Build Thread The Hoopty Chronicles - New House, New garage, New Car?

• Sponsors (?)

29D1CD34-6CD6-4933-9BEE-C0E4305A8C6F.jpeg

Lawn hair nationals. Forgot my lawn chair.

Reactions: 1 user
Did some early morning cruising. Probably did 70-80 miles. Car cruises great, but has a nasty engine vibration at high rpm. Not sure what it is, also don’t really care right now. I’m burned out on it. But man, i loved cruising around.

8DB94385-9B43-4B1A-ABE7-14EF8028C4A7.jpeg
437371D8-B1EF-4164-B8CF-E5422A078D50.jpeg
D263A79D-6AFF-4CB6-840A-340CA40BA7AB.jpeg

• Winner
Reactions: 8 users
I'm going to cut open my oil filter tonight. After the cruise yesterday, it really worries me that the motor was vibrating so bad in the upper RPM range. If there's evidence that the motor is eating itself, I'm going to go buy a new oil filter and a 'for sale' sign and get rid of it. I'm done messing with it.

I'm going to cut open my oil filter tonight. After the cruise yesterday, it really worries me that the motor was vibrating so bad in the upper RPM range. If there's evidence that the motor is eating itself, I'm going to go buy a new oil filter and a 'for sale' sign and get rid of it. I'm done messing with it.
I don’t blame you .

I think I can put my imbalance theory to bed.
SCAT only makes 1 cast 3.5" crank, and it's 28oz external. the flywheel was from the old motor and works fine. I double checked the damper p/n and it's for sure a 28oz damper. The parts are all correct in that regard. I'm headed home in a few minutes to go cut the filter open.

I've been biting my cyber-tongue here but.......remember me making the argument that you NEEDED to resize the connecting rods that your machinist told you would be alright if you didn't?

That looks like bearing material to me, and after a rod failure like you had, there would be no freakin way that I'd put a rod back on that journal that had that bearing in it w/o working that rod back to round.
*edit*

And now after having went back and read some previous comments from you, it would also appear that you put stuff together and didn't have it balanced ( or maybe you did). If you threw rods, pistons, a crank, balancer and a flywheel together from potential different origins and didn't balance the recip assy,...again...there'd be no freakin way.

I don't blame you for the frustration,...I was there myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I think I can put my imbalance theory to bed.
SCAT only makes 1 cast 3.5" crank, and it's 28oz external. the flywheel was from the old motor and works fine. I double checked the damper p/n and it's for sure a 28oz damper. The parts are all correct in that regard. I'm headed home in a few minutes to go cut the filter open
I've been biting my cyber-tongue here but.......remember me making the argument that you NEEDED to resize the connecting rods that your machinist told you would be alright if you didn't?

That looks like bearing material to me, and after a rod failure like you had, there would be no freakin way that I'd put a rod back on that journal that had that bearing in it w/o working that rod back to round.
*edit*

And now after having went back and read some previous comments from you, it would also appear that you put stuff together and didn't have it balanced ( or maybe you did). If you threw rods, pistons, a crank, balancer and a flywheel together from potential different origins and didn't balance the recip assy,...again...there'd be no freakin way.

I don't blame you for the frustration,...I was there myself.
He did resize the rods, there were 3 that needed some work.

The balance is the issue I think. I can honestly say I didn't know. I thought 28oz was 28oz. I mean... say you get a new flywheel on an engine that's been running for a while. Do you have to pull the whole engine apart and rebalance everything? Same for a balancer... The old one disentegrates and you replace it. Pull the whole engine apart again? That doesnt make any sense to me.

Last edited:
I guess its time for the mouth breathers to have their way. I hate selling sht.

*I don't expect the car to sell, but it's going to sit for a while. IF someone decides they need it, then so be it. *

****This is also not an ad, it's just a screenshot of an ad posted somewhere else.*****

1540300749115.png