Progress Thread The "grátis" 1966 Coupe - final sheet metal repairs

I love rotisserie chicken!

OIP.9sRxaKye1c8Z5yYXlz8MGgHaJD.jpeg

• Drool
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I got one thing I need to do first. I need to get off my butt and install the new fender aprons and radiator support. Once that is done, I’ll consider it ready to go on the rotisserie.

About time I got back on this. I took it off the cart, leveled it up, and supported the front frame rails. Next order of business is to install the new fender aprons and radiator support, then get it on the rotisserie.

D87A887C-1C48-400C-85E9-52A2CCC604CC.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
I'm over this garage. I didn't see any parts in the background that I can use. :(
I’ll have to get a picture of the murder garage again so you can see how I would lust over such a large open area. Hell, I’d probably lust over the dimensions of a ritz cracker box compared to my garage.

For now, let’s just say, “I like your garage Jon”. :nice:

I'm over this garage. I didn't see any parts in the background that I can use. :(
Yeah, I've not yet attained parts collector-level status. I'm not that cool yet.

I’ll have to get a picture of the murder garage again so you can see how I would lust over such a large open area. Hell, I’d probably lust over the dimensions of a ritz cracker box compared to my garage.

For now, let’s just say, “I like your garage Jon”. :nice:
I like it, too. It's roomier than the last house for sure!

After getting it level and supported I decided to remove what was left of the old radiator support. I was only planning the de-clutter the garage today. I got that done quickly and decided to get the car off the cart. I got that done much faster than I anticipated and decided to do a little work. It was really nice to work on the car again. I also got the new '67-'68 radiator support separated from the cross member.

I have a lot of metal to straighten out and cracks to weld up. This definitely was wrecked at some point. I removed the strut rod brackets as well since I won't be using them with the new suspension. Next time I'm out here I'll clean up what's left of the spot welds, hammer and dolly what I can, and go from there. I need to get another gas bottle.

0gWKKq7.jpg

KTaycux.jpg

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 2 users
It’s amazing how many things there are to fix when you completely redo a car huh?

It‘s like me once thinking I just wanted to get some good tires and getting the engine running on Booger was all, lol.

• Haha
A small little work day today between making a delicious breakfast, relaxing, and nothing in particular.

Started off with lowering the adjustable jack stands and re-leveling the car. It was a bit wobbly with the jack stands extended as high as they were previously. They were that high because they needed to be to get it off the cart.

It's much sturdier and easier to work on now.
SOkYOxn.jpg

After that, I got after removing what was left of the fender aprons, followed by fitting the new ones.
wEnvbnL.jpg

2Kg2iJw.jpg

aBjuEzd.jpg

The '67 radiator support looks right at home.
QvWlCXL.jpg

The battery apron is another story. It doesn't look like it will work without a lot of modification. I'm sure someone with some skill could make it work, but I don't consider myself at that level yet. I'm probably going to get another Dynacorn one-piece apron for the passenger side.
cLDs5dC.jpg

JdPSGdE.jpg

@horse sence provided me with some measurements earlier in the thread. I'll be using those to ensure everything is square before burning it in. Still need to get a gas bottle as well. I'm going to take some measurements of my cheapo welding cart so I can fabricate a sturdier one of my own.

Reactions: 4 users
One of the measurements you want is the inner shock tower shock mount hole to the opposite front corner....I found that one helped a lot....though getting a good measurement there requires you to have export brace and monte-carlo bar installed.