The Hammer Shifter - my 1st incident!

kalvick

Founding Member
Jun 29, 2001
Norwalk, CT
It is spring where I live, but its still cold. So I took it to one of those touchless car wash places so I could get it clean and be ready for the 1st day of driving for the spring/summer year.

When I get to the place, I give the attendent instructions on how to operate a ratchet shifter. He says ok and drives off, when the car is all washed another guy tries to start it and cant get it into gear.

Im standing at the entrance, and I watch this guy struggle with the shifter in the back of the building, He puts the car into reverse but cant figure out how to get it into drive. so he move the shifter again and the car is in Nuetral, he gives it gas and all the car does is rev. Im laughing to myself but I figure I should go to the back of the building and tell the guy how to get it into drive.

Fortunately the guy gets it into drive, before I start walking back there. he gets to the front of the building and he doesn't know how to put it back into park. he can only manage to get it into nuetral.

I tell the guy its fine so he can get out and I get in and drive away.

When I get home I wrote up instructions oh how to operate the shifter and have it laminated. so the next time my car needs, servicing, or valet'ed, or other stupid reason for me to give the keys to someone else, they know how to operate my car and don't screw it up.

• Sponsors (?)

I was thinking of getting on of those shifters, but decided against it because I know my wife would never be able to use it. She's already pissed at me because she can't figure out how to watch tv wit my my home audio video system LOL.