this:

grass_car.jpg

Now THAT's class. :D