Build Thread The Hoopty Chronicles - New House, New garage, New Car?

I think I can put my imbalance theory to bed.
SCAT only makes 1 cast 3.5" crank, and it's 28oz external. the flywheel was from the old motor and works fine. I double checked the damper p/n and it's for sure a 28oz damper. The parts are all correct in that regard. I'm headed home in a few minutes to go cut the filter open

He did resize the rods, there were 3 that needed some work.

The balance is the issue I think. I can honestly say I didn't know. I thought 28oz was 28oz. I mean... say you get a new flywheel on an engine that's been running for a while. Do you have to pull the whole engine apart and rebalance everything? Same for a balancer... The old one disentegrates and you replace it. Pull the whole engine apart again? That doesnt make any sense to me.
everytime they've resized my conn rod, all 8 got worked. They grind a small amount off of the cap, and make the opening smaller, then open it up to the correct diameter.
As for your vibration, if you have a rod bearing leaving you, then that rod is what you're feeling I think, unless it was that way from minute one.

I realize that this is a big pita, but Think about this, it's how I rationalized pulling my engine out to fix the leaks..

How much time does it really take?

A day to pull it?

A day to pull it apart?

A day to get it to a place to fix it?
Then reverse the process..

A week out of your life doing car guy stuff.

• Sponsors (?)

everytime they've resized my conn rod, all 8 got worked. They grind a small amount off of the cap, and make the opening smaller, then open it up to the correct diameter.
As for your vibration, if you have a rod bearing leaving you, then that rod is what you're feeling I think, unless it was that way from minute one.

I realize that this is a big pita, but Think about this, it's how I rationalized pulling my engine out to fix the leaks..

How much time does it really take?

A day to pull it?

A day to pull it apart?

A day to get it to a place to fix it?
Then reverse the process..

A week out of your life doing car guy stuff.
Yes to all, BUT you've got time to do that. How old is your youngest now? I don't have that luxury anymore.

*edit

Forgot money. Take it to a machine shop -the whole short block with directions to:
- disassemble
- clean everything
- machine anything thats FUBAR
- balance everything
- reassemble it all

What's that gonna be, $1500??

Last edited:
Yes to all, BUT you've got time to do that. How old is your youngest now? I don't have that luxury anymore.

*edit

Forgot money. Take it to a machine shop -the whole short block with directions to:
- disassemble
- clean everything
- machine anything thats FUBAR
- balance everything
- reassemble it all

What's that gonna be, $1500??

You could always take up golf.
Shoes, clubs, lessons, and hundreds of dollars spent on greens fees, new "magic" putters/drivers, dozens of balls lost in the woods, and at the bottom of the lakes.

Then, after thousands of dollars spent trying to get good, and never ever breaking par.....

You're wondering......what the hell am I gonna do with all this crap now?

Reactions: 1 user
You could always take up golf.
Shoes, clubs, lessons, and hundreds of dollars spent on greens fees, new "magic" putters/drivers, dozens of balls lost in the woods, and at the bottom of the lakes.

Then, after thousands of dollars spent trying to get good, and never ever breaking par.....

You're wondering......what the hell am I gonna do with all this crap now?
I’ve got a bunch of brewing and distilling apparatus i need to get back in to

Im also kicking around parting out the 351 stuff. Theres a complete 302 intake to pan locally for $1500 that I could plop in and be cruising really soon. I could make that easily with the 351 parts and turbo stuff

I really hope you keep it! I am doubtful that the balance took out a bearing. Never say never. In a unbalanced situation the outside edge of the main will show scrubbing this is from loss of oil film due to crank flex. This usually will not lead to bearing failure as it would have to extremely severe by destroying itself or drive trash into the rod journal further worsening the situation. I once had a 350sbc and put a 400 externally balanced balance on it. Had a vibration but it did not kill it swapped to the correct balancer and away it went.
Scott

I really hope you keep it! I am doubtful that the balance took out a bearing. Never say never. In a unbalanced situation the outside edge of the main will show scrubbing this is from loss of oil film due to crank flex. This usually will not lead to bearing failure as it would have to extremely severe by destroying itself or drive trash into the rod journal further worsening the situation. I once had a 350sbc and put a 400 externally balanced balance on it. Had a vibration but it did not kill it swapped to the correct balancer and away it went.
Scott
You’re always good for experienced advice, thanks! If they guy that came tonight doesn’t buy it, I’ll keep it. Momma gave me permission to set funds aside for a few months. Maybe by then I’ll feel like pulling the motor out and taking it to a machine shop to be fixed and built the right way!