Build Thread The Hoopty Chronicles - New House, New garage, New Car?

• Sponsors (?)

Talk to Reed at Work turbo in Pelham Al.
That guy talked to me for an hour when I bought the current BW SX300....recommended a specific AR turbine wheel, and built it according to his recommendation.

What I got in the end is a turbo that spools at part throttle, and is completely at full boost at 2500 RPM...

Not saying that you gotta buy anything from him, that'll be up to you. But considering that I knew nothing about it when I went into his shop, and I have such a perfect working combo now, It'd be worth the time spent on the phone.
Bought my 366s from Reed as well. Great pricing and helpful info.

Also, congrats again on the incoming child.
Pretty exciting stuff. I went the route of "this thing better run before October or I'm screwed" for a while and it was a pace I couldn't keep up with. I'm sure your wife has or will soon start the dreaded nesting and your list of :poo: to do on off days won't involve the car too much. Mine won't be done before ours arrives, not by a long shot now lol. But it's a lot more fun now that I don't care as much :shrug:

That said, I'm glad this thread is going again. One of a few threads here I really enjoy following.

Reactions: 4 users
Im in a tight spot. The motor I got is junk and I can't use it. I need a complete, useable roller 351w shortblock for under $500 if anyone can track some thing down in the Texas area. I was going to build a good motor but momma said no way with the kid on the way.

Yes, you read that right. I tried to do it the right way.

Reactions: 3 users
Is your original 351 junk? I know it spun some bearings?
Yes, it's gone. I traded it for some other parts a while back.

I have a line on a good block, I have good rotating assembly. But the block purchase and machining costs are a problem. I'm liquidating whatever I can to buy the block (from the machinist) and let him get it ready. I can't afford to pay him to build it, unfortunately. That sucks, because time is my least plentiful commodity right now.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, it's gone. I traded it for some other parts a while back.

I have a line on a good block, I have good rotating assembly. But the block purchase and machining costs are a problem. I'm liquidating whatever I can to buy the block (from the machinist) and let him get it ready. I can't afford to pay him to build it, unfortunately. That sucks, because time is my least plentiful commodity right now.
You'll eventually get some of the time back, no guarantee on the money thing now that the tiny hand in your wallet commands the highest priority. If patience is not part of the equation then maybe it's time to boost an Explorer engine or run the 351w NA and fund it with the sale of the turbo? Just thinking out loud here :stick:

I thought after my twin daughters came into my life that I would have no money left for my hobbies....I was wrong. Then I thought divorce was going to be the financial ruin of me while having my kids 80%+ of the time (no child support).....I was wrong. My income has not changed but the way I manage my money has and I'm actually better financially now than I ever have been. Work provides and pays for my Iphone 6, I cancelled Directv and now have Prime + Netflix so that's only $20 p/mo, only one small credit card, no car payments..etc. My paycheck is mine!! With patience things will clear up for you if you manage time and money well. Babies nap a lot so take the baby monitor out to the garage and get to work Collin ;)

Reactions: 8 users
You'll eventually get some of the time back, no guarantee on the money thing now that the tiny hand in your wallet commands the highest priority. If patience is not part of the equation then maybe it's time to boost an Explorer engine or run the 351w NA and fund it with the sale of the turbo? Just thinking out loud here :stick:

I thought after my twin daughters came into my life that I would have no money left for my hobbies....I was wrong. Then I thought divorce was going to be the financial ruin of me while having my kids 80%+ of the time (no child support).....I was wrong. My income has not changed but the way I manage my money has and I'm actually better financially now than I ever have been. Work provides and pays for my Iphone 6, I cancelled Directv and now have Prime + Netflix so that's only $20 p/mo, only one small credit card, no car payments..etc. My paycheck is mine!! With patience things will clear up for you if you manage time and money well. Babies nap a lot so take the baby monitor out to the garage and get to work Collin ;)
thanks man, all excellent points. I've done a lot of the same things. Im scraping money together right now and will figure out what I have to work with by the end of the week. NA 351 is option 2 if I can't get the turbo back on it.

Reactions: 2 users
When my girlfriend got pregnant I figured I would never be able to do anything for myself ever. So my last hurrah was the Skip Barber racing school and a shifter kart school. I grouped it all together in a west coast vacation with my best friend from high school. That was over 21 years ago during the blizzard of '96. I completely missed that blizzard! Anyway, things worked out and nowadays I am a blue collar family man, and I have the foxbody hobby. It will all work out.
A lot of the lightning forum guys swear by the stock ho mustang cam upgrade in their lightning engines. And those are speed density efi trucks. I am gonna build a normally aspirated 351 for the Daddywagon. My plan is to try an efi long rod 351. I already have 400m connecting rods, and .030 kb333 pistons, and f4te block and crank. Machining this winter hopefully. Keep at it. Family comes first but you don't have to give up everything you enjoy.

Reactions: 3 users
There's no reason to worry about finances when it comes to balancing kids and car projects. When you have that much motivation it just makes you work harder for the things you love.

I've got 4 kids that look up to me for support. Their whole lives I've had some kind of mustang project. All of their first words included " mufthangh ". All of them want a mustang fox for their first cars.

It wasn't easy all the time but you'd be amazed what a piece here and a part there will do.

Surprisingly, my youngest is 10 now and this is the longest taking project I've ever had....but its also taking the most money.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks guys. I'm laying some groundwork as we speak. I've sold enough stuff to get the motor here. I need to keep selling stuff to get the misc gaskets and stuff, then I'm going to try and weasel my way into a turbo somehow. I sold the 76/65 a while ago. I know where it is at, so worst case I can buy it back.

Reactions: 1 user
I think we all go through it when the first one arrives. The "I've gotta stop being a kid because I have a real kid coming" mindset sets in, and life as we know it is getting ready to take a giant step off of a cliff.

So if you're me,..You sell off that black and white Zephyr that you see in the pic, and settle in for 18 years of diapers, formula, clothes, daycare, and school supplies.

Then,...about 6 months after you've sold the car for 50% of what you had in it, you realize that life has not changed so drastically that you can't find a way to have your cake and eat it too.

And you build another car. (and another,....and another,.. + 7 more over the next 25 years)

I'm not saying it's gonna be the exact same as it was when you were DINK, but you'll find that you'll be able to make things happen if you want it...

Reactions: 1 users
I think we all go through it when the first one arrives. The "I've gotta stop being a kid because I have a real kid coming" mindset sets in, and life as we know it is getting ready to take a giant step off of a cliff.

So if you're me,..You sell off that black and white Zephyr that you see in the pic, and settle in for 18 years of diapers, formula, clothes, daycare, and school supplies.

Then,...about 6 months after you've sold the car for 50% of what you had in it, you realize that life has not changed so drastically that you can't find a way to have your cake and eat it too.

And you build another car. (and another,....and another,.. + 7 more over the next 25 years)

I'm not saying it's gonna be the exact same as it was when you were DINK, but you'll find that you'll be able to make things happen if you want it...
I hope so. Not only do I have a child on the way, but I was also told recently that I am going to be given my own project to run early next year (I've been co-managing for the last 2 years), which isn't going to make things easier during the week. 2018 is going to be nuts, that's for sure! .....And I mean that in the best way possible.

My best advice on that one.. (from someone who has run jobs) is people management, work every person to there strength. By doing so you get the most work out of them per dollar. Also skilled labor isn't cheap and cheap labor isn't skilled.

My best advice on that one.. (from someone who has run jobs) is people management, work every person to there strength. By doing so you get the most work out of them per dollar. Also skilled labor isn't cheap and cheap labor isn't skilled.
Yes, yes, and yes. I've been co-managing for 2 years now on paper but the reality is that I have really been pulling the strings on my own, hence getting my own soon. Good news is the $$ is lightyears better. Bad news is longer hours... I think?

In car related news, I've got commitments to buy a lot of my parts I have laying around. More than I expected actually.

Reactions: 5 users
351w prices have gotten out of hand.

There's a block for $400.

There's a complete pullout, intake to pan with harness and computer FOR A GRAND. "Will not part out". It's been up for a month. I offered the guy $500 and he basically told me to pound sand.
HOW IN THE HELL DOES $500 for a worn out truck motor get turned down?!?

Of course, I've scoured all of texas looking for a 351w and have got nowhere. Gonna have to bite the bullet and ship one down from the great white north.

We have one in the service truck at work.

Think they would notice if I pulled it out and shipped it to ya?:O_o:

They are few and far between up here also. Fwiw the non rollers are a little more common but still hard to come by